It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GET OFF the Internet! It's rotting your brain!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

We’re losing the ability to process and understand any information that’s not presented summarily.

FortAnthem,

But this is what I do
all day long, the internet is
my mental break & world check up.

In addition I had heard that video games
improve mental abilities even too growing new neurons.

I can agre with the OP quote though, but
there are a lack of category standards
this lends itself to the atomization
of data. Interpreting data to
make knowledge, there
is the question.

David Grouchy

[edit on 29-7-2010 by davidgrouchy]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The flip side to this is the internet may be what is preventing us from thoroughly snapping and devouring one another. Maybe all this carrier wave stuff is real and we are under attack by an outside force. Maybe they call it islamic terrorism to keep us from really freaking out. Perhaps the inter(net) is what is holding us from imploding and being destroyed to the core.

Go google NET and you will get a bunch of hits on technology and computers. ie network

The dictionary describes a net as:

a bag or other contrivance of strong thread or cord worked into an open, meshed fabric, for catching fish, birds, or other animals: a butterfly net.
a piece of meshed fabric designed to serve a specific purpose, as to divide a court in racket games or protect against insects: a tennis net; a mosquito net.
anything serving to catch or ensnare: a police net to trap the bank robber.

There was a thread here today about English words having code embedded in it.

good is God minus the o
Devil is evil minus the D
Evian water spelled backwards is Naive
etc...

type illuminati backwards and type it in as a URL and it will take you to the NSA's website

www.itanimulli.com

Whoever owns us definitely enjoys playing with us very much like a child does with their toys

[edit on 29-7-2010 by superluminal11]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
What, you're still here?

It's too late the internet already rotted my brain. For us deaf and mute, the internet allows us to speak our minds freely. As a matter of fact, the internet is now the new addiction, for me at least. Plus, it keeps kids busy and out of trouble from the streets and into another world lurking with dangers - spammers.

[edit on 2010-7-29 by pikypiky]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
There can be negativity in anything and everything although I certainly understand the point trying to be made. It reminds me to some degree that I no longer know many phone numbers as they're now in my phones memory instead of my own.

And I concur with ~Lucidity, the best answer is everything in moderation, although unfortunately I'm being a partial hypocrite here.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It may be bad for my brain, but i sure seem to learn alot from the internet.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
You folks just don't listen, do you?

I may have an almost full "Flag contribution level" bar but, it seems my "influence at ATS" bar must be running in the negative.

I'm suprised nobody has pointed out that this article proves that reading my posts makes people dumber.

You people are losing your touch.

Your brains must have been turned to jelly from spending too much time on the internet.

[edit on 7/29/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Perhaps you didn't notice that I was being sarcastic. Hence the
face that i made.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Ok firstly. This medium used is of the internet.
You have to bring into question what intellect is - though I find it highly important that children should read books and educate themselves, this is not the end argument, it is simply a tool used to find a way for yourself rather than being pushed into a 'way'.
The only harm I see in media, through use of the internet, the Tv and other related sources, is that it gives conflicting information or information used for a sole agenda. Not all companies are related to each other, but rather are together in one goal, for money and influence.
but if you see that as a demon there is also something wrong in all our thinking. Without modern society coming into play, we all from the beggining of time craved a certain ammount of control over our realities, therefore each other, in order to calm our own fears about our fading out of existence, and our desires not being met.
All people from poor to rich crave this control over their environments to block out bad stimuli. If you cannot handle it, get out of the kitchen.

