It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 million for the head of Arpaio : Cartels

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

My dear MrsDudara.... If, by some incredibly farfetched happenstance someone DID behead Sheriff Joe.... how would we REALLY know who did it??? And would he be any less dead if it was done by a 'legal' personage?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

No fan of Sheriff Joe, but I hope he is not harmed!

I can't stand that cartels, and I would make suggestions on how we deal with this but they would violate ToS I believe. So I'll be quiet!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Arpaio is scum, really.

Well frankly, you're most likely projecting. What makes Arpaio scum? The fact hes white, or that he enforces our immigration laws?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
One sure fire way to get normal thinking people to immediately disregard your opinion is for your opinion to essentially be "Hey, you are tough on crime and criminals, and that makes me hate you!" I see some of that in this thread.

Joe is tasked with one and only one job: serving the law abiding citizens of Maricopa County. For the folks outside of Maricopa county, your opinions against Sheriff Joe mean exactly jack and squat in equal proportions. For the minority of folks inside Maricopa County who dislike Sheriff Joe, complain all you want about him... but the simple fact is that until the majority of residents agree with you and vote for someone else he is still your sheriff. I don't see that changing anytime soon, either.

This drug cartel head bounty isn't a new thing, either. Anybody who questions the legitimacy of it because the cartel went public with it is ignorant of the environment along the border. I still keep updated on the goings on along the NM border and will tell you that a number of the law enforcement agents from New Mexico and from northern Mexico have openly "advertised" bounties on their heads. In fact, Palomas Mexico has gone through over a half a dozen police chiefs and countless police officers over the past year and a half because they keep getting these bounties placed on them and ultimately resign and flee with their families. A number of them have been granted asylum in the US over this. Some of those granted asylum have experienced the deaths of extended family members who remained in Mexico thanks to the cartels offering portions of bounties on family members of the primary target.

The United States is abutted by a damn third world, war torn nation. Make no mistake, it is a full blown war there and currently the best the US can do is to try to keep it from boiling over into this country... a task made infinitely more difficult by the morons in DC who are fighting the border states at every turn when they attempt to protect America from this crap. Personally, I'd 100% support CA, AZ, NM, and TX building a giant siphon-like, northern access restricted, fenced road along the entire border, then running a fenced superhighway from that collecting siphon road straight to Washington DC. Tell Mexico that any illegals found outside of the fenced portion of the road will be collected and shipped back while any who traveled only within the fenced highway are free to move unfettered. Let the whole lot of drug runners, criminals, and refugees end their journey on the White House lawn and see how long it takes before DC acts. I'm willing to bet that we'd see some "change" happen pretty damn fast if that scenario presented itself.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
One sure fire way to get normal thinking people to immediately disregard your opinion is for your opinion to essentially be "Hey, you are tough on crime and criminals, and that makes me hate you!" I see some of that in this thread.

Being tough on criminals has nothing to do with why the majority of us hate him. The fact that he is a criminal himself is the reason. I don't understand why the people of his county elect him when all he does is bring up lawsuit after lawsuit against himself doing things that he's covered his tracks on. Do they not realize that he just might be a bigger drain on the local economy then the actual illegal aliens they so dearly love to hate.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If you don't like the pink underwear, pink handcuffs, opera music, tent city and green bologna sandwhiches then DON'T COMMIT CRIMES IN THE COUNTY OF MARICOPA, ARIZONA. It's really that simple.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Arpaio is extremely corrupt, and regularly features in documentaries about human rights abuses. The old axiom, If you live by the sword, you die by the sword is about how it goes. What goes around comes around and all that. I lived in phoenix for several years, and while there i recall one point where he arrested the person running against him for sheriff, and another point where the bird, a popular indie news paper there that did exposes on his abuses, he continually harrassed, even to throwing the owner of the paper in jail.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procession101
Being tough on criminals has nothing to do with why the majority of us hate him.

Based on how quick many of his detractors are to criticize any demonstration of cajones displayed by any law enforcement, it certainly seems that this statement is disingenuous. It's the boy who cried "wolf" syndrome. If a person takes any possible reason to voiciferously degrade law enforcement professionals, eventually those listening will roll their eyes and view those complaints as being little more than sour grapes and see the complainer as being a defender of criminal behavior.

I've seen the claims against Arpaio and, quite frankly, they all can be directly traced back to one simple statement: If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Forgive me (and apparently the majority of Maricopa county voters) if I do not shed many tears for a rapist or theif who has to spend some time in an un-air conditioned tent. Also forgive my lack of sympathy over the so-called "abusive" treatment a prisoner recieves if they, themselves, showed a complete lack of sympathy for their victims of whatever crime they felt they were entitled to commit.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Have some of my fellow americans lost there horse sense...

It is being looked at the wrong way here....

I offer a dollar for one inch of each of the main drug lords brain stems.

Do not be shocked its for and in the name of science...

