It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Mexican drug lord killed in clash with army

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
MEXICO CITY – One of the top three leaders of Mexico's most powerful drug cartel died in a gunfight with soldiers Thursday, ending the long run of a mysterious capo considered a founder of the country's massive methamphetamine trade.

The death of Ignacio "Nacho" Coronel near the city of Guadalajara is the biggest strike yet against the Sinaloa cartel led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman — Mexico's top drug lord — since President Felipe Calderon launched a military offensive against drug traffickers in late 2006.

news.yahoo.com...

Looks like Mexico is stepping up! I like the way the Mexican government is finally taking action. What's next though after this person's death? Hopefully nothing bad against the citizens of Mexico.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I always applaud when a government takes a stand against criminal activity.

By the way...isn't Ignacio "Nacho" this guy...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe he just like to eat nachos and chose to be nicknamed nacho.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
From the op's source.

Coronel's downfall came amid persistent allegations that Calderon's administration appeared to be favoring the Sinaloa cartel, or not hitting it as hard as other drug gangs.

I had been reading a lot about the rumor above about Calderon favoring the Sinaloa Cartel.

Surprising how quick they got this guy once these accusations were made.

As for the drug lord death, I expect someone else to take his place.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
As for the drug lord death, I expect someone else to take his place.

exactly right
the power vacuum
is mighty

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Looks like Mexico is stepping up! I like the way the Mexican government is finally taking action. What's next though after this person's death? Hopefully nothing bad against the citizens of Mexico.

They do seem to be actively working on the situation in a very tentative manner. I honestly think they are afraid to really get the job cleaned up and knowing how corrupt they are I wouldn't be surprised if this "kill" wasn't authorized by a rival drug lord.

This problem unfortunately won't be cleaned up by killing Drug Lords though.
A follow up to this article could read:

Top Mexican Drug Lord Killed In Clash With Army
UPDATE: Drug Lieutenant Promoted to Top Mexican Drug Lord
Already Praised in Three New Mexican Songs!

The War on drugs is such a joke that has kept innocent civilians trapped in the middle of a no win situation. No one wants to be one of the 25 heads we're going to read about being found in Mexico next week.

Meanwhile we just keep arresting and killing dealers and users, neither of which are in short supply.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

This problem unfortunately won't be cleaned up by killing Drug Lords though.

I have to agree.

But I believe the US thinks it can replicate the success
it had in Colombia.

I mean once they got Pablo Escobar, they pretty much lessened the power of the cartels.

As the case of the Medellin cartel shows, the Colombian government was able to take down a major terrorist, drug-trafficking organization by carefully playing the cartels’ turf wars to the state’s advantage. Mexico could conceivably do the same thing – although the situation is complicated by the fact that Mexico is struggling with at least six major cartels, not two like Colombia in the 1990s.

colombiareports.com...

[edit on 29-7-2010 by jam321]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Apparently said dead drug lord no longer suited their purposes.
I wonder what the real backstory is.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I could be mixing up my Terra groups but usually when something like this happens the drug lord retaliate ten fold. with shootings of the families or the army police and Gov officials.

this could kick something big into gear

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Isnt this that American born guy who was an all star football athlete turned drug lord? Or is this a different guy? I believe the guys name was 'el Barbie" but had like 3 other names, and this name looks like one of those other names, but I am not sure.

anyone?

NEVERMIND- Its not him. Sorry.

Heres a link to this guys pic if anyone is interested.
www.google.com... ved=0CCgQsAQwAA

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Nope, not Barbie.

Although he is probably their next target.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The drug war
Our news.

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com...

Three Chandler police officers were shot last night, one fatally, during an undercover drug bust, which, as described by police, sounds like a scene out of Miami Vice.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I hear ya.

You know what I found funny?

It was revealed that right after Todd Bridges and Dana Plato from "Different Strokes" did the "Just Say No" commercial with Nancy Reagan, the went somewhere got high and had sex.

Drug use is just a reality at this point and we should stop locking up addicts with hardened criminals thereby compounding the issue.

If we really want to stop this, we need to make some radical changes.

With so many "officials" with their hands dirty from connections to drug money I can't help but feel some of these popular busts are just to give us the perception that things are getting done when in reality it is worse than we know.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Nacho is how Ignacios are called as a pet name in Spanish.
As far as I know, the guy who invented nachos was called Ignacio and decided to name the dish after him

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Barbie is already in jail.
second line.

new topics

top topics

join