It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphene Bubbles have Bizarre magnetic properties

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (July 29, 2010) — Graphene, a sheet of pure carbon heralded as a possible replacement for silicon-based semiconductors, has been found to have a unique and amazing property that could make it even more suitable for future electronic devices.

Specifically, the electrons within each nanobubble segregate into quantized energy levels instead of occupying energy bands, as in unstrained graphene. The energy levels are identical to those that an electron would occupy if it were moving in circles in a very strong magnetic field, as high as 300 tesla, which is bigger than any laboratory can produce except in brief explosions, said Michael Crommie, professor of physics at UC Berkeley and a faculty researcher at LBNL

"By controlling where the electrons bunch up and at what energy, you could cause them to move more easily or less easily through graphene, in effect, controlling their conductivity, optical or microwave properties. Control of electron movement is the most essential part of any electronic device.""

When you crank up a magnetic field you start seeing very interesting behavior because the electrons spin in tiny circles," he said. "This effect gives us a new way to induce this behavior, even in the absence of an actual magnetic field."

Among the unusual behaviors observed of electrons in strong magnetic fields are the quantum Hall effect and the fractional quantum Hall effect, where at low temperatures electrons also fall into quantized energy levels.

This is a very significant advancement in future of electronics.And it is also more observational evidence to support on my time travel thesis.

If you check the article it says 300 TESLA. 300 tesla is equal to 3 million gauss.And 30,000 gauss is equal to the amount of magnetic flux density of an MRI machine.So that is the thing that really blows my mind.

They could design this in a way to allow increased magnetic propulsion without the use of actual magnetic fields. And it would be magnitudes higher than what we are even capable of doing today.

Sounds like a thing that could be used if someone were attempting to build a particle accelerator.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That kind of magnetic density opens up some real possibilities. Nice find!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sounds like the army just let out the next wave of "alien tech". Would this help with anti gravity in any way?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Sounds like the army just let out the next wave of "alien tech". Would this help with anti gravity in any way?

WEll if my time machine thesis is correct this technology, yes its part of it, would allow for the machine to increase gravity and possibly balance out gravity in a room to near zero.

So yes in a way.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You can bet your bottom dollar, that the military already has developed or is currently developing this tech.. Oh the possibilities

en.wikipedia.org...

[EDIT] to add link

[edit on 29-7-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
That kind of magnetic density opens up some real possibilities. Nice find!

This could be used as a PERMANENT kind of memory storage
which would probably be a heck of a lot faster than hard disks
or flash memory.

And with teh size of the graphene structure me thinks
you might see 10 Petabyte storage cards for but a few bucks!

OR an iPhone with a 1000 Gigabytes of Memory

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
There is no denying that the pace of advancement is increasing exponentially.

It was only this spring that I was talking to one of my instructors about the announcement of a 1000GHz/1THz experimental graphene processor being tested in a lab.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Although I personally see time travel as resulting from the manipulation of a Casimir Effect device, I'm going to have to check my notes and review some math...a material with a field that strong opens some very interesting doors.

There are two other stories that I am waiting for updates on. The first is about Masers (matter stream 'lasers'), the second is the ability to transmit magnetism like we now transmit electricity.

Add to all this the announcement about cloaking and the rapid rate of advancement there and we have got some interesting building blocks spread out on the floor.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

Nice find Gentill

Notice that the article describeds a pseudomagnetic field rather than an actual magnetic field in that the electons behave in certain ways as if they were contained by said powerful field.

The article isnt saying that they can use graphene bubbles to create powerful magnetic fields.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Don't forget rail gun projectiles, maglev, and motors.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Wow, this is the third time I've run across the thing called graphene in the past month.
The only thing I know about it is that it's a hexagonal form of carbon one atom thick and that it may lead to the development of quantum transistors and cloaking devices.

Time to do more research on graphene.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
awsome find .WOW just WOW . To put this sort of tec into the rebuilding of our worne out infastructure is a true blessing . Stop the production line and retool .Good by fossile fules hellow enviroment .

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
good find indeed. All these new techs that are coming from the direct manipulation of materials on the atomic and quantum level are pretty groovy. I have been adamant since I was a teenager (way too long ago) that given the remarkable ability of humans to engineer things, once the ability was unlocked to manipulate matter at its fundamental level, we would exponentially accellerate our tech growth -- in the process removing ourselves from recordable history, but that's a differant thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Now that I think about it, this can be used to create ultra high densities over very short periods of time.

This certainly means we can create ACTUAL STARS BECAUSE OF THE PSEUDO-MAGNETIC FIELDS THAT WE COULD PRODUCE.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hi Gentill

Repeating myself here a bit but they are only creating pseudo-magnetic fields rather than actual magnetic fields.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Once the scientists figure out what causes gravity & inertia, they will figure out how to cancel it out. That will lead to craft that act exactly how UFO's do, with 90 degree turns, instant stopping, instant velocity from zero, etc.

It will change the world, completely. We are living in the stone age.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Nice find Gentill

Notice that the article describeds a pseudomagnetic field rather than an actual magnetic field in that the electons behave in certain ways as if they were contained by said powerful field.

The article isnt saying that they can use graphene bubbles to create powerful magnetic fields.

I know but that kind of power would be definitely used to manipulate electromagnets.

Say you have 1 dense electromagnetic spherical core.

You then have 50 gallons of liquid hydrogen surrounding it.

Now you have another electromagnetic layer.

The 2 magnetic layers here are suspended in midair and attract each other.

IF we can use this to act as a magnetic field to the electrons in the magnets then we can compress the object in all directions, due to the forces of the magnetic field, and create nuclear fusion.

Sorry I didn't read your post before typing that last one.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the info!

I personally can't say anything on the time travel theories, but graphene semiconductors (SCs) will play a large role for me in the future. I work with a team that designs digital x-ray detectors used for mamography, cardiac, etc. applications. We're using silicon-based SCs for both our FETs and our photodiodes. There are several applications where we have to 'settle' for several ms per line read to let charge dissipate (otherwise we get info from line A contaminating info from line B, etc.)- with graphene SCs, because the electron transfer rate is 2 - 3 orders of magnitude greater than silcon-based SCs, we'll be able to run the detectors ~100 times faster (once we have read-out electronics that can perform that fast - ~10x at the moment).

Stressing the graphene to creae the ~300T bubbles is interesting. Maybe you could deposit graphene (or sublimate silicon from silicon carbide, as is one of the current practices) on to liquid crystal (LC) arrays (or right on to an LCD???) to make a 'selectively stress-able' substrate so you could easily turn the magnitic fields on and off to precisely control the location and energy of the free electrons. This would make a lousy storage system since the LCs would relax when un-biased, thus releasing the electrons, but it would be a fairly cheap and dirty way to start playing around with the electronic properties of graphene...

Anyway, thanks again for the info - I'm going to look into graphene a bit more and maybe toss the idea at our panel designer as something to start thinking about for maybe 3 - 5 years down the road.

-CoSiNe

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Ive seen lots of science articles on graphene lately in various journals. Interesting stuff!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
could a discovery like this have any effect on space exploration, maybe a better way to send telescopes further into space than ever before?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
could a discovery like this have any effect on space exploration, maybe a better way to send telescopes further into space than ever before?

If we can coat an object with a layer of electrons and apply these nanobubbles we can send objects very close to light speed.

(Look up rail gun.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join