It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saakashvili prepares for war with Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Saakashvili prepares for war with Russia

rt.com

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili has called on military top brass to build “total defense” and accused Russia of planning to “overthrow Georgian democracy.”

The Georgian leader expects an attack of “the enemy force… from the ethnically-cleansed territories,” referring to Abkhazia and South Ossetia, recognized by Russia as independent states in 2008.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Im no whiz in Russian/Gerogian relations, but I do know they dont really like eachother, at all. It's only been a few years since the last war between the 2 countries, the South Ossetia War, in 2008.

I would doubt Georgia would be able to take on Russia by themselves, unless they had other countires support. I wonder how this will all play out in the near future. Hopefully nothing happens, but I could see war coming again.

If war does happen, what will the other major powers do?

The Georgian president seems pretty serious, but then again, it could just be all talk.

Saakashvili set the task for his military to “burn each and every square meter of the Georgian land” beneath an enemy if it decides to invade the country. For this, the country should develop not only armed forces, but also a civil defense system, he said. Defense of the country is “a matter for each and every citizen” and “each village should be able to defend itself,” he stressed.

Georgia is also involved in Afghanistan and an ally of the US. I would hope the US dosent get involved, there's already too much stuff the US is involved with.

Meanwhile, the Georgian army is gaining experience in Afghanistan. The participation in the military operation in that country is important from a geopolitical point of view and it is “a good military school,” Saakashvili said. “We need experience, as we need total defense,” he added.

The Georgian army has had training with US marines recently, so they may be better equipped than the last war. Link

Edit - put in more information

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-7-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Check out an atlas. You will see that it is Georgia that seperates Russia from Afghanistan. When Russia was in control of Georgia, it was a rally and launch point used in the invasions. Of course, the CIA stepped in and created the Taliban to defend Afghanistan from Russian invasions.
Afterwards, Russia recognized Georgian independence. I think they are trying to go back on that word now.

With Israel and the US breathing down the Iranian neck, having control of Iraq and Afghanistan, bordered by Allied and neutral nations, it is easy to see why Russia would pick this time to invade Georgia again. They need it to buffer their country as well as set up shop to come in the back door to attack the US forces that would be moving into Iran from Afghanistan.

If Russia is able to get support from China and Kazikstan, then they have pretty much set up their own wall right there behind our forces. It will be a decisive sweep, similar to what happened to Germany. Hitler got cocky and divided his forces and went after France and Moscow at the same time. That was his downfall.

If Russia attempts to invade Georgia again, the US will have no choice but to step in and send divided forces there to shore up the Georgian government, which will leave a depleated force in both Afghanistan and moving on Iran.

Before you say it, the troops in Iraq cannot hold that country AND go into Iran. They would lose control and the IPF is nowhere near ready to patrol and hold the insurgents back without them.

Its getting tense in the Middle East. Brace yourselves kiddies, its going to be a long winter.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Georgia does seem like a good strategic location, and a shield country as well. I wouldnt think Russia would be as aggressive nowdays as when they were the Soviet Union, but I could be wrong.

If the US did intervene in the event of a war, the US would be drastically strained.The US is in the longest war it has ever had in history, 2 fronts, and no end in sight in Afghanistan. Going up against one of the worlds top powers would seem like suicide at the moment, plus the other countires that would join the fight.

Plus, Ahmadinejad said just a few days ago, the US was going to attack 2 Middle-Eastern countires within 3 months. Im thinking now Georgia could be one of them. I really didnt see this coming, if it does. I remember people talking about the South Ossetia War in 2008, saying it has a high possibility to lead to WW3. This time, it could be possible again.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Brzezinski brags about creating the taliban to attack the Russians to goad them into Afghanistan in the first place.
Just as the puppet with the Israeli defense minister and the US supplies paid for by US tax payers attacked Georgian Citizens under Russian protection by treaty.

Has Saskvilli stocked up on enough ties to eat in case he runs out of feet to chew?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Sorry, when has Russia invaded Georgia?

I remember Georgia attacking it's neighbour, South Ossetia. Independant states both of them.

Since South Ossetia is a small country, it has accepted Russian protection.

The Russians only got involved last year by request of their allies, who were being invaded by Georgia at the time.

