It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The disintergrating state of America. 2 pictures=2000 words.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I was walking around Wal Mart earlier today looking for a birthday card for my wife.

Now I'm not one to buy clothing from there, but I passed a t-shirt rack, and the design and colors looked pretty cool. Then I read the design. It said "American Durable Goods"
"US Supplied"

I start thinking, "This is pretty cool, here is a shirt that's made in America and it's promoting American goods.

Then I started looking at sizes.

And I saw this. It's a little blurry, but you can still read it:

I just turned and walked out.
I think I'm gonna move to Canada or England......

[edit on 30-7-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Just because it was made in pakistan doesnt mean it wasnt made by americans! hey do you think our troops sit around all day doing nothing?? no they go out and buy cheap material and sit around a sewing press! after all we do know how much the navy enjoys designer clothing *ques the villiage people music* lol

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think the title, Faded Glory, seems approprate, dont you...

Actually, if you move to china or pakistan, you can have all sorts of nationalistic pride in the local manufacturing

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I think the title, Faded Glory, seems approprate, dont you...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Actually..maybe they should call it Faded Old Glory....

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Hey, chillax man. At least you now know that you really are funding the Taliban. *Cue Ironic by Alanis Morissette*

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This was awesome!

I couldn't stop laughing. I like how it says america, durable goods. And then we see faded glory - made in Pakistan... That says it all...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Key2life

Yeah. I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I first saw it. But I did know I had to document the lunacy of it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Good analogy for our world at current IMHO.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
It says "US SUPPLIED" not MADE IN THE USA.

Big difference, but yeah the faded glory always was ironic, even more so now.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
IMO ____ WALMART___~!! Coming SOON to Pakistan, Korea and Iran~!
Talking about globalization !!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm not sure if any of you notice but probably 90% of all clothing and anything made from cloth isn't from America, Britian, or the Europe. Most things come from dirt poor countries because of cheap labor. Just because it is made in Pakistan does not mean that we are paying Pakistan. The majority of the money goes to the American company and just a little sliver goes to the workers. So easily blinded and stupified.....

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Reign02]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tahuti
Just because it was made in pakistan doesnt mean it wasnt made by americans! hey do you think our troops sit around all day doing nothing?? no they go out and buy cheap material and sit around a sewing press! after all we do know how much the navy enjoys designer clothing *ques the villiage people music* lol

First off our troops aren't in Pakistan "that you know of" and we do NOT go out and buy cheap material to make clothes. Why even say something as ignorant and foolish as this? American, British, and European countries ALL have goods and clothes made from different and poor countries....

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by joe7pack
It says "US SUPPLIED" not MADE IN THE USA.

I was going to say the same thing. So technically there's nothing wrong with it although it does imply something different. I'd be willing to bet the U.S. supplied something and that statement is actually true but certainly a bit misleading.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I personally like the "durable goods" slogan being used.

But, even after all the manufacturing has disappeared from USA, do you think Americans still make anything useful?
Let me re-phrase that:
Do you think Americans still make anything of value?

I have found, to this day, products with a 'Made in the USA' tag on them, but with entirely foreign parts, and/or just 'Assembled in the USA'.
Does that make it any more durable?

Seems to me that all things made today are cheap and meretricious.
Because either A: People don't want to spend money on quality
or B: Manufacturers are too cheap to spend money

Every company I ever worked for is out for one thing: Money.
So that comes at a cost to production, and work ethics...
The cheaper you can produce items, the more money you can make.
Who cares about quality? The consumer will just have to buy more!

In other words, things made today don't last long and are not made to.
So that way you have to spend more money fixing what inexpensive garbage you bought in the first place.

With that being said, most people are too cheap to spend their money on durable, long-lasting goods.
Again, let me re-phrase that...
People don't want to spend their money on anything that will last.
Companies know this and take full advantage of that fact.

Even 'Made in USA' goods are manufactured with the quantity over quality in mind.
(if there even is anything left
)

This trend will probably never change. We've went global.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by havok]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Reign02

come on you must have known this post wasn't serious

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Here we have yet another anti American chum post.

The shirt clearly states American Supplied, as above poster noted.

Yet OP has no reading comprehension skills, and only gets huffy when he/she reads the other label.

Then OP huffs about moving out of America, where the front of the shirt did not lie or mislead!!

I say take a reading course and come back and see if you dont enjoy my beautiful country just a little better.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
You know I was just talking to a friend the other day about how alot of these products that promote American made items aren't even American made themselves!

Everything is made outside the US practically. I started looking at everything I bought and where it was made and I would say almost everything I own is made outside the US, except Ellie my car (mustang)
, 70% of it it's parts were made in the US and it was assembled in the US.

I would love to buy all American made but that seems a little hard. If we bought from our own country I think it would help us but no we outsource it for cheaper costs and that country gets the money.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Here we have yet another anti American chum post.

The shirt clearly states American Supplied, as above poster noted.

Yet OP has no reading comprehension skills, and only gets huffy when he/she reads the other label.

Then OP huffs about moving out of America, where the front of the shirt did not lie or mislead!!

I say take a reading course and come back and see if you dont enjoy my beautiful country just a little better.

Are you living in a cave somewhere in the middle of nowhere? The outsourcing, offshoring and downsizing of the American workforce is destroying the United States!
NC used to be the textile capital of the world, employing millions from seamstress and mill workers to cotton growers and processors. That industry is almost 100% gone! Your "Beautiful country" is littered with the wreckage of fleeing corporations sending work to third-world countries. This comes in the form of decaying plants and mills, nearly abandoned towns, toxic brownfields and the creation of a never-before-seen underclass of poor in this country - skilled laborers without jobs!

Those of us with critical thinking faculties are capable of recognizing the marketing scam taking place here - which is leading to the assumption that the shirt is made in America when it clearly is NOT! In fact, it simply demonstrates the duplcity of corporations playing on consumer's patriotism for sales while outsourcing everything to maximize profits. I'd love 10 minutes alone with the person that came up with this t-shirt idea!

By the way, I am an American - one who is paying attention to what is happening to our country. I suggest you do the same!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Nice job of putting into words what I was thinking, without getting nasty, as the post you highlighted had me furious!

People do not seem to care about what used to be some of the driving industries of our country.

When my parents first moved to Arizona, in the late 70's, when I would go to visit, there were acres upon acres of cotton fields. In Louisiana, I know natives that grew up working on the family cotton farms in the summer, until their fingers bled. There is still an old building in one of the small towns where I lived that was the local cotton gin.

It's really sad to see, that some good old American brands, are no longer made in America, including the materials grown to produce them.

What could be more American, than a pair of Levi jeans?

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone who doesn't think America is being eroded should look at this article alone.

Today, Levis jeans are made overseas.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Personally I dont care if any clothing is made in America...I tend to have a global mindset...sure, let some chinese or pakistani people make our clothes...I only really care about high tech jobs being shipped overseas...

I think if America is going to be competitive now and in the future, it will come from us being innovative and highly skilled labor...let someone else do manufacuring (manufacturing will be phased out in 50 years worldwide anyhow due to advanced robotics..so its a evolve or die senario at this point)

Still....Pakistan? I would rather be buying from India personally

top topics

<<   2 >>

join