A lot of books are all different, there are so many books on this earth that I can not say which one is of more value than the other, all things are of value even if they lack truth. It is how you use this value to create your own reality.... Some books are created by people who have lonely minds that want to influence others, some are based on a cult-agenda, and some people who claim to be truth-tellers are no such things whatsoever.
If our minds are becoming degenerated then you have to ask yourself what intelligence is, because is some case by bringing your 'point' to the table you are saying that your intellect is on a higher level than others. You are playing a nasty and childish game by telling people to get off the internet - it's irony, perhaps it teaches people, but if you are a hypocrite it teaches you nothing.
I am not going to get off the internet.
people are being brought into a world where they make sense of things based upon the status quo and what they only know, who they know, and the influence of authority figures. Because we are losing Gods, we find other Gods and create icons - we look for a Original Source just like God, in truth, in partnerships, in parental figures and this is all across the board.
If you want to find value the only value is yourself, as I have repeated many times, evolution tells you that supposed altruism is just another way of manipulating for your own ends. It is your genes telling you to keep going on. Somehow 'because' of this concept, we 'view' self interest as sinful or at least questionable, I believe this is a load of bull because if this is so, then there is nothing wrong with the natural order of things, it is in fact all self love which is true.
Truth comes from self love and self trust, you, just like I, are looking for an external source whether imaginary or not, to somehow calm some kind of motor in you that is driving you to say what you say.
There is another thing; if all culture is created from "madness", and all madness from manipulation and control whether via a direct result or not, then what quality is there left of culture? If nothing is truth, then would you give up a whole life of only knowing TV, what they say nature and evolution really is, entertainment of all kinds, whether through systems, leisure activities, poetry, literature, theatre, museums.
Would you burn all the books in the world to stop the traffic and pollution? Would you destroy your house, your income, your life, your business, your work, your everything in order to prove a point?
Would you stop communicating with people who crave freedom out of a principle? Would you leave them to their own devices and go on in self absorption, which is different from self love as you are reliant upon an ego which sees itself as seperate?

There is no such thing as intellgience. I use the word but maybe it should be 'insightful' instead.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
And perhaps you are insightful, without any positive or negative connotations.
But as there is no double irony, no real end result to this thread it is a redundant subject. If you are here and never to return then great. I am glad you enjoy spending time reading alone in the park.
If you are saying 'me-too', then this is plainly obvious and again doesn't prove anything. Maybe everything we are now just further seperates us from self examination, but the fact remains that, it takes a lot more skill to fight through something when you have no foundation whatsoever to start from.
Albeit there are teenagers on here who talk about the world in a way where it's like giving them tools they aren't ready to use, but as they started out as regular kids I give them more credit for at least trying. It is the fact that they are 'willing' to open up their consciousness. The problem is there may be no such process and we are all deluded. This doesn't scare me, I am just staring at the obvious.
There is no special meeting place for people on here to go, they never knew each other in the beggining, as etiquette and standards of living are different, and people's morals and the way they interact are different - asking for someone to 'join' your little meeting in the middle of the woods somewhere screams to most people 'cult'.
There is no way to get people out there like this to join together unless you do some excruiciating homework to deliver any goods whatsoever, and to be honest with you, I sometimes wonder what the goal of anything is.
The only way to learn is through realising your own delusion, or something that appeared to be legitimate at the time, or something you persuaded yourself to believe. What have all our parents told us?
You learn through mistakes.
You also learn through pain and mental suffering. You also learn from others mistakes, and you also learn through trust.
I have lost this subject actually. Perhaps there is something in the juice drink I am having now. Anti-depressants or what was it? Some chemical in the similar family to tranquilisers.
Or was it the pea-sized ammount of 'fluoride' toothpaste I had last night before I lost all memory of past events in the morning?
Was it, my vegetable mind that craves the internet and stimuli.
Monkeys like rotten fruit for the same reason we like alcohol.
All apes, and all monkeys crave violence, stimulation, and to put down others in order to feel power.

I am feeling powerful right now. I must do.
You must be feeling powerful as you have created a box. You now through your influence that others will open that box.
Ergo, you ahve become your own God.
Therefore you have just given yourself power.

It's a never-ending pattern of nature and humanity. I'd just ride with it. If we don't manage to save the planet then I'd just die a happy and gluttonous parading nunt, who enjoys the 'game', and the observed sensory reality where we get to play with others minds.
This is very close to the reality of now.
I am not advertising this - but the truth is we know deep down what our real agendas are. Its very rarely the self -loving need to save others. (self love used deliberately) It's more about, you are reacting like this due to what you've always been taught. We are the crowd, we are the herd, we cannot live without herd, therefore we are all sheep.
You are product of what' youve been taught.
do you or I know any better? Really?
No. It's too ingrained you, even as enlightened as you are, do not even know it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Reply to post by Tofind151

wow- your posts rotted my mind a little bit. pontificate much? how much time did you waste thinking and typing all that......just to put yourself into an 'im right- you're wrong' box?
the internet encourages malignant narcissism which americans seem to call 'freedom'........just like america to call prison 'freedom'.........
and this isn't about 'america' its about YOU

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I don't know about you, but I am learning off the internet, so if anything, it's making my brain stronger, I am getting my degree online.
Also, like everything in life it's how you use it, not the internet itself... If you use it for playing mind numbing games or social networking alone and not for positive things, yes it will rot your brain, if you have a good balance, then it will serve you well.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Reply to post by IandEye

just to clarify:
the knowledge or instruction we get from the internet is vapid and superficial- like saying because you went to a 1-hour physics lecture you know how to go to Mars.
also- there is the habit in this country to hide the ugly behind pretty words. especially- and I'm serious here- the word and concept of 'love'. to many people its as simple as 'making someone more into the image of what they should be' yes- conformity. the internet is the greatest equalizer ever. young and old rich and poor......yet nobody sees how self-defining it is and how removed from human reality it is.......

