It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The disintergrating state of America. 2 pictures=2000 words.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Personally I dont care if any clothing is made in America...I tend to have a global mindset...sure, let some chinese or pakistani people make our clothes...I only really care about high tech jobs being shipped overseas...

Wow, that is amazing. So everyone in America should only have a job concerning high tech?

Not everyone is cut out for that sort of work. So, what about the people who don't have a high tech degree? Should we just put them all on welfare, and medicaid with food stamps?

I think if America is going to be competitive now and in the future, it will come from us being innovative and highly skilled labor...let someone else do manufacuring (manufacturing will be phased out in 50 years worldwide anyhow due to advanced robotics..so its a evolve or die senario at this point)

What about people that can't afford college, or technical school? And why is it everytime I have a technical issue with one of my home electronics, the technical call goes to a 3rd world country?

Still....Pakistan? I would rather be buying from India personally

So, you are saying that you want 3rd world countries to supply all your basic, non technical needs, but then want to complain about which country that comes from?

You do realize, those jobs, that Americans are now missing, go to the country with the cheapest labor, don't you?

What is made in China today, might be resourced out to Guatamala, tomorrow.

Apparently, you have missed issues with companies outsourcing to 3rd world countries that run sweat shops, and have no child labor laws.

Happy shopping to you!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Well said kosmo

I was living in a cave too, not ANY more (I hope
), anyway when I took off my rose colored glasses, the truth was so bright I was knocked off my rear end!

So I feel there should be a bit of a cautionary warning to anyone who is ready to wake up. Once reality sets in, it's a b***h!

Caution: anyone ready to see things in America for what they really are...please do not attempt this while home alone, driving alone or operating heavy machinery, or in the throws of passion....becoming aware might be hazardous to the heart, mind and innocent bystanders.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I have stewed on this for a while. I thank the other 2 posters who replied to this post before I did, but now I have must retort.

Je me suis souvent repenti d'avoir parlé, mais jamais de m'être tu.

I assure you that my reading comprehension is quite copacetic. Even before I saw the tag, I thought it suspicious that anything truly manufactured here in America would cost $5 other than a gallon of gasoline.

I am fully aware that US Supplied is different than made in the USA. But it is very misleading in my opinion. The arrant obfuscation of the slogan is a blatant attempt to beguile the masses into purchasing goods under the erroneous assumption it was fabricated in the United States.

Nemo me impune lacessit.
I was being facetious about truly moving away, but I am angry that a product that once helped create and mold this country in our past, the 100% cotton in the t-shirt, now really means little in the grand scheme of things.

I saw irony and trepidation in the shirts, and thought i would share them through images. I did not think I would be attacked, much less my educational background, which include advanced degrees in both US history, European history and medicine.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Personally I dont care if any clothing is made in America...I tend to have a global mindset...sure, let some chinese or pakistani people make our clothes...I only really care about high tech jobs being shipped overseas...

I think if America is going to be competitive now and in the future, it will come from us being innovative and highly skilled labor...let someone else do manufacuring (manufacturing will be phased out in 50 years worldwide anyhow due to advanced robotics..so its a evolve or die senario at this point)

Still....Pakistan? I would rather be buying from India personally

Whoa!
These are VERY dangerous assumptions! You see, the "Global mindset" that you refer to is exactly why this country is literally crumbling beneath your feet. I understand that is both simple and convenient to look no further than the end of your own nose, however, if this country is morph into the powerhouse it once was, it is going to require you - and millions of others - to do EXACTLY that!

You see, the manufacturing that you claim will be phased out - will never be phased out. As products advance so will the skills of the workforce and the requirements from the employers. Right now we are losing ground - losing it economically, strategically and globally. When a country's consuming base is degraded, so is the overall job market. Companies cut back on R&D, IT, marketing, etc... sending a shockwave through the entire economy. Just look outside your window and you can see that right now.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you people want some sort of trade protection to be erected, that is so not the virtue of capitalism. I guess the lot of you want to be communists then.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

They did have shirts made in America but they were $22.99 not $4.99 like the ones made in Pakistan... due to this, no one brought them.

