It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean Soccer Team Punished for World Cup Failure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

North Korean Soccer Team Punished for World Cup Failure The squad was publicly humiliated, and there are fears for the manager's safety

In June, the North Korean soccer team dropped ignominiously out of the World Cup without a point after conceding 12 goals in three games. Since the players returned home, they have been publicly shamed, according to reports. The manager has been forced to become a construction worker, and there are fears for his safety. North Korea is one of the most oppressive regimes on earth. The soccer team's first game was not televised in the country, for fear of embarrassment. But when the team put up a remarkably good show against Brazil, narrowly losing 2-1, hopes were raised and the second game against Portugal was shown. The team lost 7-0. And then lost again, 3-0, in their last game against the Ivory Coast.

www.newsweek.com...

[edit on 30/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
These players had to endure six hours of public humiliation and criticism. Then they were forced to one by one criticize their manager.
This is not that surprising though, unfortunately.
If the team had done better, it would have been used to help ease the power transfer to little Kims son.
But now the team has apparently disgraced the son and the country.

They seem to forget that in the big picture, it is a game.

At least they didn't get sent to a prison camp like previous teams have.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well who didn't see that one coming? Wasn't an Iranian team or something like that executed a few years ago for a poor showing like that?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
We should have done this to the England team, remind them who they are playing for. I'd love to see Lampard get a ruddy good public flogging

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

It was the Iraq team who was beaten badly, caned on the bottom of thier feet by sadams son.

You cant blame the NK team though, they are probably malnourished and dont have much of a training regimen

link   
That's going to really make the players want to come home after the next world cup.

I think that the coach should have defected.

Poor guy. Little Kimmy is throwing a tantrum. Perhaps he should have taught those guys how to bowl since little Kimmy bowled a perfect 300 the very first time he tried.

link   
I'm surprised NK didn't blame the U.S. for their poor performance....after all, everything else seems to be the U.S. fault.

6 hours of public humiliation.....it's not right, but it could have been a lot worse.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

What does kind of make me wonder about this story is why was N.K. allowed to participate in the first place?
The World Cup organization should have had some idea of what a poor performance would mean for the players.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Messrs Rooney, Gerrard et al take note!

North Korea did very well just to qualify, this is hardly an incentive for future teams to try and qualify.

I wonder if Sepp Blatter and UEFA take action against North Korea?
I doubt it, but I also doubt if they will be bothered if they do.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
All over soccer. S*** like this needs to stop, right now. Quit crying and whining like a little girl because N. Korea lost this year, Mr. Kim. I didn't see his tiny behind running around on the field, and therefore should he and the others in charge of that putrid country's "laws" can just stfu. We need to rid the world of these types of people and punishment and spread the compassion, not this dictatorship "we can't do anything about it" bullish. I am sick of it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Watching the World Cup I was hoping they would do well just for this reason. I don't think anyone else in the world believed they would win a match so losing 2-1 to the #1 ranked team in the world isn't bad at all, especially when NK was ranked something like #113 overall going in.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
With the exception of the manager, out of the whole team, only one of the players lives in North Korea and he hasn't been back in years, so I don't know how they could possibly be publically humiliated. This is probably just more western propaganda nonsense. I thought North Korea did well and played some nice football during their first game. I wish I could say the same for England's prima donnas. Next time we should put together a pub team and send them instead.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
this is probably fake

my brain cant process this as true, sorry ... but try again with some facts sir

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
this is probably fake

my brain cant process this as true, sorry ... but try again with some facts sir

What?? I sourced the article in Newsweek. I really don't think that they would make this up.
Do you seriously think that North Korea doesn't do stuff like this??

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Do you consider The Guardian to be a news source that "makes up" stories? That is where Newsweek got some of its information.

Since you are from the UK you probably know more about The Guardian than a yank like me....

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Yep it could have been worse. I was cracking joke how they would be stoned and tortured by il now I feel a little low for saying that, I forget how good I have it some times.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

any type of press tries to manipulate the news to get more attention

so, we need someone with more insight ... to really know what happened if anything did

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

If that means you want somebody from North Korea to talk about this publicly, you are in for a lifetime of waiting.
Not only does information rarely get out of that country by civilians, but the person who would leak out such information would be putting their life at risk.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
So Newsweek has full access to North Korea to cover these stories? Nope.

So Newsweek posted video tape and photos proving that these people were punished ? Nope.

So Newsweek wrote a bunch of words condemning North Korea without any real proof for a Political Agenda? Yeah, Probably.

Hey all I want is proof. Newsweek is not supplying any.

They just post a stock photo of the N Korean team, then go on making accusations, faking quotes, etc. Looks totally fake to me sorry.

I am just skeptical. Yeah I think N Korea is a terrible political state, but I also require evidence before I believe these types of arbitrary stories designed to demonize them even further.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by Faiol

If that means you want somebody from North Korea to talk about this publicly, you are in for a lifetime of waiting.
Not only does information rarely get out of that country by civilians, but the person who would leak out such information would be putting their life at risk.

That does not mean every story published in the MSM about N Korea is true. It just means we have no way of knowing the truth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join