It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


American to work in UK - anyone know about taxes??

page: 1

log in


posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:40 AM
I'm getting a lot of conflicting info on what taxes Americans pay while working for 1 to 2 years in the UK, keeping US citizenship.

I found 2001 Treaty on taxation but it's 39 pages long and so full of variables it's a little crazy! Gimme a few cups of coffee before I dive into that one!

Any out there in my (possible) situation or know someone who is?

The gist of what I've heard so far is that I'd pay full UK taxes and the US would offset what I payed over typical US taxes...

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:20 PM
Until Obama changes it, the first $87,000 (last I checked) is free of US taxes, if you stay out of the US 330 of 360 days. Make $90,000 and you're taxed as though you only made $3,000. Over that you're taxed, but it is offset by what you pay in the UK which will be way more than what the US taxes would be.

[edit on 7/29/2010 by wookiee]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:41 PM
You have two options I think, one will be better than the other, depending on your circumstance. Talk to an accountant about:

Foreign Income Exclusion - section 911


Foreign Tax Credit - section 902 limitations

[edit on 29-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:09 PM
Thank you both!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:58 AM
What sort of work will you be doing and is it possible that you can work through a UK agency?


new topics

top topics

log in