Saakashvili is firmly in the US's pockets, and as such is "testing" the waters, seeing how far the bear can be provoked. The US would love to take more land from the Russians, for democracy. Oh no, not their democracy, the US's democracy.

Just another US warlord.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This is too funny, but, like has been stated here, it's all pomp and circumstance, cap and gown type entertainment.

Like Georgia is going to stop a Russian conflagration... that's like Cuba preparing to invade the U.S. - too funny.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Sorry, when has Russia invaded Georgia?

I remember Georgia attacking it's neighbour, South Ossetia. Independant states both of them.

Since South Ossetia is a small country, it has accepted Russian protection.

The Russians only got involved last year by request of their allies, who were being invaded by Georgia at the time.

It's nothing like that straightforward. South Ossetia was part of the Georgian Republic in the USSR, North Ossetia part of a different republic. Prior to the USSR, both regions were more combined. Since Georgia "inherited" south Ossetia after the collapse of the USSR most countries in the world do not recognise South Ossetia as an independent state. THere seem onlky two "fair" outcomes. Either south Ossetia is part of Georgia, or Russia cede's north Ossetia and allows the two Ossetia areas to form a single state. Except that Russia really wants just subsume both into itself instead and weaken the pesky pro-European Georgia with it's ability to transit oil to and from Black sea ports to Europe...

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
Check out an atlas. You will see that it is Georgia that seperates Russia from Afghanistan. When Russia was in control of Georgia, it was a rally and launch point used in the invasions. Of course, the CIA stepped in and created the Taliban to defend Afghanistan from Russian invasions.

I'm sorry, WHAT atlas????

Georgia has no borders with Afghanistan. It borders, Russia, Armenia, Turkey and Azerbaijan, and is part of the European land mass. Afghanistan is some 1000 miles from Georgia, and is part of the Central Asian land mass.

About the nearest city in Afghanistan is Herat, which is 1738 km (1080 miles) from Tbilisi in Georgia.

Cheers.

Rob.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by d60944]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hope he's stocked up on ties for the occasion..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a476892107b6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by d60944

So you agree that Georgia had no right to send it's troops into South Ossetia?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Seems like a lot of Country's are gearing up for war.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I hope that if that little turd tries that BS again that Russia rolls in till the capital, capture the bastard and hang him.

He's a corrupt scumbag hated by his population and supported by the west. He's a puppet and he's a dictator.

Now last time that happened, we nearly had WW3 and I'M NOT MAKING THIS UP.

The only thing that stopped nuclear war from happening was the US generals and Bush were ``sane`` enough to say no to Cheney who wanted to bomb Russia military forces while Russia had NUKES DEPLOYED in the area.

And according to the russian nuclear doctrine that they changed back before the conflict, any attack by high precision weapons on their forces would be fought back with tactical nuclear weapons because of inferior ``quality`` of Russia conventional army. Since they can't compete on the conventional level with the US arsenal, they use nukes to balance it out.

And this is not just BS. Russia had deployed nukes.

My sources :
A new book suggests Vice President Dick Cheney pushed for the US to engage militarily with Russia when Russia invaded the US-allied Georgian republic in 2008.
Russia deploys 2 SS-21 in South Ossetia

At a news conference on Sunday, the deputy national security adviser said we have noted that the Russians have introduced two SS-21 medium-range ballistic missile launchers into South Ossetia. Now, let me say a little footnote about those. They’re both conventional and nuclear.

They were prepared for the United States to intervene, and I think they were prepared—or at least they were wanting to show the United States that their doctrine of the use of tactical nuclear weapons, if the US attacks, was serious, and they needed to take—the United States needs to take Russia very seriously.

Now let's hope Obama and his gang are not as crazy as Cheney... but with all these predictions of WW3 for this autumn, you never know.

EDIT: Might also be related, Russia deployed a bunch of big tactical missiles on Estonia border last week... are they still on Estonia border or have they moved? Link in my signature.

But in all, I think this is BS. Every time we approach august since that war, Saakasvilli is making threats on how Russia is gonna invade them or something like it.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I think the Russians showed everyone how it's done, when they moved in to defend their nationals in S. Ossetia.

I suspect that Western leaders were a little miffed about that. All the more embarrasing considering they did it with supposedly outdated equipment.

Don't mess with the Bear you will not win.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
I think the Russians showed everyone how it's done, when they moved in to defend their nationals in S. Ossetia.

