It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A religion an Atheist can subscribe to...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Buddhism. It requires you to believe nothing except that desire manifests suffering and that the path to achieving bliss is the eight-fold pathway. How cool is that? Just follow the prescription and the disease will be cured . The medicine is known to have positive effects and requires no irrational thought or actions from its practice! It also specifically condemns ANY act on ANY being that would cause suffering or death. Nice....

A good religion in my book!
Yeah the 4 noble truths! Forgot about them!
[edit on 29-7-2010 by IamBoon]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by IamBoon]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
My religion is truth, logic, reason, and empirical data.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
My atheist grandfather only can tolerate Buddhists. Only religion that's peaceful so he says. Absolutely hates the crazy radical Catholics. And philosophers messing with physics.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I like Buddhism and have learned a lot from reading about it over the years. I suppose if an atheist felt a need for a religion, it would be a good one to look into.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
No, but thank you for the offer. My beliefs are of simple science and i will stay like this forever.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by VicMT09]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
i think atheists would enjor buddhism as well,

it's not really a religion, more so just a philosophy

the zen buddhism and mixture of shinto in japan that i grew up around has a few particular interesting differences in details to your other school of buddhism, but for the most part you are correct, the main teaching is the four noble truths, and the eight-fold path

i think the reason it could be likeable would be it's logical sense...

take the four noble truths:

1. life is pain ( birth is painful, life is painful, death is painful )

2. pain is preceeded by desire ( worldly desire is the source of worldly pain)

3. the solution to pain is to end desire ( self explanatory, and logical )

4. the path to end desire is the eight-fold path

Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration."
( the logical solution )

heres the wiki if this is new to youwiki four noble truths

the reason i say an atheist would enjoy buddhism is so:

i would imagine the logical and self explanatory nature of buddhism would make a lot more sense to someone than " here's the way things are: a man exists named god, you can't see him and i can't prove he's there but just beleive me, everything else in the bible, it's true... JUST BELEIVE ME "

i'm not saying the bible is not true, i'm saying it can't be proven, whereas the fundamentals of buddhism can be, i would imagine the reason someone is atheist, is because they want things to be proven to them, or self evident somehow, buddhism offers itself in that way

( i'd like to add however there are parts of buddhism controversial to that conversation, such as the beleif of reincarnation, but in the traditional buddhism, reincarnation is not something taught, it is something mentioned and expected to be realized by the practitioner eventually, i can clarify that if anyone doesn't think it makes sense )
[edit on 7/29/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The closest I come to religion is my eternal faith in the rightness of heavy metal. \m/

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
A good religion in my book!

Why is it necessary to join any organization? Can't somebody just be a good person and not try to screw people over? I don't need to follow anybody or any specific batch of teachings. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you're nice to people they'll usually be nice to you back, and everybody benefits.

I don't need to get loaded down with a lot of conjecture about happens after I'm dead, whether I'll get reincarnated or go to Nirvana or Heaven or whatever.

Think for yourself.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Buddhism is not a religion - - it is a life philosophy.

Kind of along the lines of "power of positive thinking".

Right now I prefer: Spiritual Humanism

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Then Buddhism is good for you ! It is supported by all 3! Can u imagine?!??!?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VicMT09

Buddhism is of simple science and it is testable in practice and practicality. It is one thing to say you wouldn't care for it , but at least cite valid reasons why!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Exactly , everything in it that counts is verifiable and actually pure common sense. To deny so would be erroneous and ignorant the exact thing Atheists preach against!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

I find many of the Eastern Philosophies to be fascinating and very insightful... Particularly Taoism

As far as I'm aware, many consider Buddhism to be a philosophy and not religion.
As it's not....a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Religion is a life philosophy and Buddhism IS a religion. I do not know where you get off saying it isn't. Maybe look up the definition before stating what is and isn't . Buddhism has plenty of "crazy" ideas and philosophy but you do not even need to believe any of it to achieve it's goal.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Buddhism is considered a religion, and not just a philosphy.

If a person who is an athiest is against a religion should have it fall across their lap, then that's fine.

I don't think you will ever get somebody to subscribe to it though, who is a true atheist. That would defeat their purpose.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

They have many supernatural beings , the Buddha is one of them as are the Devas. The many supernatural realms , reincarnation, what doesn't qualify it as a religion?

Do you even know what define a religion? It is a lot broader than you think.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well, to the extent that an atheist is nothing but a person who notices a lack of evidence for deities, an atheist could be a Buddhist, though the relationship with Buddha can, according to the specific Buddhist, be sketchy.

Many atheist, not having evidence for deities do not feel the need to worship. However, I suppose many do have interests in some of the areas Buddhism covers. Often though, but not always, atheists' observance of a lack of deities carries over into a lack of evidence for spirits, spiritualism, enlightenment, "energy" and all that stuff. Not to say that one can't be interested in, delve into or achieve enlightenment while professing a lack of evidence for deities.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamBoon
reply to post by Annee

Religion is a life philosophy and Buddhism IS a religion. I do not know where you get off saying it isn't. Maybe look up the definition before stating what is and isn't . Buddhism has plenty of "crazy" ideas and philosophy but you do not even need to believe any of it to achieve it's goal.

I just pull it out of thin air - - didn't you know.

Is it a religion?

It is neither a religion in the sense in which that word is commonly understood, for it is not "a system of faith and worship owing any allegiance to a supernatural being."

www.buddhanet.net...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I was basically an atheist aboput two years ago. then I read What the buddha taught by Walpola Rāhula, and it basically blew my mind because it identified to they was i had always thought everything was rational and it did not ask me to beleive anything that did not make sense to me. My brain just clicked and suddenly there was many logical answers to questions I had been asking my whole life.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IamBoon

Or they could conform the conspiracy religion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join