It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The language Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
A really good book.

www.languagepolice.com...

I checked it out from my library, but I was unable to finish it before it had to go back (it was a new book, limited to a non-renewable 14 day checkout).

The parts that I did finish were depressing enough.

did you know that test questions that deal with subjects like mountains or sea shores are not used because they migh make a student who does not live by a mountain or a seashore somehow feel inadequate?

Sheesh

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
are you kidding me???

jeez asking me such a question makes me want to GO to the mountain, not feel bad that i dont live near them.

i guess thats what makes me different i find a way to make it motivate me, not bring me down.

i guess they dont ask math questions about suzy and johnny have so many apples now as not everyone has apples huh? wouldnt want to offend the apple deprived!

this is nonsense! sorry if that offends those that have sense or lack sense. whatever!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

A story about peanuts was eliminated from one test, because "the reviewers apparently assumed that a fourth-grade student who was allergic to peanuts might get distracted if he or she encountered a test question that did not acknowledge the dangers of peanuts," and an "inspiring" story about a blind mountain climber was rejected because, "in the new meaning of bias, it is considered biased to acknowledge that lack of sight is a disability."

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
A really good book.

www.languagepolice.com...

I checked it out from my library, but I was unable to finish it before it had to go back (it was a new book, limited to a non-renewable 14 day checkout).

The parts that I did finish were depressing enough.

did you know that test questions that deal with subjects like mountains or sea shores are not used because they migh make a student who does not live by a mountain or a seashore somehow feel inadequate?

Sheesh

I put a hold on it. I'll give you the review when I finish reading it.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

California rejected a reading book because The Little Engine That Could was male.

WHAT!? thats insane what kind of world are we living in. Now that I thank about it, I've never seen a question that refered to anyone being fat, skinny, short, tall, ugly, pretty, and usually the "popular" kids are mean to the main character if he/she is an outcast. I go to a public school that is being censored
I'll look for this next time I'm at the library. Excellent find

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Great find, Howard, this looks like a really interesting book. I'll pick it up next time I'm out.
it's amazing how far this crap has gone, there's really no point in ridding books and the like, I don't see how anyone could be offended by pretty much all of the things that have been rejected.

� Women cannot be depicted as caregivers or doing
household chores.
� Men cannot be lawyers or doctors or plumbers.
They must be nurturing helpmates.
� Old people cannot be feeble or dependent; they
must jog or repair the roof.
� A story that is set in the mountains discriminates
against students from flatlands.
� Children cannot be shown as disobedient or in
conflict with adults.
� Cake cannot appear in a story because it is not
nutritious.

Look at this crap. In showing people as described here, it's totally misrepresenting. Women are caregivers and do household chores, why would anyone have a problem with them being shown doing such things. Maybe it could be said to be a problem if thats ALL they were shown as doing. They seem to be taking a step away from reality here.
Argh! This is just stupid!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
if this is really so, where are the septic (think) tanks that spew out this crap? I would think that if this had any meaningful agenda behind it it would need a brain to regulate it .

or do they just gather a bunch of the feminized to regulate this language however they please just because the added regulation of language gives more conrol regardless?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Sheesh

howard! we agree on something! one of the biggest problems in our north american society is making the best and brightest conform to the standards of the worst and dullest. 'fairness' and 'equity' have flipped into their opposites.
they have standards for everything. standards are seen as some kind of ideal benchmark, when in fact, they are setting a ceiling which cannot be passed.
i will extrapolate, and say that i think this goes beyond language and into MOST fields of study. as people become engrossed in the details of their field, they tend to lose sight of the big picture. i.e. the absent minded professor. ask an accountant where money comes from(it comes from people, for those of you who don't know. people ARE money). ask a biologist about hostile takeovers. ask a rocket scientist to recognise the body language of an official being offered a bribe. ask a news anchor anything. vaccuous bunch, those are.
i saw a show with alan alda, where he interviewed this guy at MIT who was building a wearable computer. it could be hooked into a network, and the screen(glasses, like a HUD), would bring up floor plans of the building, and identify people by their i.d. tags, bringing up information about them, like name, rank, employee number, etc.
the designer was clearly brilliant. if he was less myopic, he would know that he is building big brother police state technology.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm going to head over to my libary soon to check that out. Its disgusting seeing what oversenseitive lunatics have are doing to our society.

Mickey Mouse and Stuart Little (because mice, along with rats, roaches, snakes and lice, are considered to be upsetting to children).

Its nuts. With lunatics like that censoring our books we are truly becoming a 1984 mixed with Fharinite-451 society.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Got that book for my mom a while ago....I read some of it my self though....and I must say....some of the things they are banning or changeing is stupid....but some stuff I agree with and some stuff I don't....and I don't agree with most of it.....

But still I think banning the word Fellowship just be cause it's sexist is really stupid.....and Banning the The Little Engine That Could is also stupid....What next, they'll rerelese a book that has been out for 40+ some odd years and make the Engine pink? or have two books one with a blue Engine and one with a pink one? stupid.....just stupid.....

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is utterly ridiculous.

And they wonder why homeschooling is becoming so popular.

I have seen stories in the news where Tu-Pacs book of poetry is on the suggested summer reading list.

Mixing education and pop culture? Are they nuts?

And they are worried about male engine trains, moutnains, peanuts.......

Gr, when I have kids, Im educating them at home. Period!

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
F***CENSORSHIP

edit: sorry didnt know f*** was censored.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by Ashly]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ok i see all you guys are very pissed off at the
moment im 12 and im still in school and ive seen
evidence of this crap to!

So im gonna fight it im gonna swear(already do that!:lol

im gonna be Un P.C
Im gonna argue with the teacher (shes a *itch i already do)
Im gonna do the simon jester project

I no longer give a *hit about me education (i call it diseducation)
Im gonna learn at home!
Because the teacher ive got is an incompitent bi**h

That's better

top topics

join