It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythical Twin Falchion Gryphon Swords?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
is anyone in this place an expert in sword info or heraldry knowledge?

Made in England with an alligator or lacoste symbol stamped on blades

Eagle head with ears is related to the mythical Gryphon correct?

Lions claws on handle with scales or feathers on arms represents?

Broadswords? Falchion?

london.craigslist.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Interesting swords. How big are they? and have you got a picture of the whole swords.

Looks like they would be worth a fair bit of money.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
appears to be a little over 2 feet, thanks for putting up pics

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

are you looking to sell them?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
just seeing who may know something

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Any sword or blade with something "stamped" into the blade, i would laugh at.
Stamping weakens the blade tremendously at the stamp point.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

just looking moreso for info related to symbology or history and possibly value, not physical longevity abilities or craftworthiness attributes pertaining to battle, although it is a light stamping and not discernable on one, but thanks for reply anyway

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i would move your search into this over to swordforum.com. folks there know what they're talking about, unlike this fool who thinks stamping a blade will ruin it. Japanese swordsmiths stamped their names in kanji into the tangs of their blades, as has nearly every legitimate swordmaker in europe since the dark ages, stamping the blade is usually done lightly and at a non-integral point, although, i agree, these blades look like crap. solid cast handles are generally not to be trusted, and the steel appears to be some kind of stainless, which is far too brittle and loses its edge too fast to be used in quality blades. As far as the heraldry, no idea. Haha, Griffindor from Harry Potter maybe? Check swordforum. they know their stuff.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Ancient_Fury

alright thanks, gooooooooo ducks!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
well shoot, swordforums know nuzzing, nuzzing I tell ya! anyone know the maker by the lacoste logo maybe?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I believe some further information is needed. I have a few questions to help identify these swords.

1) Could you post a picture of the entire blade? Ideally, with a yard stick or something to get an accurate measurement.

2) Clearly defined measurements of blade to pommel, and length of pommel.

3) Do the swords fit together?

4) How exactly did you come across the swords? Are you the owner, a potentional buyer, etc.?

5) What information can you give us on how you came to be aware of them?

Hopefully, we can provide some sort of input, but right now, all we have are pictures of the hilts.

Based on the very little information available, they appear to be replicas intended for show, nothing speciifc. I would even go so far as to guess that there is no specific meaning behind the designs other than it looks "pretty".

Edit:
6) Can you supply the link to your post on www.swordforum.com ? I am not finding anything there indicating you posted this information.

[edit on 2010/8/1 by TLomon]

top topics

join