It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads, Ads, Everywhere The Ads!!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
abovetopsecret is a user contributed system, i'm not sure why they are getting paid and users do not earn anything, there are countless posts that bring up million page views per month can you imagine how much money it gets ! a forum does not guarantee any hard traffic that it needs to build a giant server farm.

some of the Earnings should be given to the poster for bring large amounts of traffic, doesn't that sound right ?

please don't tell me about how much bandwidth space etc, I'm a developer and i know all about these hosting business.

you can always install chrome browser and block the advertisements as you do not get paid, there simply is no reason why abovetopsecret should get paid while you post like a slave and earn them money.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
i support that,im a begginner in web site developing and i know all this "bandwith bills" are kinda exadurated when you make LOTS of money from ads.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
well just in case the mods missed it in the other similar post, i posted a screen shot of the full page ad

click here

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with optional ad-free subscriptions...it's guaranteed income, no matter how many times the user visits the page.

Im just a big opponent of web-ads because of how easy it is for people to infect your computer using it. ATS has already been an unwilling participant in someone's ploy a few months back, which you can read here

Im noticing a trend, however, that when these sorts of things are reported, it's always the same response from the administration/moderators:

"I use this site all the time, and this NEVER happens to me"

Well, then I guess im lying and making crap up and I edited my screen shots to prove some unforseen agenda (unforseen even by myself)

As i said in the beginning of this post - I'm all for websites making money off ads...but full page redirect ads seem totally uncalled for, and having ads sneak by that infect other peoples computers with malware?

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
reply to post by XyZeR

FYI i posted nothing that "violated" TAC ... i just showed people a way to browse this forum Ad-free, if any mod can explain to me why that got removed and is in violation of TAC i'dd love to hear.

Terms and Conditions of Membership for the AboveTopSecret.com Message Board(s)

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

That must be something you guys added then when i posted about it, because, why is it not in the T&C changelist

From the T&C page:
(These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Please refer to them often to stay up-to-date with our current board policies.)

October 12, 2007 Update -- English-Only condition added.

December 9, 2007 Update -- Changes references to AboveTopSecret.com, LLP to new parent company The Above Network, LLC.

September 8, 2008 -- Update to political baiting section.

February 19, 2009 -- Update to exclusive license.

February 26, 2009 -- Update to section about drug-related discussions.

March 8, 2009 -- Several minor revisions and verbiage adjustments.

March 12, 2009 -- Addition of narcotics subjects restriction.

May 18, 2009 -- Several minor refinements added.

June 14, 2009 -- Minor items add to the site legal information.

July 14, 2009 -- Attribution remedy added.

September 17, 2009 -- Modified "2) Behavior:" to include intolerance and bigotry.

January 07, 2010 -- Readded "URL Link" Restriction

July 20, 2010 -- Editorial Neutrality section revised and clarified

Nowhere in that list are add-blockers mentioned.

here is the T&C from when i joined this site (no mention of addblockers, because they didn't exist back then)

When did the info on addblockers get added to the T&C ? (right after my post about it ?)

Guess what, ATS can't make the decision on what plug ins people use or don't use in their browser (IMHO) to visit this site.

Besides: how would ATS "detect" that users are using adblock + plugins in the first place....

JAK

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XyZeR

Originally posted by XyZeR
That must be something you guys added then when i posted about it, because, why is it not in the T&C changelist

When did the info on addblockers get added to the T&C ? (right after my post about it ?)

Web archive does appear to have 4b recorded from Mar 16, 2006 here and, as you have probably noted, the T&C's notes date from October 12, 2007 so perhaps that is why there is no particular mention.

Do note though those edit notes appear directly under:

(These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Please refer to them often to stay up-to-date with our current board policies.)

I did not mean to come across as confrontational in my initial reply XyZeR, merely pointing out a matter I thought would help clear a particular confusion but reading my post I can see how it may have appeared curt. If that was the case I offer my apologies, it was never my intention.

[edit on 3/8/10 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
more about the TAC, eh?

What about the full page ad that nobody seems to know anything about?

Any updates there?

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
[Snip]

As for the full page ad, never experienced it, never browse to the site root, just go to the recent threads, thats what I do.

Mod Edit: Please see Simplified Terms and Conditions of Membership for the AboveTopSecret.com Message Board(s) section 4b). Thank you - Jak

[edit on 4/8/10 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarf I mentioned this on another thread, but can't find it. I am getting a full page ad for Zales Jewellers that I can't get out of other than refreshing the page. It is only while on ATS and after I click 'New posts' mainly. I ran virus scans, nothing. I now just saw a small ad for the same store on the site, so the full page thing comes from here. I don't mind ads here, you have to pay the bills, but it has no place to 'X' out of it or 'return to site'. It should have that.

edit on 6-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join