It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hebrew comes from Greek

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manouche
There is no English alphabet, it's called Latin alphabet.

It's commonly accepted that our Latin alphabet is derived from Ancient Latin which is derived from Ancient Greek which is derived from the Phoenician alphabet.
Phoenicia is actual Lebanon and bits of Israel and Syria.

Hebrew is derived from Phoenician through Aramaic.

And was derived along side of the language used by the ancient Greeks
In my humble opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
I watched a documentary on The History Channel a while back. The historian was making the claim that the Iraelites were actually the Hyksos who were ejected from Egypt. He stated that some of these Hyksos went east to the area which later became Greece. If his assertations are true, it is possible that Hebrew and Greek had a same origin.

That's pretty wild. But what's even more wild is that Hyksos sounds like a Greek word. Doesn't it? Imagine if the reason they went to Greece after leaving Egypt was actually because they were returning home.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
That's pretty wild. But what's even more wild is that Hyksos sounds like a Greek word. Doesn't it? Imagine if the reason they went to Greece after leaving Egypt was actually because they were returning home.

I could be wrong, but I think that is their Egyptian name. It meant foreigner, I think. Just going off of what I can remember. Anyway he said some went east and the rest went to ancient Canaan.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wise Man

Originally posted by Hellas

That is just ridiculous.. But if that makes you happy, so be it

Is that really funny?

You think Hebrew came from Greek... did you get your education from the back of a cereal box? You must be trolling.

Hebrew was kept through the line of Eber, Aramaic was kept from the line of Aram, and the Hebrew is older.

Your a few thousand years off from Cumae / Greek.

You don't do your nick name any justice...

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
That's pretty wild. But what's even more wild is that Hyksos sounds like a Greek word

I could be wrong, but I think that is their Egyptian name.

Compromise answer.
Would it not be the Greek attempt to pronounce the Egyptian name, just as English-speaking people have always mangled place-names in other languages?
That would be a sensible reason for the word to "sound Greek".

<< 1   >>

join