It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Old Secret Society Bible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hey there ATS, I do apologize for not having the pictures with me just at this moment...though I have an interesting bit of information. My great aunt, who is almost 84, inherited (probably some time a long while ago) her grandfather's bible.

Ok, no big deal there...it's just the run-of-the-mill, mid to late 1800's, four to four and a half inch thick bible. The only difference (and the thing that caught my eye) is that it's got some sort of symbol on it. It resembles the Freemason's symbol with the compass and such, but there is a G in the center of this symbol (unless I just haven't seen enough Freemason symbols in my time). The symbol also appears throughout the bible in various places. I don't know if it's some sort of Freemason insignia or if it's another secret society. Whoever the symbol belongs to...it's old...I mean, the bible was passed down to my great aunt (currently 83) from her grandfather.

Any ideas on what it was? I'm going up to cut her grass tomorrow, so I'll be able to get a picture and I'll put it on here ASAP.

Wow. Sorry...Just realized that the icon for the "Secret Societies" folder on the board home page shows the Freemason symbol with a G in it too. Well, ok...I feel just slightly less intelligent now...Either way, still it seems like a cool find. She's always had that bible and I never realized it has that symbol on it. Ugh, sorry again about that though...

(edit to repair my complete ignorance)

[edit on 7/30/2010 by philosearcher]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
yeah theres always a G in the middle.
Gotta say though its strange to have it on a bible as the masonic lodge worships the grand architect as opposed to god and the bible.
If you can you should try and take it for the night and scan it into your pc , if not then just get a pic of the front cover and then a few example pics of the symbol occurring in the actual text of the book. This could be very important to my own research as I have been studying masonry for quite a while now.
Though If you want to U2U them to me that would be even better.
And most of all dont tell too many people about your find , as you would be surprised the trouble it could cause you.
looking forwrd to some pics

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mackblack27
Generally only in the United States...

Gotta say though its strange to have it on a bible as the masonic lodge worships the grand architect as opposed to god and the bible.
Not at all. A majority of Masons are Christian. Freemasonry isn't a religion, it just requires that its members not be atheists. Jews, Christians & Muslims can sit together in brotherhood and not bicker about whose God is the "right" God. We use the term "Grand Architect of the Universe" because that's what God is—He which made everything.

If you can you should try and take it for the night and scan it into your pc , if not then just get a pic of the front cover and then a few example pics of the symbol occurring in the actual text of the book. This could be very important to my own research as I have been studying masonry for quite a while now.
Though If you want to U2U them to me that would be even better.
And most of all dont tell too many people about your find , as you would be surprised the trouble it could cause you.
looking forwrd to some pics
It won't cause any trouble at all, actually. It's likely the King James translation. You should be able to buy a Masonic bible at any decent-sized bookstore. I mean, the fact that it's antique and all is cool, but there's nothing spooky about it or anything. Just a handful of pages or passages marked that are of particular significance to Masons...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Does it look like this, by any chance? :

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9dec63343335.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yupp definately a masonic bible, I also have one but mine is signifigantly newer lol my uncle (also a mason) gave it to me when I joined.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

That's awesome! I have relives who are Masons. Do Mason lodges give out Bibles like this or you have to join.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by silent thunder

That's awesome! I have relives who are Masons. Do Mason lodges give out Bibles like this or you have to join.
It's for members... usually only given when a member is raised to the 3° or Master Mason. Often it's one that a family member, friend, or mentor provides, and there's usually a page in the front cover for all the officers present at the conferral of that degree to sign it.

But like I said, you can get them on Amazon or eBay or any number of places.

I'd be curious to hear more about the one in the OP though... A, because it's so old, and B, because he's in Pennsylvania. I don't know if the great aunt's grandfather was a Pennsylvania Mason, but my understanding is that some of the ritual work is slightly different in PA than in most of the other states in the US. So I'd be interested to know which passages are marked with the square and compasses, just to see if they match up with what I'd expect to see in a modern one. (I don't actually own one, myself, but should probably get one eventually...)

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Well, I can't believe I forgot the name of the damn thing. It isn't the Freemasons actually...it was a different lodge (maybe some sort of similar group to the masons but under a different set of rules or something. I read a bit about the Freemasons last night and some groups don't actually call themselves Freemasons but they sometimes follow certain rules but make their own. I don't know if it's a lodge like that but I did get a picture...It's not a good picture, I'll try to get another one soon (a better one). I must say, it doesn't actually have a "G" in the center. It has what looks like a compass and a right angle (like the Masonic Insignia) but it's got just an open book in the center instead of the "G". Interesting. Also, I'll be going back up tomorrow...so, I should remember to get the name of the Lodge.

So here's the picture...if I can get it on here.

and if that doesn't work...just go here...

Link to my picture

edit to add: Ok, so it worked! awesome! but like I said, it's really bad quality. I'll try and get a better picture of it, and also, I don't think there are any markings? I'll look through it better though to make sure I didn't miss anything. Again, there's just a book in the center, maybe a bible? Not sure, but it's cool nonetheless.

[edit on 7/31/2010 by philosearcher]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

It's the square & compasses alright, so it's definitely Masonic. Like I said earlier, the G in the middle is a fairly late addition and used primarily in the US. The open book is, as you suspect, the Volume of Sacred Law. Masonic rules state that the Bible (or equivalently significant holy book if the lodge is predominantly non-Christian) be open on the altar during all meetings. It's a significant part of the ritual.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the additional information
I appreciate all of it and the interest. I did get the initials of group. It's the O of IA. I've seen it OoIA as well. I'm not too sure what it stands for but I did Google it and found this website:

Link

It's not much but it's a little more info. Apparently, it's extremely old. I also looked at the copyright date and wouldn't you know I forgot to write that down? I'm awful at remembering things too. It was in the 1800's though. Old stuff. If I remember to look again I'll post it if anyone's super interested in the copyright.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

Some Google searching seems to indicate it's the "Order of Independent Americans", which seems to have been active mostly (entirely?) in PA. No immediate details available, however... A few photos, lodge buildings, rosters, graves, pins, etc. Will try to find out more, if you'd like.

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Will try to find out more, if you'd like.

Sure thing if you've got some spare time in which you need something to do. It seems kind of interesting but I just never take the time to look it up, anything you find would be really great. Thank you

edit to touch up quote

[edit on 8/5/2010 by philosearcher]

posted on Aug, 5 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mackblack27

Not always. Usually just in the United States and Canada.

...This could be very important to my own research as I have been studying masonry for quite a while now.

If you have been researching Masonry "for a while now", how would you not know that no Masonic Lodge can be opened for meeting without an open Bible on the Altar?

Furthermore, of course, God *is* the Grand Architect. "Grand Architect of the Universe" is a title used for God in Freemasonry, but words like "God", "Deity", "Jehovah", and "Supreme Being" are also used in Masonry.

How in the world would that cause him "trouble"?

top topics

join