It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House proposal would ease FBI access to records of Internet activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

White House proposal would ease FBI access to records of Internet activity

www.washingtonpost.com

The Obama administration is seeking to make it easier for the FBI to compel companies to turn over records of an individual's Internet activity without a court order if agents deem the information relevant to a terrorism or intelligence investigation.

Government lawyers say this category of information includes the addresses to which an Internet user sends e-mail; the times and dates e-mail was sent and received; and possibly a user's browser history. It does not include, the lawyers hasten
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It's weird though isn't it?
The majority of scandals and crimes that were picked up via emails sent was crimes of Govt. officials and major lobbyists.

All of this would indicate the need for more transparency, you know the thing Obama promised? Instead he is treating the people like potential criminals when history shows it was them who commited the most crimes and spread the most lies.

But oh they said this:

It does not include, the lawyers hasten to point out, the "content" of e-mail or other Internet communication.

Ok.. phew
hey but wait..

The use of the national security letters to obtain personal data on Americans has prompted concern. The Justice Department issued 192,500 national security letters from 2003 to 2006, according to a 2008 inspector general report, which did not indicate how many were demands for Internet records. A 2007 IG report found numerous possible violations of FBI regulations, including the issuance of NSLs without having an approved investigation to justify the request. In two cases, the report found, agents used NSLs to request content information "not permitted by the [surveillance] statute."

They didn't respect the previous laws what makes you think they'll respect this one?

Or perhaps we should wait for the AZ Bill advocates to come here and tells us that if it's not written in the bill it's not going to happen

sorry didn't meant to change the topic but it's an important message whether it's the AZ bill or this, people need to stop thinking like that.
Stop thinking "it's not going to happen if it's not written", such people must have been living under a rock for the last 2 decades.
Even for this intrusion of one's privacy you must stay logical and remember history.

Now what about this

But the next clause specifies only four categories of basic subscriber data that the FBI may seek: name, address, length of service and toll billing records. There is no reference to electronic communication transactional records.

The officials said the transactional information at issue, which does not include Internet search queries, is the functional equivalent of telephone toll billing records, which the FBI can obtain without court authorization. Learning the e-mail addresses to which an Internet user sends messages, they said, is no different than obtaining a list of numbers called by a telephone user.

Thoughts ATS?

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
To note: "Intelligence Investigation" not "Intelligent Investigation".

No surprises though.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i'm sure all of this cracking down on the internet has a lot to do with sites like this and people like us

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
They will continue to take away our "freedoms" under the guise of "Looking for terrorists" as long as we keep letting them.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Franklin

We will continue to see our privacy, liberty, freedom, etc, taken away.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This president needs to go. He needs to resign. End of story.
Hell at this point, I would rather have Biden, and we all know how stupid he is, but compared to the president we have now, I dont think he can do any worse.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Never happen. Imagine the chutzpah of someone who claims he didnt know how to or get the promised job done but refuses to leave and give someone better qualified a shot at doing better.
THe military is our only hope, their job description is clear.
As for sites like this being a data collection center for creation of individual dissiers? D'uh! (hi there woody!)
I'm still working on reconsiling the fact that in the end, my own govt will be the one that kills me. You all will have to come to this realization sooner, or later, but you will be force to face it never the less.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by mordant1]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Wow I surprised they are asking and not just writing up an executive order. Perhaps they are trying a more polite diplomatic approach giving people a chance to voice their opinion before doing what they want.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ok, So why is it I can post a reply now, but couldnt before? It kept telling me that the thread was closed and I could not reply.
thats screwy

Edit, ok my bad sorry I must have tried to reply to the other thread. Didnt notice there was two of them. Sorry, can you delete this post?

[edit on 30-7-2010 by mrsdudara]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Here's what doesn't add up. Understandably, when attacked we strike back. The military, whose job is is to break things and kill bad guys goes in and does their thing. Now? Well now we're in year NINE. So we do a little nation building that will ultimately fail (see history book). Mean time, young guys go over there forced to fight with one hand behind their back. Might not it be easier just to close the borders. Toss the one's already here out on their asses. Don't answer, that's rhetorical.
So we get a steady stream of dead young fellows, americans, mind you, doesn't seem to phase the administration. Yet the FBI and other ABC agencies go hyperbolic to get us to surrender our freedoms, so they can "protect" us. Doesn't compute.
They're motive is not to "protect", but to collect information on you. To watch you. To identify "dissedents." That means guys who own a gun, any one buying gold (notice the new MSM attack on gold?), tea partiers, and anyone else who takes exception to a kenyan-born muslim who is three quarters of the way through his communist revolution..www.youtube.com...
By the way, watch this video, It'll make your spine crawl. Also, there's a related thread.www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by astrogolf

If you for the moment accept the concept of govt intended depopulation and subsequent govt confiscation of assets, everything adds up quite nicely, in fact perfectly.
HTH.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Assume "they" see everything and know everything you post on ATS, whatever.

And at the same time, don't be afraid to say what you really believe. Be diplomatic, don't make threats or talk trash -- but remember. You have a right to your opinion. And you have a right to stand up and express what you sincerely believe. This is the fundamental axiom of the Bill of Rights.

And, as the founding fathers knew, it goes even deeper. It is an inalienable right that all people are born with. And only you can give it up. You give it up through fear. Through "self-policing" and censoring your own thoughts, your own speach. Once they get you to do that, they have won because they have invaded your very core -- your own mind, your own intentionality.

Don't give in to fear. Don't give in to self-censorship. Better men and women than any of us have died to pass this precious gift to us. And now it's in our hands.

It's up to you. It's up to all of us.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Where are the flags and interest for this for this OP?!

Mods! This should be front page! Place it there while you can!
This all relates to us here on
ATS!
First the Obamanation makes it clear that he wants to stop the internet conspiracy chatter. Perhaps one of my posts violated this Obama mandate, and is the reason why I received 2 warnings for being a "Political Troller?
I am proud to wear that moniker (see my avatar).
Secondly, ALL of us who have apposed ANY of the previous or past administrations, can now be "a person of interest" for violating the Patriot Act.
This new obamanation, will provide the fuel to open each of our personnel internet vaults and so that TPTB can continue to burn away OUR freedom, and the Constitution of The USA.
Incarceration will be the next step.
And the tree of Freedom is going dry!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolf
That means guys who own a gun, any one buying gold (notice the new MSM attack on gold?), tea partiers, and anyone else who takes exception to a kenyan-born muslim who is three quarters of the way through his communist revolution..

You had me til here. Anyone who thinks this is about Obama needs to look again at the pattern.

Obama is the latest in a string of people pushing an agenda that runs counter to the public will. He is not the architect of it, and his name or fathers birthplace have nothing to do with the agenda he is promoting.

This is deeper than the Presidency. Biden will not save us. Sarah Palin will not save us. McCain would not have saved us. They are figureheads. They get put in place for their popularity, in hopes that their fan base will blindly support them while they push through an agenda that has been in the works for decades.

And we tend to do just that. No matter what they do, their fans will cheer and defend them, as if they were a football team or something.

The only thing different with Obama is that his fans are waking up much, much faster than fans of the last administration did. Maybe we have just hit critical mass, and the deception is just too big to be contained behind the illusion of democracy.

But partisanship has nothing to do with what is happening here, now. Obama is a traitor to the US and the voters. But so have the last several presidents been betraying us. Both parties no longer work for the people.

new topics

top topics

join