It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Courageous Rep. Anthony Weiner slams Republicans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I wish they would eat each other. Save us a lot of time and trouble. Or better yet, they should all get this angry and duke it out on CSPAN.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
[edit on 7/30/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Dems pursued a procedural tack that required two thirds of the House to prevail,

Why do you think they did this?
voices.washingtonpost.com...

www.nbcnewyork.com...
[edit on 113131p://bFriday2010 by Stormdancer777]

Because they didn't want GOP adding on unrelated junk like trying to back-door undue parts of the Healthcare bill as well as avoid taxes on foriegn companies operating in the USA.

You link explains it well.

Now Democrats have used a procedure called suspension to prevent Republicans from making amendments to the bill. It will have to be passed as is it stands, without changes, but needs a two-thirds vote instead of a simple majority.

The move will prevent Republicans from amending the bill to prevent illegal immigrants who worked at Ground Zero from receiving health care, and from adding a measure to undercut the health care bill passed earlier this year -- two clauses Democrats opposed.

Republicans, initially opposed to the tax increase that the bill entails, are now angry at being shut out of the discussion. Twelve Republicans are expected to vote in favor of the bill, but it probably not enough to pass the legislation, the Wall Street Journal reports

www.nbcnewyork.com...

Also here from NYC Radio:

GOP critics branded the bill as yet another big-government "massive new entitlement program" that would have increased taxes and possibly kill jobs.

To pay the bill's estimated $7.4 billion cost over 10 years, the legislation would have prevented foreign multinational corporations incorporated in tax haven countries from avoiding tax on income earned in the U.S.

Bill supporters said that would close a tax loophole. Republicans branded it a corporate tax increase.

John Feal, a ground zero demolition worker who has lobbied extensively for the legislation, expressed disgust.

"They pulled the rug out from beneath our feet," Feal said. "Whatever member of Congress vote against this bill, whether Republican or Democrat, should go to jail for manslaughter."

beta.wnyc.org...

Rep Weiner summed GOP policy nicely:
""We see it in the United States Senate every single day, where members say, 'We want amendments, we want debate, we want amendments -- but we're still a No,'" Weiner yelled"

(foriegn based) Tax evaders who can now contribute to GOP campaigns with the new campaign contributions law take precidence over 9-11 workers...what's to say.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Stop freaking blaming mythological PARTIES. Blame CONGRESS. This partisan crap is really starting to piss me off. I think I'll declare a war on it. Who's with me?

Get the money for the people who are sick from Saudi Arabia.

They raised most of the idiots who took out the towers. And they have plenty of money.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Is this representative willing to act this way when it's HIS party being stubborn and saying "no no no"

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Man I could not agree with you more!! Hats Off!!
What is right is right, and that is all there is to any bill. or should be

It is a shame we even feel the need to be so supicious (can,t spell) of our govenors.

That said how can we not be suspect when the speaker of the house says "well we'll just haft to pass the bill so you can see what's in it" refering to a 2k page bill NOBODY had time to digest?

[edit on 30-7-2010 by nocents]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Stop freaking blaming mythological PARTIES. Blame CONGRESS. This partisan crap is really starting to piss me off. I think I'll declare a war on it. Who's with me?

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

Easy to do. The Dems and GOP share alot of blame for the state of things.

This bill? Examine the facts.

This bill was looking to pay for itself by closing tax loopholes on companies that incorporate in tax friendly countries overseas (Caymen Isles is big on this) while making all their money in the USA..and not paying any taxes on that income.

Asking those companies to pay taxes like the rest of our US companies do?

GOP Spin: Increase on taxes and might kill jobs. Unemployment is an easy card to play...and it is not an "increase" it is clamping down on companies that evade taxes.

Why? Because now more than ever these companies can give money to the GOP.

It's not mysterious...It's money over 9-11 survivors.

Do Dems suck? Most times yes, but not in this instance IMO.

Giving up on actually THINKING about what is going on and coming to reasoned conclusions? ...well I am not there yet and hope to never be, tempting as it is.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
reply to post by damwel

I know this may be hard to comprehend, but big corporations employ a lot of people.

Therefore taking money from them means they can employ less people.

Hence, it will cost jobs.

Democrats on the other hand think they know how to create jobs better than the private sector, therefore they claim that taking money from major corporations and spending it on "green jobs" or whatever other government program strikes their fancy will "create jobs".

Of course, this is utterly ridiculous since to create jobs they must first destroy jobs by taking from the productive private sector of the economy.

Hate to break it to you but the reality is big corporations given the opportunity and a little bit of time will take your job and send it overseas so they can pay someone pennies a week to do it. They have no interest in keeping or creating jobs here at all. Eventually the only jobs that will remain in this country are the ones that they cant send overseas due to logistical reasons. Just why is it you think they like China so much?

Because they know that the Chinese workers will not demand to be paid what they are worth nor will they complain about unsafe working conditions and if they do the Government there will have no issue shooting them down if they do.

If the government were actually serious about creating jobs they would get us out of all these free trade agreements and start leveling tariffs on imported goods to keep the jobs here just like they did for over a hundred years until someone figured out that they could make more money in the short term by getting rid of them.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I wish he was my Congressman, he would get my vote for sure. He is standing up for the people in his District and all 9/11 Rescue workers who are dying from the materials in their lungs. The Republicans don't want them to receive guaranteed Healthcare because they say it will hurt jobs.

These people risked their lives to save thousands of innocent Americans from a terrorist attack or a government massacre on its' own citizens and the Republicans said JUST DIE!!

Of course, it should be pointed out that the Democrats would have enough votes to pass it on their own without GOP support.

