It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was the last time you wrote a letter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

I would just like to know, when was the last time that you picked up a pen and wrote a nice letter to someone and sent it in the post/mail?

I think this ancient form of communication is becoming obsolete. This would be such a shame! I get so much pleasure from writing letters, and people generally love to receive a nice written letter from a friend.

I also find that it is very therapeutic to write letters using a nice pen.

What do you think?

Are written letters safer than e-mail? Who can read your written letter along the way if it is sealed in an envelope?

I hope to revamp the image of letter writing, to make it more appealing to people.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
5th grade, We were asked to write a fake complaint letter to a company and turn it into the teacher, I misheard her, mailed it to the company, got a big box of chocolate. A+

Other than that I average 4,000 texts a month, and about 3-400 emails......

The future is ours!

Edit to add: we move on in communication, and will continue to, no more cave writings.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

I'm all for letters!
In retrospect I regret every letter I never wrote but goshdang I do love receiving and reading a good letter from a beloved friend or family member...
my mama used to write me letters all through my terrible teens, it was the only way she knew how to get through to me sometimes...
they were so precious she had no idea how...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I do send the rare letter, but when I lived in Ontario our post man who went door to door would routinely give our mail to the wrong address as well we would get other people's mail who lived completely on a different street.

Now we are in Alberta using a post office box and the same thing happens. My faith in humanity to use the honor system to assure we get our mail is not high.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Hopefully soon, I've got 6 'thank-you' cards sitting here that I have been needing to write for about 2 weeks now. These I hope will be more of the 'letter' type rather than a simple thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I write little love notes to my boyfriend weekly and stick them in his lunch box. I have also written him letters when we are argueing and he is too angry to listen, so I write it down on at least five pages so he can read it when he is more clear headed.

I also write thank you notes and mail them after interviews.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
I write little love notes to my boyfriend weekly and stick them in his lunch box. I have also written him letters when we are argueing and he is too angry to listen, so I write it down on at least five pages so he can read it when he is more clear headed.

I also write thank you notes and mail them after interviews.

Dear god 5 pages......

Kind of glad letters aren't popular anymore

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

The love letters sound very nice! You may also want to try scented paper, like Reese Witherspoon does in the film 'Legally Blonde'

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

Hi Hi -

I thought you might like this...

Pen pals meet after 59 years of letters

A 59-year friendship that began as a school assignment to write a letter to a soldier has culminated in the pair meeting after 59 years!

Rohl and Schumacher met in person for the first time last week.

"I can't even explain how I feel about this whole thing," she said. "It's a beautiful thing."

UPI

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Here in Finland - the Land of Great Ideas - the post office has launched a brilliant new project to digitize all your snailmail and email it to you. Yes, even love letters. The project covers a limited, rural region (apparently) but I'm sure this is just a sign of things to come.

The digitized mail is forwarded within a couple of weeks to its recipient.

Still, it's just weird.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I had a pen pal when I was in grade school. I always felt guilty because she always wrote me at least two or three letters to each one of mine. I was not a very good pen pal. I thought e-mail would be different but no such luck. I still don't seem to answer very quickly. I have a card in my notebook to send to a friend I lost touch with, but it's been in my notebook for two or three weeks. I looked her address up on PeopleFinder about three or four months ago. Maybe I just procrastinate!?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I have never owned a printer for my computer.
I write notes all the time by hand.
Last one was last week.

Its sad to say but the last time I got a hand written note from a university student it was all capital letters with tons of spelling mistakes.

All I can do is shake my head.
People need to really learn how to read AND WRITE!!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
A couple months ago before my bf left for Italy I wrote him a little love letter and put it in his bag of goodies before he left. He didn't see it til he opened the bag when he got home..He liked it and thought it was a sweet surprise to find.

I love stationary lol I have some ready and waiting to send my bf letters in Italy while he is there. I told him emails and stuff like that weren't personal and unique. I asked him to once a month write me a hand written letter.

Although I do have an idea I got from a friend. She and her bf pass back and forth a notebook and they each write in it and send it back and forth to one another. He is in Iraq she is here. She said she loves it because she can go thru and read it and its personal.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The last time I wrote a letter was a few months ago and I wrote it to my Uncle who doesn't know how to use the internet very well. Other than that its been forever. I haven't gotten a letter from someone in years.

Though I do think its nice to receive one from time to time, its much more personal than an email.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
While it is kind of a lost art, it's just obsolete these days.

Why take a few days to get a message to another, when you can do so instantly?

It's as simple as that really.

I only use it when:

1. Time isn't a factor
2. The personal touch is more desired.

That's it really....and those circumstances are rare, usually only for family/friends, special occasions, and then usually with a card, invite, etc.

new topics

top topics

join