ITS NOT ROTTING YOUR BRAIN IT IS TURNING YOU INTO AN INFORMATION BANK!!!!!!

STAY HUMAN

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Things happened in groups and classifications.
As I have mentioned - we dislike bad stimuli or stimuli which confuses the well constructed borders in our mind.
Love and hate are descriptives used to describe branches from a 'feeling'. The use of the word, for whatever reason may be different.
I would say that the way we love is a cultural thing and biological thing rather than based upon true unity.

This has everything to do with the post.

Self love and self interest is ALL truth, it is just the way people view it, as a spiritual commodity, some kind of feel-good factor which is not truth. I can say this with a 100% certainty, as the only reality we know of is ourselves looking out and what could be projections of our self, literally. So therefore IF in concept I 'could' be something/someone else, and in some kind of reality I am everything, my self love which is a total self trust, that 'I am total reality' is not sinful, wrong, evil, strange, selfish - it is truth. The kind of self love we have on a daily basis is self absorption based on externalised ideas. This is unreality. Or better put, a secondary reality. It is still real.
But it is not truth.
How can something be truth? Well truth is not an end result. It is an ongoing thing - but if i am connected to all life, then there is only one truth. Not a pretty or better truth, just what is.

On my level of reality garbage is garbage. And I have opinions which conflict with the upper paragraph.... But I would not be able to say this all to you without use of the internet and all it's apparent evils. I can try in real life, but people working in supermarkets just want to get about their day. 'Can you get that off the top shelf please, yeah, that packet right there?' 'and by the way, on the subject of shelves - perspective, you know? Ever thought about that, what makes one dimension different from another? What really makes one shelf of reality different from another?'
sighs. yawns.
Some people are so unaware that to even start with basic principles leads them to think you are losing it, or are just thinking too much. This is a natural and understandable (only in some cases) reaction which leads me to believe you can not force or convert others.
Their beliefs are so strong that it IS reality to them and they will always think that.

Anyway back to you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

wow I just followed your backwards Illuminati link to NSA and the I started following their links

Anyway they are rated best employer by some criteria or another
and they haven't forgotten the kiddies!

NSA for Kids

they've really gone all out to recruit the kids??? I wonder how it's working ?

damn internet

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

There is no right or wrong. Perhaps you need to read it again. I would like to know what malignant narcissism actually is by the way, based on your truth.

I cannot keep going over the same subject if nobody gets it. It is about me, and you are actually agreeing with my arguement, so thankyou.
You are doing exactly what I had mentioned. You feel threatened by what seems to be a power trip but this is inevitable. You gotta get used to that. I crave power. You crave power. We all do. We are all so wrapped up in our own beliefs that we do NOT know the truth.
The only truth is self, but as my foundations of self have been, and always will be defined by someone else, because this is the relative reality, then I cannot really say whether I am outside this produced self.

I don't know why it's so hard for you to believe that. I don't mean to direct it entirely at you actually. I mean anyone. In order to be freed of human arrogance you have to proceed with it. Otherwise I will be more than dead I will not even bother to evolve. Am I supposed to be the image of correction and perfection in order not to rub people up the wrong way?
What point are you trying to prove? That your use of the internet is any better, or more 'safe'? What's this supposed to mean?
If you do not get through your own egotism, how the heck are you supposed to proceed anywhere?
Inside imaginary narccism, our responses on this thread are leaning towards this. Self involvement and ego are not bad if you understand the state you are in is a false reality.
Wake up.
It's not about the internet or my post at all. You are doing as you are protesting against. I for one will not feel guilty about my own 'dumbed down' state. This is putting values onto something.
I am a sheep, we're all sheep, and so what you going to do about it, sit behind a computer screen?
Come on now.
Maybe life is just a game. Do you get that? It's just a game. But what the hell, I am supposed to censor myself in order to give room to others. It's my playground as much as yours.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Op, if you decide to ditch the internet, may I have your ATS points?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The internet is not a substitute for experience. The internet provides information, much of it false. Without experience or critical thinking, the internet is hazardous to your mental and spiritual well being. There is no need to do a statistical survey to support this. Click on any random thread on ATS, then two or three random posts in that thread. The internet is one of the most powerful tools ever devised. It is also one of the most dangerous. Learn how to use it properly and put it safely away when you're done.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tofind151

Wow man, this thread really has you wound up!

