It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

To Deny Ignorance

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" ...isn't it open to interpretation?



Does it mean knowing "truth" , as subjective as that is,

or trying to gain as much knowledge as possible on subjects?


Does it mean separating the wheat from the chaff, or attempting to "educate" the mis/ill/dis-informed?

Deny Ignorance....ignore it? Deny it exists? Pretend there is none?

Or, maybe seek knowledge with zero bias or preconceived prejudicial opinions? (Impossible, I know)

?




posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think it might mean to postulate the truth as far as the truth can be known and fight those who wish to suppress it by general consensus and debate.

That is what I think it stands for!



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
I think it might mean to postulate the truth as far as the truth can be known and fight those who wish to suppress it by general consensus and debate.

That is what I think it stands for!



Hmm... many say that "general consensus" is no proof of truth.


I'm kind of leaning towards the notion that "truth" is mostly perspective.



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
No, to deny ignorance is to seek or research the truth. It is to educate yourself or be educated. If you aren't seeking the truth, then you are embracing ignorance. For instance, to say, "Well CNN or FOX News said it, it must be true and anyone who says otherwise is absolutely wrong, so I'll ignore any evidence they have", is embracing ignorance. Whether you know the real truth or not, is irrelevant.

Just think of the word "ignore". To ignore.

Definition of ignore:


Main Entry: ig·nore
Pronunciation: \ig-ˈnȯr\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): ig·nored; ig·nor·ing
Etymology: obsolete ignore to be ignorant of, from French ignorer, from Latin ignorare, from ignarus ignorant, unknown, from in- + gnoscere, noscere to know — more at know
Source: www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of ignorance:


Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence
2 : unaware, uninformed

— ig·no·rant·ly adverb

— ig·no·rant·ness noun

synonyms ignorant, illiterate, unlettered, untutored, unlearned mean not having knowledge. ignorant may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing . illiterate applies to either an absolute or a relative inability to read and write . unlettered implies ignorance of the knowledge gained by reading . untutored may imply lack of schooling in the arts and ways of civilization . unlearned suggests ignorance of advanced subjects .
Source: www.merriam-webster.com...

If you remain uneducated on a particular issue, you are ignorant of the issue. If you ignore any other possibilities, you remain ignorant.

--airspoon









[edit on 29-7-2010 by airspoon]



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
No, to deny ignorance is to seek or research the truth. It is to educate yourself or be educated. If you aren't seeking the truth, then you are embracing ignorance. For instance, to say, "Well CNN or FOX News said it, it must be true and anyone who says otherwise is absolutely wrong, so I'll ignore any evidence they have", is embracing ignorance. Whether you know the real truth or not, is irrelevant.

Definition of ignorance:


Ignorance is where someone or something is uninformed. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same. The word "Ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware. ...
Source: Google Define

--airspoon





[edit on 29-7-2010 by airspoon]


Therefore, always seeking truth is admitting that no one really knows much of anything?



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by __rich__
 


Truth is perspective and perspective changes with rational and meticulous peer review , debate , and consensus.


If you want to get philosophical then truth means nothing as does any word or source as they are all interpreted and can be interpreted as anything. Whatever is your cup o' tea!



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by __rich__

Originally posted by airspoon
...
Definition of ignorance:


Ignorance is where someone or something is uninformed. This should not be confused with being unintelligent, as one's level of intelligence and level of education or general awareness are not the same. The word "Ignorant" is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware. ...
Source: Google Define

[edit on 29-7-2010 by airspoon]


Therefore, always seeking truth is admitting that no one really knows much of anything?


And so by admitting of really not knowing much of anything, admitting being unaware asnd so, ignorant


[edit on 29-7-2010 by Dumbass]



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
To "deny ignorance" is to deny its power over you, take the reigns and make it work for you instead of against you. In other words, transmute it into a tool for gaining awarness rather than it being a handicap and means of power over you.



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dumbass


And so by admitting of really not knowing much of anything, admitting being unaware asnd so, ignorant




But, wouldn't thinking you knew everything actually be ignorance of the truth which is that knowing things is really having an informed opinion?



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
To "deny ignorance" is to deny its power over you, take the reigns and make it work for you instead of against you. In other words, transmute it into a tool for gaining awarness rather than it being a handicap and means of power over you.


I like that view: ignorance as a tool to manipulate the masses?



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by __rich__
...ignorance as a tool to manipulate the masses?


What else? That's of course the darker side of it. The light side is one of discovery and enlightenment. So, in short, I'll say the site owners are attemping mental alchemy-- almost "textbook".



posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i am sorry, i don't remember where i heard this quote but it seems relevant to the topic at hand......

"Truth is whatever you want it to be! GODS on a holiday.....



posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
i am sorry, i don't remember where i heard this quote but it seems relevant to the topic at hand......

"Truth is whatever you want it to be! GODS on a holiday.....


Speaking of that , will the truth really set you free?




posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
To "deny ignorance" is to deny its power over you, take the reigns and make it work for you instead of against you. In other words, transmute it into a tool for gaining awarness rather than it being a handicap and means of power over you.

I don't understand that, unless if you want me to take the reigns of ignorance and make it work for me is some sort of pyramid selling, aka a con. To "deny ignorance" to me is purely an aesthetic term as we are all ignorant, or lacking in some degree. Gaining awareness of what you don't know can only come from others, and that includes trust in some belief system like sharing knowledge, modified by "basic instinct" another seemingly aesthetic term but is often "real" to ourselves.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by smurfy]



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
There is only one truth.
One truth that cannot be misinterpreted, or subject to bias.
The Only universal constant is
"Change"
Everything in the universe has, is, and will change.
From the sub atomic, to the universal macroscopic.
The only thing that doesn't change, is change itself.
A bit of a paradoxical conundrum.

Everything else is subject to interpretation, and because we are not omnipotent, there will always be a measure of ignorance involved.
As far as the human condition is concerned, we think we know everything anyways, and seem to resist "change".
Go figure.
LOL.

To Deny Ignorance, is to deny that there are things one might not know, which in and of itself is pretty darn ignorant if you ask me.

Acknowledge ignorance, and learn about that which you do not know.



posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
There is only one truth.
One truth that cannot be misinterpreted, or subject to bias.
The Only universal constant is
"Change"
Everything in the universe has, is, and will change.
From the sub atomic, to the universal macroscopic.
The only thing that doesn't change, is change itself.
A bit of a paradoxical conundrum.

Everything else is subject to interpretation, and because we are not omnipotent, there will always be a measure of ignorance involved.
As far as the human condition is concerned, we think we know everything anyways, and seem to resist "change".
Go figure.
LOL.

To Deny Ignorance, is to deny that there are things one might not know, which in and of itself is pretty darn ignorant if you ask me.

Acknowledge ignorance, and learn about that which you do not know.


I just said that, ...sort of



posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
I think it might mean to postulate the truth as far as the truth can be known and fight those who wish to suppress it by general consensus and debate.

That is what I think it stands for!

The bit that worries me most is general consensus, but often without much debate. Even an an idea, or notion or proposal can be stifled in the same manner here at ATS by posters. Even worse, is a debatable "truth" with precedence and evidence that is subject to attempts to suppress it with just plain rhetoric and blatant obfuscation. You have to ask why this should be so in any forum, and especially this forum, but it happens. To deny ignorance is but a fable esoterically speaking as there is always an unknown.



new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join