It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphene Bubbles have Bizarre magnetic properties

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have a distinct feeling that AI as we know it is about to take a quantum leap ahead with Graphene.

Pun intended, naturally.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
F'in magnets. How do they work?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

Try this link...

Magnetisim

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cloud Taster

Try this link...

Magnetisim

Man, I don't wanna hear from a scientist. Those mofos are always lyin', and gettin' me pissed!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I am a wannabe kid scientist but here....
en.wikipedia.org...

* Ferromagnetic and ferrimagnetic materials are the ones normally thought of as magnetic; they are attracted to a magnet strongly enough that the attraction can be felt. These materials are the only ones that can retain magnetization and become magnets; a common example is a traditional refrigerator magnet. Ferrimagnetic materials, which include ferrites and the oldest magnetic materials magnetite and lodestone, are similar to but weaker than ferromagnetics. The difference between ferro- and ferrimagnetic materials is related to their microscopic structure, as explained below.
* Paramagnetic substances such as platinum, aluminium, and oxygen are weakly attracted to a magnet. This effect is hundreds of thousands of times weaker than ferromagnetic materials attraction, so it can only be detected by using sensitive instruments, or using extremely strong magnets. Magnetic ferrofluids, although they are made of tiny ferromagnetic particles suspended in liquid, are sometimes considered paramagnetic since they cannot be magnetized.
* Diamagnetic means repelled by both poles. Compared to paramagnetic and ferromagnetic substances, diamagnetic substances such as carbon, copper, water, and plastic are even more weakly repelled by a magnet. The permeability of diamagnetic materials is less than the permeability of a vacuum. All substances not possessing one of the other types of magnetism are diamagnetic; this includes most substances. Although force on a diamagnetic object from an ordinary magnet is far too weak to be felt, using extremely strong superconducting magnets diamagnetic objects such as pieces of lead and even mice [7] can be levitated so they float in mid-air. Superconductors repel magnetic fields from their interior and are strongly diamagnetic.

Easier than writing myself.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have no training in any kind of math or science, so the technical details of this post are beyond my capabilities, however I can certainly appreciate the possibilities such a discovery as this will open up for our future. I imagine quantum computers all linked via a new "Internet" all of which are able to commuicate instantly and all over the globe. We could have a global virtual "AI" that would be able to process information instantaneously and with such a high degree of insght and accuracy it would almost be indistinguishable from a real human mind, but then you start to cross over into all kinds of funky sci-fi theories ala Terminator-esque scenarios. Id like to think that we are ultimatley smarter than to allow such a event from occuring. However I can certainly see from there all sorts of discoveries in the science, astronomy and even medical fields. As was said earlier we are in the "stone age" of the information age. I mean think of it..40 years ago the technology that is common today wasnt even thought of yet...what will things be like in another 40 or 50 years?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
could a discovery like this have any effect on space exploration, maybe a better way to send telescopes further into space than ever before?

If we can coat an object with a layer of electrons and apply these nanobubbles we can send objects very close to light speed.

(Look up rail gun.)

You said you had a working time machine many months ago.

What happened?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
Once the scientists figure out what causes gravity & inertia, they will figure out how to cancel it out. That will lead to craft that act exactly how UFO's do, with 90 degree turns, instant stopping, instant velocity from zero, etc.

It will change the world, completely. We are living in the stone age.

You, and about everybodey else, confuse "anti-gravity" with anti-mass. The two are not the same. Think about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
could a discovery like this have any effect on space exploration, maybe a better way to send telescopes further into space than ever before?

If we can coat an object with a layer of electrons and apply these nanobubbles we can send objects very close to light speed.

(Look up rail gun.)

You said you had a working time machine many months ago.

What happened?

Never did but I said I had plans for a time machine.(I.e. Create closed tiemlike curves as well as closed spacelike curves.)

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
One of my pet ideas is that alien UFOs use graphene in the skin of their hull to generate the immense magnetic fields needed( if Heim theory turns out to be true) to propel their craft.

Graphene layered on Nitenol (the memory metal supposedly found at Roswell). They have similar tensile strengths and graphene is the most conductive material known to humankind.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Bobbox1980]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It could be interesting to apply a coating of these graphene bubbles to one side of a non-conductive material. Then subject it to various frequencies of microwaves at different power levels.

The main problem with electro-gravity propulsion is power density. As microwaves are absorbed by a electromagnetic field, the effects may not be the same if no electricty is applied.

No, I don't know what I am talking about, but it sounds good. Huh!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I cant wait to start seeing all the new things come out, one things for sure, life is going to change, and our current ways of life will be a distant memory.
Hopefully im alive long enough for natural death to be a thing of the past too

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Graphene? Nice...... Carbon based substance? Now if I may type as I think here and throw a few questions here.
Is graphene found in oil possibly created from the oil or can it be a liquid form of the solid found?
Along with the discovery of water on the moon sort of brings another question here, are they actually bothered what they do to the seas etc etc? We'll be paying for water from a different supplier soon lol but if graphene could be found, or created from oil that makes this spill seem a whole lot different again. Ideal material for spacecraft therefore what cheaper way to get the oil than a massive spill. Kinda funny the sudden locations of other spills?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Just a very simplified explaination.

Graphene is basically soot, and only one atom in thickness, captured on to a stainless steel plate inside a chamber with a carefully controlled atmosphere.

As you propably know carbon is found in every lining thing on this planet as we are all carbon based life forms. You could get graphene from burning wood or coal or crude oil.

Oh, believe me there is far more to graphene than this, but as I said this is just a very simplified explaination.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by hdutton]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Don't be such an AHOLE. Oil is the lubricant of all manufacturing in the world. I imagine your a bottle water freak. The container is made of plastic and the main ingredient of plastic is oil derriditive.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
edit: posted too soon....will read some pages from now on before I jump in!

[edit on 7/30/2010 by DCPatriot]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thanks alot OP for opening my eyes to this technology.

It blows my mind how quickly it advances.

Keep us posted on any graphene news.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980graphene is the most conductive material known to humankind.
Correction: The most conductive (actually, the least resistive) room temperature material.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu

Originally posted by The Cloud Taster

Try this link...

Magnetisim

Man, I don't wanna hear from a scientist. Those mofos are always lyin', and gettin' me pissed!

Don't mistake climate scientists with physicists, mathematicians and chemists. They actually care about their reputation. Besides we've known how magnets work for a very, very, very, very long time.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbox1980
One of my pet ideas is that alien UFOs use graphene in the skin of their hull to generate the immense magnetic fields needed( if Heim theory turns out to be true) to propel their craft.

Graphene layered on Nitenol (the memory metal supposedly found at Roswell). They have similar tensile strengths and graphene is the most conductive material known to humankind.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Bobbox1980]

That exactly was my point in my since deleted post above.

I am not an engineer, but I understand that a high-speed train propels itself by synchronized magnets.

Why not be able to do the same thing in a graphite-type skinned craft?

Suddenly this changes my entire outlook on the Phoenix Lights and Stephenville, Texas sightings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join