So... America had some options...

1) Pay more for clothes made in America.

2) Continue to pay less for the ones made by slaves in Pakistan.

3) Treat your own people like slaves, ban work breaks, ban health care, reduce pay by 75% and disregard all health and safety to produce cheaper American clothes.

America has spoken...

Welcome to the glory of the "free market"

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think you're just being a bit crabby. Ever bother to take a look where your American flags are made? I would be willing to bet that at least 65 percent of all American flags flying in the U.S. were made in Taiwan, China or some country other than the U.S.

Put the brakes on the patriot mobile and take a second to think. If a crappy t-shirt, sold at a piece of crap corporate store like Walmart happens to be made in Pakistan, and that's the straw that broke the camel's back, then I think you're focus and intelligence is lacking in scope.

My own opinion of course, but I've earned the right to state it just like everyone else. IT IS A SHIRT.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

They did have shirts made in America but they were $22.99 not $4.99 like the ones made in Pakistan... due to this, no one brought them.

So... America had some options...

1) Pay more for clothes made in America.

2) Continue to pay less for the ones made by slaves in Pakistan.

3) Treat your own people like slaves, ban work breaks, ban health care, reduce pay by 75% and disregard all health and safety to produce cheaper American clothes.

America has spoken...

Welcome to the glory of the "free market"

Or option 4: apply a tariff to the goods imported from Pakistan to fund the aid that we are already sending over there.

Of course, protectionist laws only harm the US, as seen pre Depression. But the point is, there are things that can be done.

There are agendas at play. We must ask ourselves not what choice we have, but rather why we were not presented with better choices.

This is an excellent thread. No America bashing going on. It is rather a humorous jab at the true state of our Union at this moment. We all know it has gone to hell in a handbasket. And we are all grimacing, waiting for the other shoe to drop (the promised "double dip").

We humans are our own worst enemy. We keep trying to build civilization, and keep failing miserably at it. Gautama can attest, our misery and suffering is our own doing.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark VA84
I think you're just being a bit crabby. Ever bother to take a look where your American flags are made? I would be willing to bet that at least 65 percent of all American flags flying in the U.S. were made in Taiwan, China or some country other than the U.S.

Put the brakes on the patriot mobile and take a second to think. If a crappy t-shirt, sold at a piece of crap corporate store like Walmart happens to be made in Pakistan, and that's the straw that broke the camel's back, then I think you're focus and intelligence is lacking in scope.

My own opinion of course, but I've earned the right to state it just like everyone else. IT IS A SHIRT.

Just a heads up, for you and other posters....the OP was satire. Symbology isn't often a perfectly logical match (for evidence of this, Google the term "Dream Logic"). But the meaning was there for him, and many others. A humorous use of some symbols.

Anyway, you did not "earn" the right to say that. That right is inalienable and was granted to you by your Creator.
If we are to continue to nitpick needlessly.

Edit to add: i absolutely love your avatar. The image invokes a lot of emotion. It contains lots of information, being as blurred as it is, telling the story of the chaos of battle.

Some of the best artwork i have seen, in my own uneducated opinion.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thank you (on all accounts).

I guess I was a bit crabby as well, I'm usually pretty on-point in picking up sarcasm and satire. My apologies to the OP, I was caught sleeping on this one.

p.s. the photo is from my previous (and final) deployment to Afghanistan, pretty much sums up my final 4 months of active duty. The blur was instrumental in my decision to use it, as using anything solidly identifiable would be unprofessional. Thank you none the less, it is one of my favorites as well.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

maybe the shirt was made in pakistan by americans and/or american companies outsourcing?

go wallmart!

ah, but i could be wrong,
et

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
reply to post by Reign02

come on you must have known this post wasn't serious

Then why post this in ATS? This should be in BTS if it is not serious or to be taken real. Or atleast in another sub-forum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join