It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past decade was warmest on record and 7 of 10 climate indicators are worsening: NOAA report

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If you believe in Global Warming then you MUST by default believe in Global Cooling or Ice ages. If you understand you must have a great warming before an Ice age then you understand that global warming will peak and the ice age will come.............right? Or do you think that the world will burn like an inferno forever? Not going to happen. I believe we have already hit that tipping point and the climate is already changing toward the cooling trend. Understanding this means that NOT everywhere will cool at the same time. Summers will still exist and some will be hell because the climate is changing rapidly. During the time of change there will be freak weather, hot where it should be cold, cold where it should be hot. These are signs that something bigger is coming.

Still no one has addressed the issue of the extreme high temps that occurred BEFORE our last major ice age. Obviously it happened WITHOUT the help of industrialization. The medieval warm period was warmer than it is today without industrialization then it was followed by a mini ice age.

[edit on 1-8-2010 by favouriteslave]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by favouriteslave
If you believe in Global Warming then you MUST by default believe in Global Cooling or Ice ages.

Indeed, due to changes in orbit and therefore northern hemisphere insolation, we have been experiencing global cooling for the last 4-5,000 years. However, this is not thought to be anywhere near enough to result in new ice sheets developing across N America, so no new Glacial is expected. It is odd though that the areas where we would expect any new ice sheets to develop are now more ice free than at any time in the last few thousand years. Allthough they had been increasing (as expected) until 150 years ago. I wonder why?

Still no one has addressed the issue of the extreme high temps that occurred BEFORE our last major ice age.

What extreme high temps?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Originally posted by Essan
Maybe we can't do anything about it. Maybe we, in the west, have no desire to doing anything about it. But that doesn't mean we should pretend it isn't happening.

What do you propose we do about it? I'd really like to hear a viable solution to the perceived threat.

Drastically cut back on the amount of electricity we waste every day?

Develop new methods of energy production?

Ban deforestation and work to rebuild rain forests?

And like I said, it was several months ago they were already declaring 2010 the hottest year ever or whatever. I remember seeing the thread. Whatever.

Yes it was predicted earlier this year that 2010 could end up the warmest on record. Some like myself felt this unlikely at the time. I'm not so sure now ....

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Essan]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The topic title is wrong, all 10 out of 10 indicators are worsening.

reply to post by mc_squared

IMO his reasoning is bad. He leaves out the most important option, which is taking action does not help, while the climate still changes. And in that case, you would want to invest in the consequences of global climate change. If you had just invested all available resources in preventing, just to find out it didn't work, you are screwed.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just a question to the IPCC believers

How old is the Earth ?

How far back do records go ?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Develop new methods of energy production?

I know I wish I had that triple 30" monitor array like Al Gore uses on his computer...

Ever hear of GenIV nuke power plants?
en.wikipedia.org...

Supreme safety, 100-300x the amount of energy yield, smaller footprint, use up existing nuclear waste & weapon stockpiles enough to power the world for generations, no need to enrich meaning no need to make weapons grade materials.

Current plants use about 2% of the energy content of ores, waste 98%. GenIV are slated to to use 98%.

And... nuke plants are almost a necessity to have much hope of ever having hydrogen fuel economies.

What do you think?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Sorry I shouldn't have used the term "extreme" I'm talking about all the warm temperatures that preceded the last mini ice age (medieval) and the major ice age over 10,000 ago. Ice core studies show that temps were and have been at many times higher than they are now...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join