It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Soccer Team Punished for World Cup Failure

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't recall saying that every story from the mass media is true.
Must have happened in one of those different timelines.

And I think you must have missed the source for some of that was from The Guardian.

Why does it appear that if I had not used any sources and just posted this without any quotes it seems I would have been criticized less?
LOL

[edit on 30/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
One Truth the articles reveal, failure brings embarrassment, humiliation and insults, these things are of cultural import to the NK's.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
These players had to endure six hours of public humiliation and criticism. Then they were forced to one by one criticize their manager.
This is not that surprising though, unfortunately.
If the team had done better, it would have been used to help ease the power transfer to little Kims son.
But now the team has apparently disgraced the son and the country.

They seem to forget that in the big picture, it is a game.

At least they didn't get sent to a prison camp like previous teams have.

With the whole thing being propaganda I'm surprised you won't add, "their heads have been chopped off due to their failure in World Cup"

That is the one thing you left out.

The rest, criticism and shame? WOW..

Loosing by 12 goals in 3 games is shame, criticism isn't shame. Firstly the players were criticized, then the manager was criticized by the players.

Ofcourse, if it wasn't propaganda it wouldn't say they were forced to criticize their manager lol.

And obviously it wouldn't add that North Korea is one of the world's most oppressive regimes.

It is Western propaganda machine at its best.

They say the same crap about all their enemies.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

You do realize that I didn't write that for Newsweek right?
My comments about it were basically thoughts directly from the article as well.
But thank you for treating me like an idiot.

The only part out of all the content in the introductory posts that came from me was:

If you read the article you would already know that.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hello

I would have thought that the only REAL and Sensible humiliation for the NK team would have been to ........

WEAR AN ENGLAND FOOTBALL SHIRT

and then parade around Seoul or where ever they were told too....

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

But by your reckoning every story in MSM that comes out of North Korea must be untrue, equally ridiculous!

How much faith do we have in any news stories we hear?

I suspect there maybe an element of truth in this as I recall hearing grumblings of dis-satisfaction during The World Cup.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

You do realize that I didn't write that for Newsweek right?
My comments about it were basically thoughts directly from the article as well.
But thank you for treating me like an idiot.

The only part out of all the content in the introductory posts that came from me was:

If you read the article you would already know that.

I only clarified that this is propaganda, which you didn't mention in your comment, does that make you an idiot? No, but it does make you an accomplice.

It is just a game? Can you convert this article and add an American team in there? Do you have the capability to compare, contrast and reflect?

Are you telling me American teams haven't been put in spot light? Or managers haven't been fired before?

Your thinking is too narrow, that's why you already jumped to the conclusion thinking I treat you like an idiot.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

It is Western propaganda machine at its best.

They say the same crap about all their enemies.

No it isn't.

I remember Iran playing in The World Cup in 1998 & 2006 and can't recall any comments about the political enmity between Iran and The West.

Politics has no place in sport.

Oh, and by the way, is this The West that gave you safe haven when you fled The Taliban?

Edit to correct grammar and spelling.

[edit on 30/7/10 by Freeborn]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

No it isn't.

I remember Iran playing in The World Cup in 1998 & 2006 and can't recall any comments about the political enmity between Iran and The West.

Poltics has no place in sport.

Oh, and by the way, is this The West that gave you safe haven when you fled The Taliban?

Actually when Iran a$$ w00ped America, they had a "jashn", if you know what that means lol. If was huge..

Here watch this:
www.youtube.com...

Watch the whole video, watch the crowd. This resulted "and one of the largest street parties ever held in Tehran."

And no, it wasn't the West, it was Pakistan.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by oozyism]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by oozyism]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

American teams are always talked about. Funny how they don't get "punished" for not winning though. And when managers are fired, it's not the nation/government that does the firing.

Yes I can compare and contrast thank you very much.
Maybe I should have just said you are patronizing, instead of treating me like an idiot.
If you don't want to believe anything the press ever says, fine by me.

Calling me an "accomplice" is a bit right wing even for you isn't it? I did not set out to mislead anyone. I posted an article. That's it.

Relax a bit. You are no better than anyone else on ATS. And that quote is all mine. Print it out and save a copy to put under your pillow.

You are free to have your own opinions. I'm sure you know that. What you don't seem to realize is everyone else has a right to their own opinions, too.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

The only explanation of 'jashn' I can find are a Bollywood film and a Zoroastrian prayer ceremony of sorts, I presume you mean the latter and I'm certain you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Who cares what the score was, especially an Englishman.
I was merely pointing out that there were no attempts at political propoganda during their appearances.

