It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pottery find leads to recreation of 9000-year-old beer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

July 21, 2010

An American brewery has recreated a 9000-year-old beer after analysing the insides of neolithic pottery found at a burial site in Henan province, in central China.

Chateau Jiahu, from the Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware, is brewed from wildflower honey, muscat grapes, barley malt, hawthorn fruit and chrysanthemums, and will go on sale in the US next month at $US13 ($A15) a bottle.

Dr Patrick McGovern, a biomolecular archaeologist at the University of Pennsylvania, came across the pottery shards on a trip to China 10 years ago.

The label for 9000-year-old beer.

www.theage.com.au...

For all you beer lovers out there something new to try, it just may be better then anything they are brewing today, I don't drink but just might try it becasue it's so unusual..

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Aug 1 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Outstanding find - to both you and them...it's wonderful to witness science and the past coming together. I may have to order some this...

Respect...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Finally!

I can't wait for this to happen for all pottery.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Last month:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It could be made with Dodo feces and it would still be better than Budweiser.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Great graphic, I am not sure that is a beer gut or he's PG

Either way it made me laugh!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

All I can say is the google and ATS search engine here sucks....

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Hmmm... It might be interesting just for novelty's sake. But when you think about it, which is likely to be better... a 9,000 year old beer that they were just starting to figure out how to make, or a beer that is the result of 9,000 years of experimentation and perfection?

Beer 3.1 beta, or Beer 7.1?

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Blue Shift]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Retro stuff IS fashionable at the moment.

The true 'old school' beer.

Wonder how it tastes

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
think i'l stick to good old wifebeater. if you could get it in the U.K id try it but i imagine it would cost a bit to export it espesially for it to taste like its 9000 years old lol

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
think i'l stick to good old wifebeater. if you could get it in the U.K id try it but i imagine it would cost a bit to export it espesially for it to taste like its 9000 years old lol

Agreed, it would more then likely take 9000 years to get there, never know they may set up world wide distributors...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Freaking awesome.

I know anchor brewery in San Fran made a brew which was supposed to be made with ancient sumerian methods. This will be something to check out.

Ninkasi Bottle
The hymn to the beer goddess Ninkasi served as our formula in this essay into Sumerian brewing techniques. Leading anthropologists now believe that beer, and not bread, was the reason nomadic hunters and gatherers settled and developed into agriculturists. This would mean beer was the catalyst for civilization!

www.anchorbrewing.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I remember Anchor Brewing Company, never tried it, it was pretty well known in the Bay Area when I was living in Berkeley from 88-2000.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
There is also a beer out there made with 45 million year old yeast.

News Article about the beer.
Homepage for the beer.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sporkmonster

Reminds me of some bad Sci-Fi movie plot.

Like The Stuff.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Interesting from a historical perspective but....

What we today understand as beer contains Hops, a main flavoring component of modern day beer originating from Europe.

The benefit of hops are that their bitterness offsets the sweetness of the beer creating it's balance and refreshing appeal.

These ancient recipes hadn't yet included hops. Which categorically makes this more of a Mead which was in essence a honey based vs barley based fermented beverage.

Hops weren't introduced until considerably later, during the middle ages by the Europeans.

Also, Golden Beer, or Pilsener wasn't introduced until the late 18th century by the Czechoslovakians for all beer prior to that was dark beer only and usually Top Fermented or an ALE.....vs many of today's Lager style beers which have a much cleaner finish.

Budweiser is lower in hop content, as well as Malt, in order to keep costs down which appeals to many Americans who do not care for Hoppy flavor or expensive beer....

Spoken from a true Bavarian. .....

[edit on 29-7-2010 by nh_ee]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

I am not a Barvarian but have spent a lot of time in Germany, not a drinker either but when in Germany I do drink beer from the tap and really like it, doesn't taste anything like American beer with the excpetion of Bitburger or Spaten which aren't too bad, but still not the same. In fact American beer tastes like water to me. My drink is Tonic with lime, no alcohol in it.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Oh good lord......This is one of the best finds in human history! Its like Jurassic Park but on a much more frat level. I will be looking for this beer in the near future. S&F

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'm not much of a beer drinker (I bloat up like the the Goodyear Blimp) but I will occasionally have a brewsky as long as it's cold and crisp.

However, I love using beer in cooking. It adds zest to sauces, stew, chili (especially chili), and pancake or waffle batter. Warning: if you use beer in your pancake batter, you'd better nail those flapjacks to the plate or they'll float away!

[edit on 1-8-2010 by starrmtn001]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
hmmm I wonder if this beer is where I live. I would have to see Speck's liquor store. They would have anything.

new topics

top topics

join