It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian jailed in Iran 'nuclear export' case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Canadian jailed in Iran 'nuclear export' case

www.bbc.co.uk

A Canadian court has sentenced a Toronto resident to over four years in prison for violating a United Nations resolution by attempting to export nuclear-related goods to Iran.

The items, called pressure transducers, are subject to a UN embargo on nuclear-related exports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iranian.com
www.ukwirednews.com
www.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Resolution Green-Lighting Israeli Strikes on Iran Introduced by House Republicans
Iran on war alert over "US and Israeli concentrations" in Azerbaijan

Mod Edit: Corrected title to reflect actual headline.

In the Breaking Alternative News forum, the thread title must match the original article.

News guidelines. Please review this link.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
False Flag? Or is this real?
Seems to me the ramp up to the war on Iran is self-evident, question remains, what will happen for the West or Israel to attack Iran?

Iran is being shown to us as a serious threat, even though Iranian leaders denounce the West's accusations, we have "proof" that people are trying to export illegal goods to them. This is falling into the same vicious circle we had with Iraq when Hussein was in power.
I think we will also end up with the same results unfortunately. Seems like the west is going on a massive resource grab these days and to top it off those resources we rely on everyday are slowly becoming way overpriced.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod edit: Updated title to reflect exact headline.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You need to fix that title. It is completely misleading.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Caught this on the news last night. Apparently (according to the news broadcast I watched) the person in question wasn't an extremist or supporter of terrorism, they were just doing it for the money. I mean, their actions WOULD have supported terrorists, but that wasn't their motivation.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

Agreed, the title should reflect the title from the article which is "Canadian jailed in Iran 'nuclear export' case"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

Originally posted by damwel

Agreed, the title should reflect the title from the article which is "Canadian jailed in Iran 'nuclear export' case"

That already is the title and has been since it was originally posted. The main forum says that is the title, the top of my post does as well.

EDIT: I see a MOD changed the title, funny cause i copied and pasted the title and even reviewed my post 3 times before leaving it and the title was exactly the news headline. So i am not sure how the title got changed in the first place, perhaps an oversight on my part but its weird.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by EspyderMan]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FuzzyDunlop
Caught this on the news last night. Apparently (according to the news broadcast I watched) the person in question wasn't an extremist or supporter of terrorism, they were just doing it for the money. I mean, their actions WOULD have supported terrorists, but that wasn't their motivation.

Wow, just for money? Supporting an extremist state with materials for nuclear use? I wonder if we will see any evidence of this fact. I don't deny that's what was reported, i am merely wondering what the facts are for this case besides what i read. These kinds of things are always shadowy so i don't expect to see much on it in the future.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
More fear mongering...

A pressure transducer is essentially a device which measures pressure and provides a digital signal enabling computers to read fluctuations in pressure and is not necessarily nuclear bomb making related material.

Most new cars come with tire pressure monitoring systems for example which are utilizing these devices.

These could also be commonly used in the oil industry where one would monitor the pressure of oil flow for example.

Unfortunately for this individual, with the new sanctions you aren't allowed to send something as commonplace as laptop computer to Iran without breaking the law behind the current sanctions and embargo.

What's next ? Shipments of Yellowcake Uranium ? !

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by EspyderMan

Oh, I wasn't trying to say that money was the definite reason, just the reported reason. I found it kind odd while watching that the media wasn't shouting 'terrorist! he's a terrorist!'
No doubt there's more to it than that, but people will help the devil just to fill their pockets with thirty pieces of silver. Just ask Prescott Bush. So, I think it could just be a matter of money.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

How exactly would they get us to hate people we don't know without fear mongering and misinformation?

Maybe if the US is going to get up other countries asses about nuclear weapons they should first disarm their own.
I know, I know 'but then we'll be sitting ducks if terrorists go nuclear! what about North Korea!?'... What exactly would nuclear retaliation accomplish besides making sure that the entire world is thoroughly f-ed. You don't want other countries to have those capabilities, lead by example. Right now, American nuclear capability gives other countries justification for having their own, or researching to move towards having their own.

Bonus: If terrorists *were* to detonate some sort of nuke in America, what exactly would be the response? Who do you nuke? Or does America have some sort of 'Taliban-only' bomb that won't cause harm to anyone or any building not affiliated with the terrorists?

Actually, who are the terrorists? To them, we are. After all, the villain never thinks they're the villain.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow, its an item that could serve many purposes, but the news reports decide to use the word Nuclear in the title, thereby giving the impression to people reading this person tried to share Nuclear secrets or materials to Iran.

Nice. MSM never ceases to amaze me. Someone in the MSM would do well to report what this item is like a poster here did so some naive people don't assume the worst.

To me, this is a very small incident based on responses here if those responses are true. (Not doubting anyone, im just very critical with information, no offense intended).
Seems he was just trying to make a quick buck by taking advantage of the fact Iran is not receiving certain materials that he was able to provide (illegally) and it wasn't all about facilitating Iran in its Nuclear Ambition.

Anyways, I am sure Iran will get what they need to go nuclear, there is always one country out there that needs money or resources and is willing to trade secretly with Iran. If they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I think thats why the west will attack Iran, they refuse to take a chance he will have one for defense or offense.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It's ok, the guy will be out in 6 months and do it all over again... That's the Canadian way of doing things... Beat your wife? Probation. Beat her again? Probation for breach of probation. Kill someone? Meh, you'll be out in a nickle...

Attempt to sell/export nuclear weapons? You'll be out in 6 months...

#ty system...

Magnum

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnum007

you forgot: decapitate and then begin to cannibalize a passenger on a bus and if you can prove you're crazy the government and media will bury the story so people don't know whether or not you're in a secure facility. seriously, what happened to that guy?

top topics

join