It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Courageous Rep. Anthony Weiner slams Republicans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Oh yeah, its so courageous the way he warped reality in to making you think Republican held the majority. Its funny how when Republicans are the majority, its all their fault. When Republicans are in the minority, its still somehow their fault.

What AW did here was create a propaganda piece for all the left wing MSM networks to run all weekend. Its yet another distraction meant to take heat off the party in power. You fell for it hook, line and sinker.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Courageous!?!? You used the word "Courageous" to describe a screaming, whining, snivelling, self-aggrandizing politician???
I mean really? Did you just do that?

He is neither "Courageous" nor anything akin to it. He was throwing a temper tantrum because no one wanted to open up the deficit checkbook for some bill he sponsored. The reality was that a majority of HIS OWN PARTY opposed it!

And, if you listen to his words, if possible, then you will hear nothing more than the pot calling the kettle black. Hypocrite much? Methinks!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Official vote count from www.govtrack.us:

Vote count:

Democrats
243-Yea 4-Nay 7-Abstain

Republicans
12-Yea 155-Nay 11-Abstain

Source

So some democrats voted no and some voted abstain.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson

Honestly Hudson...you have been here a month and I have yet to see you post anything that makes sense.

What you posted above is simply empty. It doesn't speak to the bill, the issue or frankly anything.

It's weird, but all your posts are this way. Just empty.

I mean I know you are looking to PO people, but your posts are like burps...foul smelling for a moment and lacking any substance.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Last time I checked Democrats were in the majority soooo why is going off like a crazy person and blaming the repubs...besides,everyone knows they are all the same

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

THANK YOU. That helps greatly and yes i was wrong some voted against it.

(4) or 1.5% of Dems to be exact as opposed to (155) 87% of the GOP.

That said lets see the math...They needed 2/3rds..

Magic number needed to pass?..276 votes

243 Dems voted for it.
4 Dems did not
7 Abstained
12 GOP voted for it

lets add these up and see what would have happened if every Dem plus the 12 GOP voted, plus the abstainers...

266...still short from the 276..so the BS that if those 4 dems voted and the 7 dems who didn't vote actually did..it would have passed? Nope.

155 GOP voted against it
11 GOP Abstained

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Stop freaking blaming mythological PARTIES. Blame CONGRESS. This partisan crap is really starting to piss me off. I think I'll declare a war on it. Who's with me?

Get the money for the people who are sick from Saudi Arabia.

They raised most of the idiots who took out the towers. And they have plenty of money.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

I could not agree more. I'm sick and tired of hearing some guy up at the podium every week blaming the "Other side of the room" on something that didn't go the way they wanted it to go. How about they STFU and start blaming possibly,oh lets say,BANKS AND CORPORATIONS?Might be a healthy start...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What are you having trouble understanding? Do you know how the US congress works? Did you know Democrats took the majority in 2006? How in the world could Republicans stop this bill from passing?

Clearly my posts rattle you, because they're informed and not pulled from some left wing propaganda blog.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

And what is your point? Have you not realized by now that its all a show? If you haven't then you need some serious help

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hudson

What are you having trouble understanding? Do you know how the US congress works? Did you know Democrats took the majority in 2006? How in the world could Republicans stop this bill from passing?

Did you even bother reading the thread before you responded?

Do you know how the US congress works?

Dems pursued a procedural tack that required two thirds of the House to prevail, enabling Republicans to defeat it, and obviously opposing this bill was a morally questionable thing to do.

Washington Post

Owned.

EDIT: And you call your posts "informed"...

[edit on 30-7-2010 by drwizardphd]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

How in the world could Republicans stop this bill from passing?

Reading the OP or a random sampling of any of the posts on this thread would answer that question for you..or any reasonable news source...or my post just above this one...

This is what I mean by your posts being burps.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
@maybereal11

Because they didn't want GOP adding on unrelated junk like trying to back-door undue parts of the Healthcare bill as well as avoid taxes on foriegn companies operating in the USA.

