It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of ASBO's in the UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Kandinsky

I completly agree with you on the case of the old man dressing as a schoolgirl..... that obviously has sinister undertones I would have thought.... although he did look a little like M*x M**e*ey to those who pay attention to the news and thr sport of motor racing...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
You talk about these harsher punishments but you are forgetting that what also needs changing is how people are chosen for these punishments. There have been groups of teenagers given ASBOs in the past simply for not doing anything in particular. Just standing around and because they weren't going anywhere or doing anything other than spending time together, they are classed as behaving in an anti-social way. Also I have no problem with the kids that spend their evenings in the park completely stoned or do graffiti on the walls of alleys, because even though they are doing something they shouldn't be, they aren't bothering anyone.

However I do think that there does need to be harsher punishments for real criminals, hard drug dealers, muggers and the like. What really needs to be done is to narrow down the groups of people being targeted and then punish those still targeted more harshly.

-Cauch1

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I wonder in the USA would the equivalent be a 'restraining order' is is there some other term for an ASBO in the UK.

No, it's not the equivalent at all. I don't think we really have an equivalent (though I'm open to correction). Judges have a certain amount of discretion in sentencing and can sometimes hand out "odd" sentences as an alternative to jail time, or can place restrictions/conditions on the sentence. There's a couple of examples in this article.

A restraining order is meant to protect someone who is being threatened. Usually it says that the person cannot contact or be within a certain vicinity of the person who has been threatened.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Aye the good ole badge of honour, bless their feeble minds

I think it's like the studies of Burrhus Frederick Skinner once showed the time between punishment from the actual crime can be too long so the time of punishment/conviction means the perpetrator doesn't associate the crime with punishment but instead associates it to the punisher - judge, police, society etc.

Always told what they can't do rather than educating them on what the right things are to do.
(I guess here the blame shift of parents/teachers ensues, I'm not blaming here as I think this arguement is futile since the education system expects kids to fit in to it rigidly)

I once saw something about getting the person comitting the crime to face the victim of the crime, actually see the emotional factors which were affected. Of course this doesn't work in all crimes and of course punishment doesn't work for all people because everyone's an individual.

P.S I'm not advocating a Judge Dredd style society for the immediate punishment just that time does play a factor.

I wonder how much they spent implementing the ASBO system

Regards,

Panda

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluepanda

I once saw something about getting the person comitting the crime to face the victim of the crime, actually see the emotional factors which were affected. Of course this doesn't work in all crimes and of course punishment doesn't work for all people because everyone's an individual.

Panda

I had just volunteered for a Charity that focused on bringing young criminals face to face with the victims of their crime. It was meant to be very successful at stopping many reoffending. Last week I was told the service has been withdrawn due to the cuts. I hadn't even started the training

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Applying an ASBO is, in most cases, slamming the stable door after the horse has already left, ran into the road and been hit by a truck.

Ignoring the cases where it was mis-applied for a moment......

The reason it doesn't work as intended is that if you've raised somebody to their early teens without instilling any sense of societal obligation, or any fear of punishment, its too late. They already hold society in contempt beyond their own immediate group.

We've generated a society where kids can run amok out of site of their parents and they cannot be chastised by other adults in society. The police cannot fill the void left by a collapse in collective responsibility.

Adults wont act because they know the justice system works in perverse ways and its better to walk on by.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
An ASBO is basically the Brown Governments excuse of trying to free up the Police Resources by overlooking Individual Crimes to which the Offenders SHOULD have been sentenced for, and they deemed them in breach of their "ASBO" instead.

So you could have a shop window smashed in but the crime never being dealt with because the offender was already in violation of a ASBO term, which constitutes another "crime" in itself so the origional crime is overlooked in this favour to free up police resources investigating every crime that person commits.

I'm completely in favour with ASBO's being thrown out the window, people should be charged with each and every individual crime they commit regardless of whatever terms there on.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

He sure did! He also reminded me of Steptoe and Son in the pictures. I was belly-laughing at the pantomime comedy of the picture before I read the article. Possibly the only thing that saved him from tins of soup and straws was the fact he raised more pity than hatred.

Another black comedy incidence...

I think it was early 09 when a suicidal woman with a habit of jumping off motorway bridges got an ASBO banning her from motorway bridges! lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join