It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Fluctuations In The English Language

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hello Everyone,

I have noticed on more than one occasion that the majority of the people I speak too suddenly seem to have adopted various catch phrases or particular ways of emphasizing certain words.

Now these people do not live in the same geographical areas as each other and as such there isn't any way they would have picked up the traits from each other.

In particular I've noticed people placing particular emphasis on the word "Thank You" with it being said almost in a childish or baby like manner.

Another on I've picked up on is people saying "Bye Bye Bye Bye" when ending a conversation on the phone.

I'll admit this isn't a particular conspiracy as such but was simply wondering on peoples opinions on how people geographically apart start adopting similar speaking habits?

Cheers,

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

"Thankie for that". AAAAAAAARGGGGGH!

I've noticed a lot of grown-women adopting that in a cutesy way. I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with the proliferation of media; for example my friends and I will often pick up on comedy phrases, I remember when Brass Eye came out and we were all calling each other robo-plegic-wrongcocks - or The League Of Gentleman and everyone asks "Are you local?".

Mass media and web access.

Interesting topic.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I live in Northern China, CCTV ( Central China Television) Broadcasts to almost 3 Billion people in Asia and Eastern Europe. Their Channel 9 is the English language version of news in China, channel 9 has potential of almost 4 Billion people when USA and Europe as they broadcast Channel 9 worldwide.
linguistic mannerism's have the potential of being sent to most of the world at the same time through broadcast Media, that does not originate in the mother tongue region, in this case the USA or England.

It could be that in the near future China will influence the English language more than American Media.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I know what you mean, for example I'll admit that when watching certain television programs I'll pick up on a catchphrase used by someone and mention it in a jokey manner to my friends or family.

Corrin from Big Brother at the minute is a typical examples with her catchphrases of "Buzzing!" or " Do you love it???"

I just find it strange that I've noticed people from differing geographical areas using the same words/catchphrases in serious conversation although as you said a lot of it does probably come down to the media and the internet.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigenous equity

It would be pretty strange if Chinese mannerisms started to influence the English language in the future but as you said its more than possible. As mentioned by jokei above the internet and media probably do play a large part in the spreading of certain mannerisms and catchphrases but whats scary is the fact that members of the general population unwittingly pick up these catchphrases and use them in everyday conversation.

A little bit like unwittingly global subliminal media...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here in Switzerland we speak German, and one word is more and more misspelled and used by nearly everyone on the net.

It's the word "Einzige" - (single one)
And since a few years everybody writes "Einzigste" (like "single onest" or "more lingle one")

How can something that is one - became "more one" ?!

I can't believe it but:
lmgtfy.com... -> About 588,000 results ?!

Stupidity FTW?

[edit on 29-7-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I don't think I hear the words Thank You enough. I find that people take things and never consider the other person at all.

I have never been a "Thank you" card kind of person, but I constantly thank people when they do something for me or if they even consider what I am saying.

I do like to hear the words "Bub-bye", like how the stewardesses are always joked about saying. "Bub-bye", "Bub-bye" LOL I like it.

I do get a bit overwhelmed when a person has a difficult time expressing themselves. I also notice that here in my region of the World that children and young adults do not know how to respond to strangers. I get the oddest looks and the strangest reactions when I speak to strangers, especially in public.

I hear that in the largest, most condensed places on Earth that people do not even look each other in the eyes. I heard this about NYC. Looking at people in the eye is a form of engagement and they are not accustomed to it and take offense. I am a severe people watcher, they would hate me in NYC.

Personally, I find the English language massacred by the British, most times I can cope and get it but I would not survive as a whole until I could re-tune my ears at hearing the inflection and accents. It does amaze me that when other more heavily accented English speaking people sing, that they sing like we speak here in America (well some of us LOL).

I doubt I could cope well with Bostonians; but isn't it funny that all the ruling upper class of Massachusetts speak without the accent. I am sure this might be true in other eastern States as well. Maybe inflection and accents are a sign of social status as much as catch phrases are.

I am probably the worst person to comment on catch phrases because I really am rarely around people anymore. I do not watch much TV, and so I am limited to movies as my influencing media. If I was put into a crowd I would stick out like a sore thumb.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Now personally I find that even stranger than adopting a common saying or catchphrase! It's one thing to subconsciously adopt a phrase that you have heard through the media such as on the internet or TV but something entirely different to actually adopt a misspelling of a particular word.

Do you have any idea why people have started to misspell the word? Something to do with a TV program for example?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
If I was put into a crowd I would stick out like a sore thumb.

I wouldn't worry about it! It's good to be different, makes the world a more interesting place (well sometimes!)

I can honestly say that the two examples I mentioned in the OP haven't, to my knowledge, been on the Television, Internet or other form of media.

