It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Historic Symbols That Mean the Opposite of What You Think

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sink the Bismarck!

The Thomas Paine article was the best. Finally someone else who believed in a collective. I've been calling myself a social libertarian and now I have proof at least one of the founding fathers was also a social libertarian. The basic needs of the collective must be met first, then we should all enjoy absolute freedom and liberty...but not until all have the basic level of life giving properties.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
They forgot Caesar Chavez. The illegal aliens like to run around with Chavez flags and signs, but they don't know what Chavez really did. He would beat illegal aliens with baseball bats, for taking the jobs of American CITIZENS. He would report them to INS at every occasion. Funny how they have rewritten history to make him a hero for their cause, when the fact remains that if he were alive today, he'd be standing beside Jan Brewer.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

BTW that's a stretch to call Guevara a racist because he used his own revolutionaries. I mean he was there to help them not rob them like the Europeans were doing. Every social revolutionary is attacked by the right and their quotes misrepresented and taken out of context of the times etc.

If you do the research you'll find Che Guevara was Castros "Himmler", he was his chief exterminator to get rid of Cuban dissenters. The only praise you can hang on this murderer is he looks great on a t-shirt.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hey ATSers, thanks for all the positive replies.

I'm glad this thread has remained, for the most part, pleasant.

To some of the earlier posters: I know Cracked's mainly a comedy site, and I know that they can also suffer from mistakes and poor research. I just figured that something like this would be a fascinating read. I don't get my entire worldview from their site, and I don't think anyone should.

Cracked does a lot of good articles. Of course, some of their writers are better than others. I'd post some more links but I don't wanna make myself out to be spamming this forum on their behalf so instead I'll just encourage people to check some of their articles if they liked this one.

One of the best things about Cracked is that it generally stays outside of political divides, or openly mocks both sides - for every article dishing on Glenn Beck you can find an article ridiculing limousine liberals. Or an article which is negative towards both of them at the same time.

And some of their less serious posts are simply good sources of entertainment.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Re: Upside down cross.

Ive always thought the upside down cross symbolized a sword.
While the regular cross actually symbolizes a man with his arms stretched out.
The Ankh is the predecessor of the cross.

Originally posted by CRASHPROJECT
the devil-horns hand gesture that many think is a secret signal for Satan worshipers
and evildoers everywhere, also means "I love you" in sign language

IIRC this one is called *maloik*
its a symbol to give or take away the evil eye or ward off evil or bad luck.

I think it was Dio who introduced this to the metal music scene.

Found a link with some more info
sigime.blogspot.com...

[edit on 31-7-2010 by SilverSurfer]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by c g henderson

Great. But the fundies I know don't consider anyone the antichrist. As seeing as I am one and do not either, and that most all the goths where I am say that it's an anti Christ symbols, I'd say you're kind of wrong.

Sorry but I am not in high school and do not hang out with "goths." So if your little friends are uneducated, that does nothing to take away from what I experience out in the real world.

More or less, welcome to the word. Glad your community is more intelligent, but in the end, it is generally accepted as an antichrist symbol and generally forgotten to originate with St. Peter.

Are you even paying attention? I said real Satanists know what it means more than Christians. I would not expect a goth to know anything other than the different names for the same shade of black lipstick sold at Hot Topic.

In a nation where 1/3 thing the Sun revolves around the earth, I would not expect your case to be the norm.

There are not exactly a lot of real Satanists running around either. I said Christians usually do not seem to recall what it really means and take offense. You just reinforced that and then added that goth kids are stupid too. Good for you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Really liked Glenn Beck's spelling fail...

'OLIGARHY'?!

Blinded by the stupidity..

Aside from that, really interesting article, OP!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sink the Bismarck!

Thank you for this post! You helped me in another forum, bring relevant and enlightening information about capitlalism.
When someone contributes it helps everyone.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainspider

I hate to say it Spider but that is the impression Texans give. And I have relatives in Dallas. Which is a beautiful city.

But I have met very few Texans who didn't immediately start bragging about how everything is bigger and better in Texas. including my cousins in Dallas.

Since when does the square miles of your state determine your ego size?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium
Star and flag....but only because of the parts about Texas lol. "Don't mess with Texas" was a warning by the Department of Transportation to war TEXANS not to litter LOL. They have been parading that dead horse of a line around since 1985. Tryng to make it sound threatening to "outsiders" (or civilized people). The Alamo was because Mexico outlawed slavery and Texas wanted to keep their slaves,....some American inspiration LOL. I am American, but I have always considered Texas to be the bathroom of the country......and guess what? SO DOES THE THE REST OF THE WORLD! Texans think that everyone likes them and respects them but thats because thats what they tell each other every day. Let's see, there are twenty four million,seven hundred eighty two thousand, three hundred and two people that live in Texas right now, they should probably ask one of the five billion, nine hundred seventy-five million, two hundred seventeen thousand, six hundred ninety-eight people who live outside of their bathroom door. HA.