Rep Weiner summed GOP policy nicely:
"We see it in the United States Senate every single day, where members say, 'We want amendments, we want debate, we want amendments -- but we're still a No,'" Weiner yelled"

(foriegn based) Tax evaders who can now contribute to GOP campaigns with the new campaign contributions law take precidence over 9-11 workers...what's to say.

Amen.

The bill was presented in it's purest form - no pork, no b.s. It is succinctly a health care bill for 9/11 first responders, those HEROES who are now battling health issues from the dust and fallout of the WTC collapse. These Republican COWARDS have spat in their faces, for NO reason other than they refuse to go along with the DEMs on ANY issue. The GOP set out at the beginning of Obama's term to be obstructionists, "Damn the country, Obama must fail," and they are living up to that motto.

@Snarf

Is this representative willing to act this way when it's HIS party being stubborn and saying "no no no"

How does such sensless speculation excuse this vote?

@DCPatriot

Of course, it should be pointed out that the Democrats would have enough votes to pass it on their own without GOP support

I wonder why they don't have the votes among their own party..

As pointed out in the thread, the bill was presented for vote this way to prevent any "add-ons", "riders", or pork, being included. As far as I'm concerned, this is how ALL bills should be voted on.
And they DID have the votes in their party, the only thing that defeated this bill were the GOP nay's.

@Boomer1941

Weiner is the Worm in the House and is very talented in dirty politics, what you saw on the news was orchestrated for his own publicity and to beatup the conservatives, the Democrats were dropping like flies on this vote because of that Snuck-in Rider.

WHAT?? You mean like "YOU LIE" or other GOP grandstanding? And WTF are you talking about, "the Democrats were dropping like flies on this vote", the Dems voted nearly unanimous (only 4 nay's!) to SUPPORT this bill.

@samhouston1886

You may have not noticed, but, Republicans are the biggest hypocrites on Earth, and, they did not mind the trillions we spent killing innocent people over seas or building nothing prisons while their banks launder drug money, now that we have an administration that is willing to throw some crumbs at the people that need it the most, you cant sleep at night.

You said it. Trillions WASTED in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan, but 9/11 first responders are thrown into the ditch, no care set aside for these HEROES. This is a special plan specifically for these men and women, and it's the VERY LEAST WE COULD DO FOR THEM.

WE NEED TO STAND BY OUR OWN.

Remember Chernobyl? The Soviets sent their soldiers in to clean that mess and evacuate surrounding area knowing the dire consequences, then abandoned them to their fate. Are we NO BETTER than them?

Rep. Weiner, I don't know you but you, sir, earned my respect today.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Reading the OP or a random sampling of any of the posts on this thread would answer that question for you..or any reasonable news source...or my post just above this one...

Lets try this one more time. Maybe you could read slower?

Democrats have the majority. They didn't need a 2/3rds vote. Why couldn't they get all the Democrats to vote for it? Answer, because they are playing political games.

reply to post by drwizardphd

Owned.

Another confused individual I see? Did you know Democrats held a majority? Did you know they didn't need 2/3rds vote? Did you know not all the Democrats voted yes?

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Hudson]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson

To prevent Republicans from adding any amendments to the bill, Democratic leaders adopted a procedure that put the bill directly to a vote – with no amendments – but required the bill to get a two-thirds majority to pass.

Okay Hudson, let's break it down:

"To prevent Republicans from adding any amendments to the bill..."

With me so far?

"Democratic leaders adopted a procedure that put the bill directly to a vote – with no amendments..."

How is this a "trick" procedure??? I wish this is how ALL future bill were presented. NO MORE riders, add-ons, or amendments, just vote for the bill itself.

Still with me?

"but required the bill to get a two-thirds majority to pass."

It only failed because the GOP voted NAY. The Dems voted overwhelmingly in favor of the bill.

Democrats
243-Yea 4-Nay 7-Abstain
Republicans
12-Yea 155-Nay 11-Abstain

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Democrats have the majority. They didn't need a 2/3rds vote. Why couldn't they get all the Democrats to vote for it? Answer, because they are playing political games.

Wow...you are working hard to be this dense...

