It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gazan Fishermen Water Cannoned And Used As Target Practice By The Israeli Navy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
The Israeli navy has no communication with the fishermen. They just harrass them with machine gun fire and a water cannon. For a country to do this is criminal with no purpose other than harrassment. Not very professional!

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Makes you wonder how they would do with an equal stength enima
Oh wait,
No I don't wonder.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Look, I'm quick to jump on Israel's tail about ROE and other such instances (check my history).

The problem is that these fisherman were not being used as target practice. They were experiencing having warning shots fired at them. Same tactics our Navy or Coast Guard would use to deter a vessel (without engaging it).

Secondly, where is the beginning of this video? I know they may have just turned on the camera at that point, but there is no indication that these mean were not purposely baiting the Israeli gunships. There is no context given for this engagement.

The stern anti-Israeli rhetoric found on the hosting site does not lend this video any extra credibility either.

I know Israel has a loose ROE, I sincerely dislike the IDF's command, as well as the ruling Israeli government. Just giving the other side in all fairness.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
fishing is a crime? well, you can't have any of the prisoners escape, you have to corral them back to gaza. barack obama must be proud of "our greatest, best friends in the whole wide world"

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Dude, you're so full of crap. Warning shots would be alright I guess. But water cannons and still shooting about 20 to 25 feet away is straight harassment.

Let the Mexicans in TX do something like that to American fishermen and then post your reaction on here.

Has anybody stopped and thought that maybe we're the bad guys in this picture?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark VA84
Look, I'm quick to jump on Israel's tail about ROE and other such instances (check my history).

The problem is that these fisherman were not being used as target practice. They were experiencing having warning shots fired at them. Same tactics our Navy or Coast Guard would use to deter a vessel (without engaging it).

Secondly, where is the beginning of this video? I know they may have just turned on the camera at that point, but there is no indication that these mean were not purposely baiting the Israeli gunships. There is no context given for this engagement.

The stern anti-Israeli rhetoric found on the hosting site does not lend this video any extra credibility either.

I know Israel has a loose ROE, I sincerely dislike the IDF's command, as well as the ruling Israeli government. Just giving the other side in all fairness.

Affirmative - there's no context for this action and no "Rest of the story.." As Paul Harvey used to say.

They were warning those "fishing" boats off, notas the hysterics of the title "fishermen.. used as TARGET PRACTICE OMG!!!" screetches out to all too eager to accept minds.

Prove to me they weren't baiting the Israelis as a PR stunt for all the antisemites out there, going into restricted waters, or getting in the way naval exercises on purpose.

Damned those nasty Israelis! They should wait for a RPG from one of those boats before warning them off.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by mydarkpassenger]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by mydarkpassenger]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Tnewguy

I'm really not full of crap my friend. The proximity and grouping of the bursts that I saw are the exact same tactics we teach our own sailors and airmen to use. IF the Israeli's wanted to hit that vessel, they would have. It is obvious that the Israeli's had been warning off that vessel. When you see the cruiser pass at close proximity you can see the Israeli IDF seaman with the bullhorn, most likely demanding the vessel alter its course and/or leave the area.

Some context would go a very long distance in this situation. Were the Israeli's pursuing a fleeing fishing vessel, even after it showed its intentions of leaving? If so, then yes, the harassment is uncalled for. Were the vessels repeatedly ignoring commands to alter course and "flirting" with the Israeli's? If so, then the Israeli's showed more restraint than normal by not lighting that vessel up.

I am not pro-Israeli, I am pro intelligence. I am not insulting yours, but without further details one can only speculate.

I also find the Mexican reference out of context, I hope you will excuse my lack of a response to that particular section of your post.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Shark VA84

Your assumption is one that I may have made without knowing that the IDF does not allow the Gazans to fish their own waters. The link below will furthur explain the IDF's position.

B'Tselem's research indicates that, since the abduction of Cpl. Gilad Shalit, on 25 June 2006 , Israel has forbidden boats, including fishing boats, to sail off the Gaza coast. The prohibition has struck a severe blow to the fishing sector, which provides a livelihood for tens of thousands of residents of the Gaza Strip. Lacking other means of employment, and despite the Israeli navy's patrol of the coast and occasional shooting at Palestinian fishermen, some fishermen have risked their lives and violated the prohibition.

www.btselem.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

Thanks for the informative response. I knew that Israel had placed very stringent restrictions on vessels operating off the coast, however, I was unaware that ALL fishing had been banned off the Gaza coast.

I'm not trying to defend Israel here, their policies and ROE are just pathetic and inhumane. I am curious as to why the men on the boat would attempt to go fishing under these restrictions though. I am all for the uprising of repressed people, but knowing full well how the IDF operates, why in God's name would you attempt to go fishing?

I'm still guessing that they ignored IDF gunships and brought the camera along to show just how serious the Israeli's are (while attempting to create some anti-Israeli propaganda).

There are more effective ways to get your point across than risking getting blown out of the water. Who would have found the camera if the IDF decided to light that vessel up with mortars and cannons?

Let me reiterate one more time, I am NOT pro-Israel, and I believe that banning fishing off the coast is an unacceptable blow to the livelihood of humans in Gaza. It still goes against all common sense to load up your boat and go fishing anyway. I've trained with IDF "commando" units. The IDF as a whole does not mind shooting any and everybody who is not on-board with their agenda. The people of Gaza know this better than anyone, yet some would still act shocked when the IDF responds like this. As I said before, I am grateful and surprised that the IDF did not just blow that "fishing" vessel to pieces.

top topics

join