My belief about this stone.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

What if the "u" was actually a "V"? That could make the letters as part of a date. M V....
That would require more letters though.
So nvm LOL

I like these kinds of mysteries.

[edit on 29/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Maybe this is Better

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I hope some of these help.

Side again

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Nice find. I bet it is cool being able to dive and just plunder the ocean floor. I hope you figure out what it is!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Have you tried scratching it a bit? If it is silver, the color is "correct" for the patina silver forms over time (that dark grayish tint). the shape is not supporting the coin theory as coins of that time should be more "round", maybe part of an amulet? Especially if it was adorned with a small crystal like piece...

Just an idea.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ok, well what should I do with it? Is it worth going to a museum curator?

edit: Oh and it seems to be the same color and substance pretty deep. I didn't scratch it but where it had chipped of, was roughly 1/2 of a mm, and its only 3mm thick, and its that color pretty much through.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

After seeing the better images I have to withdraw my thought that it might be a piece of eight. The oval shape is too distinct - it is not worn. If you or someone you know has a jewelers loop you might trying checking it with that, you might make out a letter or something else. Very interesting mystery!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The amulet explanation some have offered sounds good. That is until I think about how it would have been used.
If it was to be worn, there are no holes in it to thread a string through. There are no obvious marks where it might have been wrapped with string to attach it somewhere either.
In short, I am still a bit perplexed.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It perplexes me too. It has changed my whole way of thinking, and lifestyle to some extent. Infact, it was part of my journey into this whole new realm of ATS.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
The amulet explanation some have offered sounds good. That is until I think about how it would have been used.
If it was to be worn, there are no holes in it to thread a string through. There are no obvious marks where it might have been wrapped with string to attach it somewhere either.
In short, I am still a bit perplexed.

Hi,

A strip of well worked hide would wrap around the amulet easily and conform to the shape on the sides. Knotted at the top of the amulet, the leather would then go on to tie around the back of the neck.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If this piece is old I would not scratch it or do tests that are destructive. Many museums have places where people can bring in items of interest for identification.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I wouldn't necessarily clean this. I just read about a nit who snipped off the strings from Hendrix's white guitar and tossed them, before scrubbing down the guitar, and resetting the action, after it hadn't seen the light of day since 1970. He did this in 1990. An absolute imbecile. Something like this restores a sense of caution in me.

Did the crystal look like a gem, as though it were set in a hole? Although the pictures are very good, I am curious about the centered hole or place where this crystal was set. I hope it wasn't something precious. Was it like a grain of sand, or much larger?? Maybe corrosion...and not a jewel. I'd feel terrible.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Looks like an old shim used for adjusting valve clearance on an overhead cam engine.

Harte

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

the crystal , actually looked like a diamond almost. it was really small. smaller than a poppy seed.

I am a little bummed I dropped it and the "crystal" fell out. Though I can't get held up over something like that.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Myendica]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

hmmm... I haven't heard that one before, and as much as I want it to be something old, I think I could handle it be something like you describe. But I eoulf have to see one of these shims.

I had some religious guy look at it and he thought it was a hickshaw ..?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I did think something along the lines of what you are saying about hide. The edges are distinct enough that perhaps it did have something around the edges to hold it on a necklace or something. I can picture like a rim of silver or something holding it in place.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I dunno you might have found something signifigant, however just from the pics it looks to me like your typical rock that has been worn down over many many years by water and silt.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Maybe you can find it. It has to be somewhere. Don't get hung up over it, but it can be found with a little backtracking. It is doubtful that anyone picked it up...where was the hard surface it hit upon...?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
Ok, well what should I do with it? Is it worth going to a museum curator?

edit: Oh and it seems to be the same color and substance pretty deep. I didn't scratch it but where it had chipped of, was roughly 1/2 of a mm, and its only 3mm thick, and its that color pretty much through.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Myendica]

Looks man made. Some museum curators will be a help, but I'd suggest going to your local dive society or local historical society (local museum.) I feel pretty sure someone will know what it is.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
reply to post by Harte

hmmm... I haven't heard that one before, and as much as I want it to be something old, I think I could handle it be something like you describe. But I eoulf have to see one of these shims.

You and me both. It struck me as similar to a shim, but I've never seen a valve shim (lifter shim) that was oval. Doesn't mean they don't exist though.

These are valve shims:

I had some religious guy look at it and he thought it was a hickshaw ..?

What's a hickshaw? You mean scrimshaw?

Harte

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join