It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Disappearing Intellectual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

[]talking heads spewing lies, insults and nonsense in the various media, it would be wrong to suggest that these right-wing populist are intellectuals.

The Disappearing Intellectual in the Age of Economic Darwinism
Monday 12 July 2010
Henry A. Giroux, t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed

We have come to value ignorance."[5] He further argues that the notion that a politician should actually know something about domestic and foreign affairs is now considered a liability.

Which, for example, we saw as we watched Tony Hayward (by all means a politician) stonewall congress.

there is also something else at work here, less metaphysical and more pedagogical - a kind of intellectual vacuum produced at different levels of American society that cultivates ignorance, limits choices, legitimises political illiteracy and promotes violence.

The harsh values of this new social order can be seen in the increasing incarceration of young people, the modeling of public schools after prisons and state policies that bail out investment bankers, but leave the middle and working classes in a state of poverty, despair and insecurity

I invite you to read Henry A. Giroux words along with me and reflect upon our current state of disinformation and "intellectual vaccum".

Do you feel the internet and sites like ATS transcend some of this, or do they only amplify it?

I am,

Sri Oracle

edit to add... that was strange... 8 stars, no comments, and no flags in less than 3 minutes!

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
One can only help oneself become educated. Unless you are lucky enough to have a family or peers around to guide you the right way.

It must be said that intellectualism is not always an indicator of intelligence.

I will also add that politicians no longer want their jobs to help the country, it's obvious they want their jobs for power and to be in the limelight. It's also a massive problem that the schmucks of today don't vote for what they think is morally correct, they vote for what the media tells them to... so the MPs don't need to be intellectual or really intelligent, they just need a 'pretty' face, some good moves and the right words - fed to them of course by their doctors of spin.

Add to this that most of the people in power are psychopaths and you kind of start realising that there's no way back. I choose to bury my head in the sand, afterall, the only thing I'm hiding from is a sham, a display... almost like a play written to hide the truth behind the script!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Sri, i have seen you on here lately, and have enjoyed seeing your insights add to the conversations. At any rate, sadly it is hard for most people to become educated about whats going on because there is so much misinformation, and the schools really teach our kids a ridiculous version of history, and foster in them no desire to find out what really went on, or even an impression that there is a different version. I am hopeful, however, when i speak to teachers i meet that sometimes use blum, zinn, or chomsky in their teaching. I think zinn's "a peoples history of the US" should be required reading for all people who want to vote!

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

S&F.

From your OP:

...American society ...cultivates ignorance, limits choices, legitimises political illiteracy and promotes violence.

The old ATS was committed to a kind of education through sharing - investigation, analysis, rethinking, understanding - and finding civil solutions.

The older posts provided information about 'logic' and common fallacies: tools and defences to help us navigate the media and discussion with style, grace and integrity - to discriminate, and to learn.

Now? I dunno? I've been away for a while and of course the site has changed, mutated, maybe evolved. Have to get back to you on that one.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I firmly agree that intellectualism is frowned upon, asking questions is frowned upon and doing anything out of the ordinary that doesn't involve the standard cookie cutter template is also frowned upon. We live in a society where any creativity or free thought is looked down on and ignorance/corruption is rewarded. This is definitely not new news.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Sri Oracle,

There sure is no problem with gathering and gaining knowledge if it is coupled with common sense and honesty. We all are not to quit at gaining wisdom and understanding, the one great element to it is being humble and teachable and as one gains knoledge the more he realizes how little he knows and so goes on. This then turns out to be an eternal endeavor. The country, USA and the world need to see where the problem is and eradicate it.

It's easy to see something is wrong but can we get it back on track. ???

Truthiron

new topics

top topics

join