Anybody else willing to chip in???? What part do you want, an ear, an eye, a liver......

lmeao

Listen it does not matter if he is the next tweed what matters is this. did they actually put the hit out on him.....

as for his abuses... deal with the drug lords first then his crimes....

takes off hat, puts in a dollar...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Look, until everyone realizes that jails, and prisons are clearly not preventing any crimes from being commit, then there is no solution for criminals. The sheriff is a power hungry politician like everyone else, you would have to be to be in such a position. Criminals are products of the environment, obviously, without the environment they can't even exist.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
this crank is 78 years old, grampa's dementia in the arizona heat..the beloved
sheriff will be up on boot hill soon enough. I'm sure he would love to go out in a
blaze of glory..or holed up in his bunker in fountain hills. from the airport take the 101 north and head east on shea blvd. we saw him coming out of a hot dog joint once.
up close he's as gnarly as old john mccain..who we sat in the same deli with one morning..these people are ruthless, cold-blooded, media manipulators..
they've played this game for decades so what you gotta ask yourself is
'do i feel lucky- well do yah- punk?

[edit on 30-7-2010 by p51mustang]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Look, until everyone realizes that jails, and prisons are clearly not preventing any crimes from being commit, then there is no solution for criminals.

What percentage of prisons are posh resorts compared to the Arpaio idea of prison? When you have criminals who live their free lives in worse conditions than the average "posh" prison we've unfortunately watched our tax dollars wasted on, of course they don't serve as a deterent. Throw their asses into a facility without any luxuries, make them actually have to rise early every morning and bend their back to do labor in shackles, and then serve them a meal whose only purpose is to provide them with enough nutrients to get up the next day and repeat the process... no TV, no entertainment magazines, no wasting entire days sitting on their ass playing cards, nothing but a tarp keeping them dry in the rain and a flavorless meal (saving the taxpayers $$$ in the process) and then tell me jail is no deterent.

I also have never seen an adequate description of why any individual who clearly demonstrates a complete lack of dignity and respect for the people they victimize deserve one iota of dignity or respect given back to them at tax payer expense. When I lived in AZ, I was actually glad to see that my tax dollars appropriated towards law enforcement were going towards punishing the living hell out of scum rather than being wasted trying to help them comfortably and half-assedly "pay" their societal debt.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Thats the whole problem. Your point of view is that they act like animals, so we should treat them like animals, and then release them back into society after. This may be why we have the highest incarceration rate in the world, the majority of whom are repeat offenders. Our prison system is broken. It does not rehabilitate. It goes against human nature. Your taking a person, usually whose desperate situation has driven them to lives of addiction and crime, brutalizing them and allowing them to be raped and beaten, and thinking they'll come out again and be better citizens....into a worse situation before.

I dont understand how people think this is corrective. This has proven a fallacy in our society. If you treat people with brutality, rape and abuse, then the only thing any reasonable person would assume that they would learn would be......brutality, rape, and abuse! I work in psyche wards, and i can tell you that i have never seen a patient who has gone through rape and abuse, and become a better person for it. Usually they become a rapist and abuser. Any person with any understanding of human nature and psychology can see this. The thing is that many of you have an authoritarian point of view, that you can beat someone into doing the right thing. This is not the case. This is the 21st century, and you would think that with all our advances we could come up with an up to date form of treatment and rehabilitation for those who are societally broken. Instead our prisons resemble an 1800's sanitarium.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
let me see if i can get this straight.

that sheriff doing his job costs more than the billions that we pay for via healthcare,social security,welfare,medicare and jobs that americans cant get because they are here??

did i misread what that guy said???????????

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
No, they are saying that the millions in lawsuits and settlements that arpaio winds up shelling out from the cities pocket may severely mitigate the millions that the illegals in his particular county (maricopa) cost the hospitals and working people.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
no offense dude but that is chump change for the simple fact illegals dont stay in arizona.

they are in every state and everyone pays for them.

now your talking multi billions

[edit on 30-7-2010 by neo96]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
All day, a variety of reports have emerged from Sonora of a second major shootout near Saric, Sonora, which is a few miles south of the Arizona border, between the Nogales and Sasabe ports of entry.

Rafael Leon Pineda reports in his blog, La Perla del Desierto, that 300-400 gunmen came into town from outside to start the fight and reiterates a death toll of 30 to 40 people.

azstarnet.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I suppose thats one way to think of it. Another way is to think of the cost to society and humanity of propagating a system of punishment that terrorizes people and brutalizes them, and then brings them back out to society. What cost, our humanity? Further, by doing this not only do we make animals of them, we make beasts of ourselves. Do you truly think that the jailors can work in that environment and not suffer pressure to become beasts themselves? It destroys our own humanity to inflict that upon others. To deny this is folly. In choosing to fight "evil" with torment and brutality, you are forced to embrace the very evil that you so hate in them. You, as a capitalist, can look just at the cost in dollars, but dollars are made to serve our humanity, not dictate it, and there are other values that exist than profit and financial loss.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
wheres the humanity in screwing over someone whose lived here all theirs lives(legally)

WE can sit here and have the luxury of this chat do you not think there are any americans born right here who dont deserve the same things as you say.

simple fact for every benefit you want to give illegals you deny an american the same.

every day there are millions of americans turned down for healthcare,medicare,social security, and welfare.......... and our government bends over backwards and give illegals.

yeah i look at the cost and if you dont you need to(but hey free world do what you wish)

[edit on 30-7-2010 by neo96]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thats one way to look at it. Another way is to realize he doesnt just treat illegals this way, but our own citizens as well. I am not really concerned about illegals, i dont think they should be given a free pass. I AM concerned about all i stated above applied to our own citizens, as thats how he treats THEM....and if he is treating them this way, he is treating us this way, because what he subjects them to, he subjects our society to. And as i stated before, he also subjects those in charge of the prisons to.

<< 1    3 >>

join