Even my girlfriend started to say "thank you" in that way (for those who are interested its said more like "fank quoo" I'm genuinely interested in how such a strange pronunciation can spread across the country, I spoke to a work colleague who lives miles and miles away from me but he also pronounced "thank you" in the same manner.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
i think it may stem back to early childhood, you learn to speak through copying, what really bugs me is text speak at times ill receive a message from someone that is full of it and i can't make heads nor tails of it. funny thing i always thought americans butchered the english language but then i realised media and an instant society is to blame nobody can be bothered to write or say something properly anymore hence all the LOL's and WTF's

edit for misspelling

[edit on 29/7/2010 by Anthony Massey]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Anthony Massey

Talking about text messages, one thing I can't stand is when people say they "texted" someone! I know it sounds petty but surely it should be "I text Bill last night" not "I texted Bill last night"

Another one, which I'm guilty of saying myself, is the term "PIN number". PIN stands for personal identification number so when someone says PIN number they are effectively saying personal identification number number

I'll admit everyone probably says that but its another example of commonly adopted bad English.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I can appriciate what you are saying .

I like to engage with strangers.

I also like to ambush strangers with random acts of kindness.
It blows some peoples minds .....

The setting for such impromptu interactions is crucially significant to the outcome...... rural street vs metropolitan area , night vs. day .....

============================================

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Thats weird, I always thought Americans were ruining my beloved English!!

My Brother spent time in Hawaii and people working on cash registers couldn't understand him and got very rude!!
It is funny how any accent fades into the distance once you start singing unless you add it on purpose.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Kurokage]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

...whats scary is the fact that members of the general population unwittingly pick up these catchphrases and use them in everyday conversation.

Its even scariest for me because 2 years ago i woked up a morning so filled to the limit by the crap presented on tv that i completely abandonned watching television, i don't have a tv in my house right now and i feel so good.

So when people uses expressions or talking like one of those brainless morrons starring in Big Brother i don't understand them or i don't get the jokes can you imagine how stupid they seem from my point of view.

scary you said...

A little bit like unwittingly global subliminal media...

For many years i am sooooo convinced they use mass media to dumb the population , dont forget they are at least 25 years ahead in technology, how easy ?

This is not normal that a so large amount of population are complete idiot barely able to sustain serious conversation or to process something more complicated than 1 + 1

About myself, you read my text and see all the grammatical errors , i know what you think but no i am not a idiot, im a french guy having big time writing in english

No seriously im fairly educated and can write a text in my own language with barely no faults, i can think by myself most of the time, i ( still ) can process complexe problems , i can see it when i act like an idiot and i can stop doing it.

So what's the problem ?

mind control + GMS food + chemtrails + disinformation campaign + fear campaign + fluoride / mercury water + candy like prescribed antidepressants + all i forgot

=

I feel pretty screwed

[edit on 29/7/2010 by B3lz3buth]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's even worse in the business world. It's gotten so ridiculous, that I've created a white board in my cube titled "Brave New Words." So far the list is as follows and contains phrases that I hear people use every day.

Reach out
Cadence
Silo
Paradigm
Ping
Synch
Laser Focus
Win-Win
Net-Net
Roadmap
Journey
Noodle
Cludgey
Leverage
Engage
Forward the deck
Under separate cover
Parking lot
Circle back
Runway
Level set
Deep dive
Guardrail to guardrail
Open the kimono

Everytime I hear someone use these buzz words and phrases, I have to concentrate on not vomiting. It's just so annoying that so many people in the corporate world are so devoid of substance that they have begun to rely on the currency of style over substance. As a friend of mine once said, "He's all sizzle and no steak."

Bryan

[edit on 29-7-2010 by belowcommonknowledge]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by belowcommonknowledge

Everytime I hear someone use these buzz words and phrases, I have to concentrate on not vomiting.

lol you seem crap filled to the limit just like me...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

These temporary usages of certain words and phrases pass around all the time and have for as long as I remember. I remember as a child the word 'Ace' then 'sound' then 'wicked' etc.

I haven't heard "bye bye bye bye" but have heard "trar, trar, trar, trar" said quickly in Brum. 'Fan queue' in a higher tone is very common as well.

Then there is the TV based "Want that one", "dont like it", "computer says no", "yeah but, no but" etc.

I am quite a fan of saying "Excellent" like My Burns.

I would guess cultural memes have always been around but pass around quicker now we are all more connected.

[edit on 29/7/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by belowcommonknowledge

Some more for you: 'synergy', 'empowering' and 'refactored'

I think the corporate words are quite handy as it saves time on working out who is stupid.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Now personally I find that even stranger than adopting a common saying or catchphrase! It's one thing to subconsciously adopt a phrase that you have heard through the media such as on the internet or TV but something entirely different to actually adopt a misspelling of a particular word.
Really? If I had a nickel for every time someone on ATS types "your" when they mean "you're", I would be a rich man many times over.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Personally, I find the English language massacred by the British

I hate how the French speak French too.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join