Lets try this from Govtrack

Required: 2/3 of 414 votes (=276 votes)

www.govtrack.us...

I'll help you out further since you seem to be incapable of reading the thread.

The bill proposed to pay for this by closing a tax loophole that allows corporations operating in the US to not pay taxes on those profits.

Incorporate in the Caymen Isles...rake in dough in the US..don't pay taxes.

The bill was going to close this loophole.

The recent ruling by the SCOTUS now allows corporations to fund campaigns with little restraint what-so-ever.

These corporations are the GOPs employers.

Thus they wanted to tie this bill up in debate and took issue specifically with closing these tax-loopholes...I am not making it up...it is what the GOP SAID.

SO the Dems brought this bill in pure form...no kickbacks, no pork, no amendments, no BS and that is why the GOP voted against it.

By skipping amendments, pork, potential filibuster or the bill getting lost in committee etc...which the GOP admittedly was planning...the bill MUST RECIEVE 2/3 vote.

All of this has been covered already in this thread...what aren't you understanding??

[edit on 30-7-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Once more, they didn't need a 2/3rds vote. They only did it because they knew it wouldn't pass and they could act out the theater you see now.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

reply to post by drwizardphd

Owned.

Another confused individual I see? Did you know Democrats held a majority? Did you know they didn't need 2/3rds vote? Did you know not all the Democrats voted yes?

For those idiots who cannot do there own research and do not know how the congressional system works here is a pretty useful website that explains how voting in both the house and the senate will be done.
www.senate.gov...

And even with this information when will you people WAKE UP and realize you are basically watching a movie or a play every time you look at cspan? Don't like what is happening? Vote them out (if you believe this sort of thing actually makes a difference)

[edit on 30-7-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Those always espousing that the democratic “Marxist” are spending us into oblivion are really dupes who don’t understand that republicans don’t really care about fiscal discipline. Every time they are in office the record shows the deficit increases tremendously, such as under Reagan and the second Bush.

The republicans are just out to protect the rich. They don’t even hide that fact anymore, and anyone who doesn’t see that is blind.

They have never tamed the deficit, though they claim to be deficit hawks. Indeed they are only when there is a democratic president.

The next republican president and congress will likely literally destroy this country because their mentality is the lowest of the low, whether it be Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, or the two faced Mitt Romney, or any of those inhuman republicans.
There record is clear:

No healthcare for Americans even though every other civilized country in the world guarantees health care for its citizens.

No tax breaks for the middle and lower class

No loans to small businesses

No rebuilding of the national infrastructure

No environmental safeguards

They want to abolish Social Security

They don’t want aid to those who got sick in 911

On and on and on BUT

They do want tax breaks for the 1 percent million and billionaires
They want Israel to attach Iran, and now Newt Gingrich adds North Korea to that

They want a continuation of the Afghanistan war

They loved the Iraq war even though this illegal and immoral war busted THE DEFICIT they claim to want to prevent!

And all these republicans dare claim to be Christians!

What a laugh!

Imagine Jesus Christ having a philosophy like you average republican of today!

The Republican Party and all its peripheral groups are inhuman, ungodly, selfish, primitive, and ignorant.

Three cheers for the congressman from New York, Anthony Weiner

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hudson

While I do agree Weiner does alot of grandstanding and this is a good case of that. It is important to keep in mind that while the Democrats do have the majority it is not enough of a majority to get automatic passage of anything. The republicans are quite capable of stalling anything they do not like.

This is not leadership, it is not good for the country when the only approach that your party takes to everything is to block legislation time and again. Either take what you can get and be part of the process or risk becoming irrelevant. Right now the Republican Party has chosen to put its own interests ahead of addressing the nations needs. This is not to say the other side is perfectly innocent they aren't and I imagine when they are in the same position they will do the same exact thing.

We need change in our political system and we need people that are willing to put aside the massive contributions, kickbacks, and lobbying and take up the interests of the American people first and foremost.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Holy sh*t. This is epic. Glad I live in his state.

Thanks for posting. Didn't really have an opinion on the guy. At least now I view him as passionate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join