So much wrong with this post.

-how many texans do you know personally?most texans are nice to complete strangers(respect me and i'll respect you attitude). Are people like that in LA? nooooooooo!!!

-Texas has the most billionaires per capita than the rest of america. We have a huge data telecom terminal(att) here second only to NYC in america.

-No one in texas uses that phrase only hollywood actors/MSM. We are not like the actors on TV. Texans are very meek and laid back. Not an insane eastwood knock off.

-detriot,flint michigan,oakland and camden nj is the # holes of america.The paranoia,hopelessness,corruption and despair in those cities is sad.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Rainspider

I hate to say it Spider but that is the impression Texans give. And I have relatives in Dallas. Which is a beautiful city.

But I have met very few Texans who didn't immediately start bragging about how everything is bigger and better in Texas. including my cousins in Dallas.

Since when does the square miles of your state determine your ego size?

What about people in NYC that think the world turns when they say it does?

You can talk to people there on the street. You just can't do that in say cleveland or chicago.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

While their hearts are in the right place, the irony is that the statue, conceived by Polish American sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski, was intended as a response to controversy surrounding his other great sculpting project: Mount Rushmore. It kind of misses the point about why defacing mountains in the middle of sacred Native American territory is a bad idea.

Wrong. Korczak didn't sculpt Rushmore.

South Dakota historian Doane Robinson is credited with conceiving the idea of carving the likenesses of famous people into the Black Hills region of South Dakota in order to promote tourism in the region. Robinson's initial idea was to sculpt the Needles; however, Gutzon Borglum rejected the Needles site and chose the larger Mount Rushmore. Borglum also decided the sculpture should have a more national focus, and chose the four presidents whose likenesses would be carved into the mountain. After securing federal funding, construction on the memorial began in 1927, and the presidents' faces were completed between 1934 and 1939. Upon Gutzon Borglum's death in March 1941, his son Lincoln Borglum took over construction. Though the initial concept called for each president to be depicted from head to waist, lack of funding forced construction to end in October 1941.

Wiki

Korczak did work on Mt. Rushmore but it wasn't his idea nor was it his project.

The only reason I know this is because I got to go to both of them in April. I never thought I'd ever get to see Crazy Horse nor Rushmore, the inspiration for one of my favorite album covers of all time.

As for defacing the mountains, it was the native's idea to sculpt Crazy Horse. They wanted to show they had heroes just like the white man did. They didn't seem to think it was such a bad idea.

The mountain carving was begun in 1948 by sculptor Korczak Ziółkowski, who had worked on Mount Rushmore under Gutzon Borglum in 1924. In 1939, Ziolkowski had received a letter from Chief Henry Standing Bear, which stated in part "My fellow chiefs and I would like the white man to know that the red man has great heroes, too."

Wiki

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
[edit on 31-7-2010 by Adevoc Satanae]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I found this article to be very enjoyable (and informative). The Crazy Horse article especially caught my attention. A man who refused to be photographed. I sense that Crazy Horse was "on to something". What a total slap to the face of karma (memory) ^_^

and then some arse-howl goes and carves an image of him into a sacred mountain... nice :\

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

Originally posted by General.Lee
Yes, "Cracked". That's where I get all my news and views and political viewpoints. It's right up there with my Superman comic books.

translation: i'm too cool to read the link posted in the OP but i'll comment and discredit nonetheless. btw i like superman, the lamest 1-dimensional super hero of all time. it's reflective of my myopia and boring snobbishness.

it's a very good article.
all of their lists are pure entertainment/informative/jabs at society.
just read it and stop acting like a snob.

Good lord, I seriously thought the guy was happily commenting on Superman comic books while complimenting Cracked.com, and never noticed it was supposed to be a sarcastic jab. It seemed like a mildly stupid at times but never sarcastic.

Sadly, the most widely trusted sources for news these day really are usually comedy guys like Leno. Lets face it, they often "tell it like it is" whereas the MSM does not... so their comedy routines are probably a better source of actual news in all seriousness than FOX or MSNBC. So yes, cracked.com isn't that bad of a news source when you look at the propaganda alternatives.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
One thing I don't get..
Regarding Crazy Horse, the article says that he supposedly never had his picture taken, and yet at the beginning of the article there is a picture of a Native American which seems to be Crazy Horse..

Also, when I do a quick google search of Crazy Horse that same image comes up although the few sites I've looked at also say that most scholars agree that there is no authentic picture of Crazy Horse.

Someone help please because this is a bit perplexing...Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Here's the image btw:

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Jedimind]

That is the Oglala named- Little Big Man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join