I suspect that Western leaders were a little miffed about that. All the more embarrasing considering they did it with supposedly outdated equipment.

Don't mess with the Bear you will not win.

Russia fought against an army one 20th its size and with even more outdated equipment on the whole that themselves. So it's nothing to boast about.

They actually lost a fair few planes and soldiers as well.

But the fact remains they had the right to defend South Ossetia. I'm just glad we (the west) did not send troops or bomb Russian troops directly. Wow that would have been bad..

[edit on 7/30/2010 by jonny2410]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Russia fought against an army one 20th its size and with even more outdated equipment on the whole that themselves. So it's nothing to boast about.

That may have been the case but the Russians only used a small portion of their military, to match Georgian forces. Although Russia deployed nearly twice as many tanks (man those Ruskies love their tanks).

Russia lost four planes, and their casualties were relatively few. As per usual civilian deaths were paramount. Two Sukhoi Su-25, one SU-24, and one TU-22MR. Two of these planes were reported to be downed by friendly fire.

But the fact remains they had the right to defend South Ossetia. I'm just glad we (the west) did not send troops or bomb Russian troops directly. Wow that would have been bad..

Totally agree, Russia had no other option, and whatever way the media got hold of it, it was going to be a negative bit of spin for the Russians. Whether they defended their citizens and were deemed 'overly aggressive' or they did nothing and were portrayed as 'weak.'

I particularly loved Bush's comments on Russian military action;

"Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century."

Pot calling the kettle black right there.

Russia could not afford to lose anymore influence in the region.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is just talk by Saakashvili, and demonstrates what a clown he is. He took a gamble by launching an attack on South Ossetia, and was almost ousted from power from internal opposition. This time he knows that if he starts crap again, then be better be ready to hang himself with his tie rather than try to eat it if he fails again. And fail he will. The Georgian army still hasn't rebuilt completely, especially in the number of tanks and APC's.

US already made it clear that it will not risk a conflict with Russia over some hotheaded idiot in a 3rd world country. Saakashvili knows that his days in power are numbered, so he is trying to boost his image by talking tough. The only problem is that everytime he opens his mouth he makes a fool of himself. The only good thing to come out of his mouth is a chewed up tie.

Originally posted by d60944
It's nothing like that straightforward. South Ossetia was part of the Georgian Republic in the USSR, North Ossetia part of a different republic. Prior to the USSR, both regions were more combined.

Historically South Ossetia continuously alternated between being part of Georgia and Russian empires, with occasional independence. The people of Ossetia are considerably different from Georgians however.

During the USSR, Stalin personally drew-up new borders and merged/cut different republics in order to mix up ethnicities and avoid nationalist movements. Thus, several regions were joined with Georgia. Needless, to say, Stalin himself was Georgian.

The whole mess started when Georgia pursued an ultra-nationalist track after the fall of USSR, and started to take away the rights of the autonomous republics like Abkhazia and South Ossetia. The careless and reckless policy of the 90's is what created the conflict, and Saakashvili is continuing with the nationalist tendencies. So it is no wonder that other ethnicities want nothing to do with them.

Since Georgia "inherited" south Ossetia after the collapse of the USSR most countries in the world do not recognise South Ossetia as an independent state.

But many including the US do recognize Kosovo, which deserves independence no more than South Ossetia. The hypocrisy of this is very clear to Russia. In fact Russia warned when US granted independence to Kosovo, that this would be a dangerous precedent, but US couldn't care less at the time.

THere seem onlky two "fair" outcomes. Either south Ossetia is part of Georgia, or Russia cede's north Ossetia and allows the two Ossetia areas to form a single state.

How about letting Ossetians decide what they want? If they want to be part of Russia, then so be it. They would be much better off than being separate and they know it. But I do see your point from the international legal perspective. South Ossetia will not be joining Russia anytime soon however - that is certain.

Except that Russia really wants just subsume both into itself instead and weaken the pesky pro-European Georgia with it's ability to transit oil to and from Black sea ports to Europe....

I don't know about that. I think Russia stands to benefit most from status quo - keep South Ossetia separate, and have it remain a thorn in Georgia's side. Having South Ossetia join Russia will not impede Georgia from transporting oil through the new pipeline, and won't really weaken Georgia anymore than it already has.

top topics

join