Pakistan?
Where do you live now oozy ?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I think he means a "celebration" by saying "Jashn".
That is what it means in Punjabi.

I don't see the big deal though, or the relevance.

It is common around the world for people to celebrate and party when "their team" wins a big game.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

American teams are always talked about. Funny how they don't get "punished" for not winning though. And when managers are fired, it's not the nation/government that does the firing.

Yes I can compare and contrast thank you very much.
Maybe I should have just said you are patronizing, instead of treating me like an idiot.
If you don't want to believe anything the press ever says, fine by me.

Calling me an "accomplice" is a bit right wing even for you isn't it? I did not set out to mislead anyone. I posted an article. That's it.

Relax a bit. You are no better than anyone else on ATS. And that quote is all mine. Print it out and save a copy to put under your pillow.

You are free to have your own opinions. I'm sure you know that. What you don't seem to realize is everyone else has a right to their own opinions, too.

Yeah you don't they don't get punished lol are you saying players, and managers don't get fired? That is outrageous, and you don't think they get criticized by the media? That is outrageous.

Do I have to find you an example for you to believe me lol

Once again, criticism is not punishment, and it is not humiliation. That is part of the game, so the players can learn from their mistakes.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Maybe you need to read that again, dude. I said American teams don't get punished. I said managers DO get fired. Just not by the government like in NK. And its not for a six hour berating. It is in the media. TV and print and internet and radio.
Where did I say that teams or players are never criticized? Please point out where I said that.
Read the post you are responding to -- if you are going criticize it, know what it is you are criticizing.
BTW thanks a lot for completely trying to derail the thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by oozyism

The only explanation of 'jashn' I can find are a Bollywood film and a Zoroastrian prayer ceremony of sorts, I presume you mean the latter and I'm certain you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I was merely pointing out that there were no attempts at political propoganda during their appearances.

Pakistan?

Watch the whole video, watch the crowd. This resulted "and one of the largest street parties ever held in Tehran."

Jashn means party, or a big celebration.

After they defeated America, they had one of the biggest celebration in Tehran to date lol

www.youtube.com...

Watch, they are rubbing it in the US's face lol

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by oozyism

Pakistan?

Jashn means party, or a big celebration.

After they defeated America, they had one of the biggest celebration in Tehran to date lol

www.youtube.com...

Watch, they are rubbing it in the US's face lol

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Maybe you need to read that again, dude. I said American teams don't get punished. I said managers DO get fired. Just not by the government like in NK. And its not for a six hour berating. It is in the media. TV and print and internet and radio.
Where did I say that teams or players are never criticized? Please point out where I said that.
Read the post you are responding to -- if you are going criticize it, know what it is you are criticizing.
BTW thanks a lot for completely trying to derail the thread.

ZZZ the soccer team of NKorea is owned by the state. That is where the confusion is.

They both get criticized, fired, etc.

So how does that make NKorea oppressive?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

What does that have to do with anything in the OP?

Like I said before, it is common worldwide for people to celebrate when their "home team" wins.

I see no relevance in your video or example of Irans team winning.

And I'm sorry where did I use the term "oppressive"? Although I may think that I never said it. Unless of course, you can show me where I did.

BTW I'm sure North Korea would let you live there if you wanted to. Since they are not oppressive nor do they commit human rights offenses in your opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

So what?

Exactly what is your point?

They had a party.
So they should have done.
It was a great victory for them.

But it was sport!

Did the US government sack the manager and sentence him to hard labour?
Were the players forced to publicly denounce their manager?

Should have seen the party we had when we beat Scotland in Euro 96!

But where's the relevance?

And come on oozy tell everyone where you live whilst you try to spout your anti-west nonsense at any and every opportunity.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

At least they didn't get sent to a prison camp like previous teams have.

See what you are saying?

You are agreeing with your source + you are agreeing with propaganda.

I proved it is propaganda, that is enough posting here. I can understand why you would feel I'm derailing the topic so bye.

The names of Pak Sung Jin, Pak Do Ik and their team-mates, all of whom are still involved with football, are revered nationwide as the Peles of the Pensinsula, although their faces, from Korea's pre-television age, are less well known. They showed their undimmed passion, and gratitude to their masters, with a rendition of their World Cup song, before they saw off the English film-makers at Pyongyang railway station.

Read the whole thing:
www.independent.co.uk...

It seems you have been watching way too much Western propaganda.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join