I'll admit, I used humor and a catchy title to get people interested in this article. I thought it had some important things to say and deserved to be known here at ATS.

Call me a hypocrite if you will (I'm sure plenty of folks already do behind my back
) but, I'm addicted to the Internet and ATS and have no intention of leaving. Sorry Alxandro, you won't be getting my ATS points anytime soon.

I have noticed though some of the things the article mentions; my attention span has gone to crap over the past few months and I have trouble sitting down and reading something all the way through without getting distracted.

I won't be leaving anytime soon but, I certainly am worried about what effects the Internet is having on me.

[edit on 7/31/10 by FortAnthem]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I have to live my own junk in order to get through it. If I just sit back and be PC then I'm going to lack self honesty. And in this case you have to get through self bull in order to 'live' your truth etc.
I don't doubt there is a reason for everything and a reason why I say stuff, the same as every human being, but I am guessing this doesn't mean purpose. Just means you have an effect on things.

I could see through the thread but I am thinking that all forms of media come to the same effect. The sooner this planet ends the better. Not for the good of us, but for the good of mother earth.
I think something like ATS shouldn't be online. I think a radio station would be better, as that requires active listening skills.

Anyway I am talked out, and I cannot sell the self love thing anymore, because although I believe in it, getting 8 billion people to believe in it. Well, it's extremely far fetched. This site is a carousel like everything else lol

If I was angry I would use a lot more exclaimation marks. lol. It takes a lot to get me angry. Maybe we should all get off the internet and meet up and then talk about it? maybe that would solve the dilemma.
As I said I don't believe intellect is a tangible thing.
Maybe the next step forward is compassion.

Anyhoo's you guys take over I'm going to wander around.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tofind151
reply to post by IandEye

There is no right or wrong. Perhaps you need to read it again. I would like to know what malignant narcissism actually is by the way, based on your truth.

my defintion of narcissism:

I crave power. You crave power. We all do. We are all so wrapped up in our own beliefs that we do NOT know the truth.
The only truth is self, but as my foundations of self have been, and always will be defined by someone else, because this is the relative reality, then I cannot really say whether I am outside this produced self.

though i must say that the 'produced self' is the point of narcissistic behavior. survival wouldnt be much without it.

What point are you trying to prove? That your use of the internet is any better, or more 'safe'? What's this supposed to mean?
If you do not get through your own egotism, how the heck are you supposed to proceed anywhere?

well its the actual usage of the internet that is the discussion of this thread, not the levels of its mentally polluting distractions- like fake arguments amongst people with no education what they are arguing, just opinions.

Self involvement and ego are not bad if you understand the state you are in is a false reality.
Wake up.

yes i agree- and this also makes the ego and self-involvement illusions as well, agreed? only through patient kindness and helping others can we ever be free.

It's not about the internet or my post at all. You are doing as you are protesting against. I for one will not feel guilty about my own 'dumbed down' state. This is putting values onto something.
I am a sheep, we're all sheep, and so what you going to do about it, sit behind a computer screen?
Come on now.
Maybe life is just a game. Do you get that? It's just a game. But what the hell, I am supposed to censor myself in order to give room to others. It's my playground as much as yours.

i think you are a decent, aware person. however- life is not a game, nor a playground. we are not sheep and censorship has nothing to do with the multitasking which the internet is rewiring our brains to accomplish.
yes i am behind a computer screen now but that doesn't mean that i don't fight for freedom when im not- why make assumptions based on something you read off a screen one day? have you seen or read 1984?

life is not a game because there are no winners- everybody loses life at some point. so what is competition? the first to die? hmmmmm.
i would say that life (human life) is to break through the ego completely and to have a good death. sometimes the ego-lessons come through having kids or car trouble or whatever, but i think if we get caught up in the things of this world too much- concepts, information, data- we arent really living, just surviving til the next 'fix'. of course without those things we wouldn't have modern society, but thankfully not everyone thinks like me and there are still people trying to discover immortality......

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join