I wonder why they don't have the votes among their own party.

oh yeah....there's an election November 2nd. [/s]

[edit on 7/30/2010 by DCPatriot]

[edit on 7/30/2010 by DCPatriot]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

I wish he was my Congressman, he would get my vote for sure. He is standing up for the people in his District and all 9/11 Rescue workers who are dying from the materials in their lungs. The Republicans don't want them to receive guaranteed Healthcare because they say it will hurt jobs.

These people risked their lives to save thousands of innocent Americans from a terrorist attack or a government massacre on its' own citizens and the Republicans said JUST DIE!!

It's apparent you don not have the whole story. Everyone would have been more than happy to put this bill through but the Democrats chose to screw it up by Sneaking through a rider on benefiting ILLEGAL ALIENS that wasn't in the original bill. What the details were on this rider I don't know but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, you'll probably see it all over Fox news tonight...lol

Weiner is the Worm in the House and is very talented in dirty politics, what you saw on the news was orchestrated for his own publicity and to beatup the conservatives, the Democrats were dropping like flies on this vote because of that Snuck-in Rider.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

"I know this may be hard to comprehend, but big corporations employ a lot of people."

I know it may be hard to comprehend, but big business employers a small percentage of all the American workers, more than two to one. But it is the big industry than wields all the lobbying power. Even the Chamber of Commerce, formerly the premier lobbying entity for small and medium business around the country, now protects the interests of large companies pretty much exclusively.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

It is not healthy to be all worked up over this crap.

It happens, it all happens behind the curtains and we are left to try to figure out why these politicians do what they do.

They are playing against each other to secure votes come election time.

Repubs want in, and the dems are fighting to stay in, so right now its a dog eat dog world.

The last thing they give a damn about is the people.

If it were that easy, we wouldnt be conversating about this right now on this very thread.

Lets keep it level headed shall we?

Edit- I think you should take that last sentence out. that is a little uncalled for.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Common Good]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

You may have not noticed, but, Republicans are the biggest hypocrites on Earth, and, they did not mind the trillions we spent killing innocent people over seas or building nothing prisons while their banks launder drug money, now that we have an administration that is willing to throw some crumbs at the people that need it the most, you cant sleep at night.

You a wonderful example of the mindset that brought America to her knees.

Maybe my anger stems from the fact that this issue is so close to my heart, maybe it is because I recognize that American Conservatives are an evil bunch that only feel good when their money goes towards killing innocent people, or, perhaps its a little of both.

Face it, you people know the sins of your daddy George, and you want us all dead so that the story of what really happened on 9/11 goes away, letting us rot and slowly fall apart as each year goes by has been you M.O for the past 9 years.

We have kids that will carry on and never forget what George Bush and the Republicans did to us before and after the attacks.

With this, all Republicans are just as guilty as the scumbags that brought down the Towers; I believe the term is accessory after the fact.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by samhouston1886]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCPatriot

Of course, it should be pointed out that the Democrats would have enough votes to pass it on their own without GOP support.

I wonder why they don't have the votes among their own party.

oh yeah....there's an election November 2nd. [/s]

Why do you spout BS? Serious question.

Every Dem voted for it plus a few GOP.

They needed two-thirds vote to pass it and most GOP voted no...

No dems voted against it.

Stop the BS please.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by maybereal11]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I know. I read what you posted and someone else posted prior to this. That's why I said get the money from Saudi Arabia.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Really people?!?!

Wow, partisanship wins again!

The sheeples of the RePUNKlicans and the sheeples of the DemoRATs are both pumped up full of self-proclaimed crud to spew at each other even more now.

What freaking difference does it make which side sucks more, when both sides both steal, cheat, and sleep in their own disgusting world that WE, The People allow?

Yeah for Jimmy Carter. Oops, nope. He was bad for everything. Yeah for Reagan. Oops, nope. Trickle down economy and slashed social programs. Yeah for Bush Sr. Oops, nope. He did nothing significant as President. Yeah for Clinton. Oops, nope. Gave too much away to China and Lewinsky. Yeah for Bush. Oops, nope. He screwed up the economy, the war, and Katrina. Yeah for Obama. Oops, nope. His health care bill will cost way too much over the long run, and screwed up with BP.

You can add your own 'nope' for each President. But they all SUCK!

IMO, the politicians are laughing all the way to the bank, and to the polls to get re-elected.

And in regards to the specific veto on this bill, Why is anyone upset about this? WHERE IS THE FREAKING UPROAR OVER HOW OUR MILITARY VETERANS ARE TREATED? Why isn't there a bill for 10 Billion dollars to upgrade all of the Veteran's Medical Facilties in this country?

I am a proud veteran of the the US Army, and I salute my brothers and sisters in uniform who serve as Police, Rescue, and Firefighters. Welcome to the club of being crapped on!

Stop being so blindly political in regards to the DemoRATS and RePUNKlicans! They are the problem, both sides!!!

For anyone who has worn any type of uniform in the defense of our country, foreign and domestic, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

And remember, we all only count when it makes for good politics from either mind-controlling side!

Deny Ignorance!

[edit on 30-7-2010 by lasertaglover]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is more poltical grandstanding by Weiner. He should be directing his anger towards his fellow Democrats that voted against the bill. Last time I checked the Dems had the majority and should have been able to pass to bill without any Republican support.

It looks better in TV to yell and scream at the other side I guess.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
This is more poltical grandstanding by Weiner. He should be directing his anger towards his fellow Democrats that voted against the bill.

Except that all the Dems voted for it.

Read the thread. Or even the posts above yours.
Take your head out of your A*& before spouting BS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join