It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Should Thank Those Who Change Our Mind.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Why are we often difficult with people we disagree with?

I rarely see a poster say, “you know, you are right.”

Have you ever posted that? When? With who? What subject?

Let’s recognize those posters who have helped us THINK differently or learn something new.

Change is the ONLY constant, right?

Thanks in advance guys,

OT

Related Quotes:

“Time is a dressmaker specializing in alterations.” ~Faith Baldwin

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory.” ~W. Edwards Deming

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I saw these and thought them appropriate for the discussion…

“Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.”

“A wise man changes his mind, a fool never”

“Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.”

Source: thinkexist.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
One, but the light bulb has got to want to change...

love your work carry on...

edit to add
megapoone and various other psi ops not withstanding

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Do you write your own material?

OT lovin it!

"For change to oocur..........the Pain of the SAME, must outweigh the Pain of the CHANGE!"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I think there is a lot of wisdom here:

Changing a frame of mind or emotional state isn’t always easy. The process is misunderstood, especially in times of stress or surrounding deep rooted issues. Our greatest vulnerabilities like to remain in the background, hidden if they can.

link: www.designedthinking.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

you can usually tell my work because it contains spedding errorz
or edits...

I think the OP is at the heart of foruming...

I notice some, including myself, are writing sometimes rather than reading...
as others are writing back...
from entrenched positions like a snowball fight from forts...
for the audience, for venting, or for the psi ops.

Then you have the lurkers reading without posting here, though they may be blogging or posting somewhere else..
And also the mods are an audience and referees...who write...

Since I have been corrected from time to time, I have to face the fact that that I have room for improvement.

My favorite posters though enlighten me and remain friends, which is what keeps me here more than anything else...and I really like it when something I have posted benefits them in a real way...

When it is a two way street it is IMHO the height of civilization.

aaahh hell, who amy I trying to kid...
I grew up on hockey brawls and bar fights...
this is just easier on my knuckles and teeth

ps good qoute on change: stimulus is required...
nothing like a sharp stick in the eye to get some one's attention...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I am thankful for the posters on ATS who have helped me think differently, open my mind, encouraged me to delve deeper and especially those who have, in the face of my snarkiness, been patient and graceful to me in my quest for the truth.

There's no one in particular, but I have several times, said, "you know, you're right"... And I'm still alive.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You have made an excellent observation, Old Thinker.

I used to post quite heavily in another forum years ago around current events, politics and religion. I used to rant and rave and take on anyone else who disagreed with my 'way of thinking'. I realized one day that I wasn't learning anything new - only fighting with other people and their belief systems. Which only locked me into my own.

I stopped posting for a couple of years and only read forums (perpetually lurking!) In doing so, I've kind of changed my stance to where I try and stay away from feeling the need to expound my values and thoughts as being the 'right ones' and moved towards wanting to explore and learn new ideas.

Panna

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I have learned new information here and I try to remember to thank the poster for that info. I am here because I changed my mind on a lot of my preconceived notions. But I don't think anyone here has ever caused that change. My being here is a result of that change.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

Since I have been corrected from time to time, I have to face the fact that that I have room for improvement.

Sweet point!

None of us is as smart as ALL of us, huh?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Changing someone's mind is sort of like karma...you know it happens but you don't always see it happen.

Point being, sometimes it takes a while for the change to occur and the people who help change your mind are long gone, so if it does happen while they're still around, yeah tell them and thank them, because it matters.

Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds, cannot change anything. ~George Bernard Shaw

[edit on 7/30/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

"...you know, you're right...."

MegaDitto

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Panna
You have made an excellent observation, Old Thinker.

.......I've kind of changed my stance to where I try and stay away from feeling the need to expound my values and thoughts as being the 'right ones' and moved towards wanting to explore and learn new ideas.

Panna

P, Thanks oodles!

I am very solid on my beliefs...but try to be open for improvement and hopefully cordial in the pursuit.

OT

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
...I am here because I changed my mind on a lot of my preconceived notions. ....

"preconception" an idea or opinion formed beforehand, a bias; prejudice.

Wow!

How honest are we....great admission darkelf

Others?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
...I am here because I changed my mind on a lot of my preconceived notions. ....

"preconception" an idea or opinion formed beforehand, a bias; prejudice.

Wow!

How honest are we....great admission darkelf

Others?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
We should also be careful of people trying to change our mind by using deception. Being open minded is a good thing, and change can be a good thing, but don't believe everything you are told without educating yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Quite right. But would you agree that an open mind can also help guard against that very thing?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

I remember an old saying that went: Keep an open mind, just not so open that your brains fall out.

When I was younger, I just accepted many things to be true without ever checking the facts. As I got older, the evidence was not matching up with my beliefs. Many of the things I believed were fear driven. I went through about a ten year life change where I questioned everything I thought I knew. As I began to research I learned how people interpret evidence to push their own agenda.

Evidence is never proof. Evidence can be interpreted many ways and the ways in which we interpret it is influenced by our own beliefs and experiences. I always try to look at all sides of an issue before I make a determination. I have found that occam's razor is often right but is not always a fail safe.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
We should also be careful of people trying to change our mind by using deception. Being open minded is a good thing, and change can be a good thing, but don't believe everything you are told without educating yourself.

Link plz.
Second line

Ps
good point
thats where the multiple points of view is helpful as the OP pointed out.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Dude, I love your signature!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join