It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A method to possibly increase lifespan in Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (July 28, 2010) — Researchers watched two groups of mice, both nearing the end of a two-day fast. One group was quietly huddled together, but the other group was active and alert. The difference? The second set of mice had been engineered so their brains produced more SIRT1, a protein known to play a role in aging and longevity.

If we can enhance the function of the human hypothalamus by manipulating SIRT1, we could potentially overcome some health problems associated with aging," Imai says. "One example is anorexia of aging in which elderly people lose the drive to eat. It is possible that enhancing SIRT1 could alleviate behavioral problems like this."

Imai explains that the mice with increased brain SIRT1 have internal mechanisms that make them use energy more efficiently, which helps them move around in search of food even after a long fast. This increased energy-efficiency could help delay aging and extend lifespan.

They are currently waiting to actually see if said process DOES increase the life span in mice.

This sounds to me as if we are using natures traits and experimenting with them as our own.

I believe that this is the first of many steps that we have until our technological advancements make us immortal.

(If you aren't familiar with the different types of civilizations then here.)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
would be nice to know if it helped out the quality of life...

I would rather live for 100 years looking and feeling 20 verses 200 years looking and feeling...200 years old

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Imagine this is created the day after you die.

(But its a shame this thread hasn't gotten that much attention.
)

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I for one PRAY science NEVER finds a way for people to live over 100.
which you can already live to without science .
My word people immange a world were people could live say 200 years even?? are you out of your mind look at what these world leaders do now with a time of 40 to 60 years. would you really want congress emn to live 200 years??

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

The earth cannot withstand many people living on it too.

Did you know that for everyone all over the world to live like the people in the U.S. it would take 3 Earths?

I saw it on the history channels Modern Marvels.

new topics

top topics

join