It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I'm going on my diet!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Today's the day I'm on my diet. Mainly I'm eating fruits, veggies and now I'm cooking my store purchased meat. I'm also exercising starting today. Can someone give me tips for getting through urges. This is going to be difficult because I always eat fast food.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Hi R_R,

Well, as you know there are countless diets out there to try, but I'm happy to share mine with you for what it is worth. It has allowed me to drop seventy pounds over the last year.

In the morning when I wake up all I have is a large cup of coffee.
Around 1pm I make myself a very large fresh juice (in a masticating juicer) with ginger, celery, carrots, parsley, and red beets.

I only have one meal a day around 7-8pm and it usually consists of a big salad with only olive oil, a little vinegar, and a little salt.

When I get cravings during the day I'll eat some fruit, usually watermelon cause it fills me up and it's mostly water or a big dill pickle if I want something savory. And if I get really hungry I'll have a little cheese with melba toast. In fact melba toast from the store or Wasa crackers are a good snack all by themselves.

That's pretty much it. Once a week, usually Sunday, I'll have a reward meal with whatever I want no matter how decadent.

It's a little tough on the cravings when you get started but once the stomach and the metabolism gets used to it you start dropping pounds really fast. Like I said about seventy in one year, and that's with very little exercise for me as I have a knackered back.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

My now ex wife went on a diet, I will give you the good parts of what she did, she did loose a lot of weight, and she didn't do it the healthy way. Please be careful dieting, because it can become an obsession.

My ex started out with a goal weight, set one for yourself, use this as a rough guide. I say rough guide, because everyone is different, and everyone metabolizes differently.

Next, do not skip breakfast, breakfast actually jump starts your metabolism, make it a small but healthy meal, usually something quick but decent.

Keep a journal of the calories you intake.

www.acaloriecounter.com...

What I suggest is slowly reducing your caloric intake, but at no time ever decrease it below 1500 calories a day. If you have a active lifestyle don't reduce it to less than 1800 calories a day.

Find time to do some cardio nearly every day, 20 minutes a day 3 times a week minimum. Something that gets your heart pumping and you sweating is good, don't overdo it, just make sure that you get some exercise.

Now I will tell you the horror story...

My ex used to eat only about 300 calories a day, she documented everything on a pro ana blog.

She exercised often, she smoked, and she got to the point of anorexia/bulimia nervosa. Throughout this she seemed to act as if she was intoxicated. (later I discovered this was because the lack of calories protein and nutrients were robing her brain of vital sustenance that it needed)

Forget the scale, or if you insist on using the scale to measure your progress, remember, at some points there are things called plateaus. This is when for a while, you will not loose any weight, I am not entirely sure why this is, but I believe it's because your metabolism has to adjust to your current eating habits.

Do this slowly, over time you will become a healthier person, do it quickly and it can become a serious neurological disorder.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Start by getting the bad food out of your home. Temptation is the easiest way to fail.

Always remember that this is a work in progress, so don't get down on yourself if you act on an impulse and eat something bad. Time and determination are key.

Maintain focus on your goal (don't dwell on how far you have to go; rather, picture how pleased you will be when you reach your goal)

Note the triggers that create your urges and then try to avoid those triggers.

Don't be overly strict on yourself. Reward yourself with a free day from time to time, it helps tremendously with urges.

Look for support from family and friends, especially those that are dieting and exercising too.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I wish I could help you! What I see is that you've set an insurmountable task for yourself. The urges are the problem always, but yours will be more so because you're doing too much in one attempt.

Might I suggest you first get off the fast foods. Exercise only if your physical condition is such that it's comfortable. Success depends on doing this gently. You have to develop the mentality for such an undertaking. Your mindset has been, till now, that fast food is relevant. You must change that 180° now. Then, when real foods are the norm, take it a step higher to eating only fresh foods designed to detox your system. This will be painful no matter how well you do in the initial part of this "diet".

Full and permanent change will take a good while to achieve. Don't expect too much from yourself and don't punish yourself if you "fall". Just get back on your diet and consider it a strengthening of your will. Whatever you do, do NOT adopt an absolutist attitude because this will ensure failure in the earliest stages. Your changes have to occur on the most fundamental levels so it is essential that you are comfortable with those changes as you progress, in order to progress.

Remind yourself that the changes/sacrifices/pain/agony, etc., are all necessary because you love you. Be sure you know you're worth it. You are.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Hey buddy, ...

I've been studying nutrition/bodybuilding on and off for the last ten years or so, .... if you want to get shredded I can help you out.

I have alot of tips, tricks and strategy's depending on how much you have to lose, your body type, and lifestyle/energy requirements.

If you really want to get down, you can lose over 5lbs a week fairly easily.

... So, give me a little info, age, weight, bmi if u know it, ..... and how you spend an average day, .... and I'll give you my best answer.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Id like to give you a few tips that I found easy to deal with when I began to look to getting in better shape.

I first did a cleansing/detox of my body, I found a basic cleansing system that required 2 weeks, I bought if for $20.00 at my local health food store. This was easy to follow and wasn't harsh to my body.

This actually made it easier for me to detox my body from my basic want of caffeine (espresso, 4-6 shots a day), and also helped me to lose about 6 lbs by itself.

Moderation in moderation to me is KEY! I didn't keep myself from things, I acknowledge that certain foods were there and chose to ignore them and only eat of drink it if absolutely NOTHING else was available.

You can buy flax seeds in a powder form, which you can put some in a drink (juice) and about 2-3 spoons can feel like a meal in itself. I also made food, but always had left overs, if your going to make a healthy meal, make extra just in case you get hungry later, there's no need to cook, just reheat.

Also if you can get a diuretic, this will help for you to notice that you may be losing weight without the water weight, which can fool you.

Try to have something close by as a snack. I bought a bag of popcorn (kernels) and made it myself, so when I wanted a snack I had a zip-lock bag close by which I knew the contents of, and could control the salt and butter. Also, if you are like me and like salt and sugar, you can substitute your sugar with a smoothie, which you can also make with the flax seeds. Smoothies can be made earlier in the day or made in a medium sized batch and put into containers and you can only keep them to only substitute your need for sweets.

I hope these help, I also have recipes that will help, if you'd like I can post them for you, they are inexpensive, and delicious. Good luck on your journey, and don't forget, don't starve yourself, your body will think that its starving and keep the fat.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Start by getting the bad food out of your home. Temptation is the easiest way to fail.

^THIS

Also, don't severely restrict your caloric intake. Just eat when you're hungry and eat clean whole foods, avoiding processed and starchy carbohydrates.

Intermittent fasting is also a great weightloss and anti-aging tool, s-dog seems to have figured that out quickly.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Intermittent fasting is also a great weightloss and anti-aging tool ...

Indeed ... I do a ten day vegetable juice fast 4 times a year. It is a wonderful way to detoxify body and spirit, lose weight, and I highly recommend it. But please seek the council of a qualified doctor or nutritionist before undertaking this ... there is a proper way to go in and especially come out of a juice fast that if not adhered to can shock the system and negate all benefits.

I tried a water fast once but after three days the visions became a little too intense and the mind went places it wasn't prepared for and the body protested vigorously.
Maybe I'll try it again one day. *shrug*

Juice/no solids fast is just fine though for the body though.

new topics

top topics

join