It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past decade was warmest on record and 7 of 10 climate indicators are worsening: NOAA report

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Earth has been growing warmer for more than fifty years

The 2009 State of the Climate report released today draws on data for 10 key climate indicators that all point to the same finding: the scientific evidence that our world is warming is unmistakable. More than 300 scientists from 160 research groups in 48 countries contributed to the report, which confirms that the past decade was the warmest on record and that the Earth has been growing warmer over the last 50 years.

Based on comprehensive data from multiple sources, the report defines 10 measurable planet-wide features used to gauge global temperature changes. The relative movement of each of these indicators proves consistent with a warming world. Seven indicators are rising: air temperature over land, sea-surface temperature, air temperature over oceans, sea level, ocean heat, humidity and tropospheric temperature in the “active-weather” layer of the atmosphere closest to the Earth’s surface. Three indicators are declining: Arctic sea ice, glaciers and spring snow cover in the Northern hemisphere.

While year-to-year changes in temperature often reflect natural climatic variations such as El Niño/La Niña events, changes in average temperature from decade-to-decade reveal long-term trends such as global warming. Each of the last three decades has been much warmer than the decade before. At the time, the 1980s was the hottest decade on record. In the 1990s, every year was warmer than the average of the previous decade. The 2000s were warmer still.

“The temperature increase of one degree Fahrenheit over the past 50 years may seem small, but it has already altered our planet,” said Deke Arndt, co-editor of the report and chief of the Climate Monitoring Branch of NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center. “Glaciers and sea ice are melting, heavy rainfall is intensifying and heat waves are more common. And, as the new report tells us, there is now evidence that over 90 percent of warming over the past 50 years has gone into our ocean.”

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

Higher resolution

The article doesn't try to claim what is causing the warming, but it presents the evidence that it is, indeed occurring. There have always been cycles of warming and cooling in the world for it's entire existence. We haven't had to deal with the current high temperatures we are getting now though for a large portion of human existence.
Regardless of the cause we need to be prepared for the result: of less ice, higher oceans, more rain, more heat waves and more severe storms.

For the full 218 page report, here is the link: Full report

[edit on 28-7-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here is another image that's actually on the cover of the report showing the difference in ocean surface temperature between 2008 and 2009.

Larger image

Look at the differences especially in the Southern and Northern oceans.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
inb4naturalcycle...or whatever excuse most suits the person

Second line

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Yeah, I'm sure this thread is going to just get flooded with more useless, one-line "it's a natural cycle, teh emails proved the science was all a hoax" comments...

So before anyone wastes valuable cyber space repeating this automaton response for the 243869132617th time - watch this video first:

or READ this:

‘Global warming is part of a natural cycle’—This idea is one short step above appealing to magic
It's just a natural cycle
What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

and NO, not "all the planets in the Solar System are heating up too":

‘Mars and Pluto are warming too’—No they aren’t—and what if they were?
Global warming on other planets in the solar system

and NO it's NOT happening "because of the Sun"

Solar activity & climate: is the sun causing global warming?
What does Solar Cycle Length tell us about the sun's role in global warming?

Deny ignorance, not climate.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Funny how I just came back from a visit to Holy Island, and not a sign of sea level rising. Not even a teeny weeny itsy bitsy toty wee bit.

If the sea warms it has to rise ... simple physics.

No rise equals no warming .... simpeeels.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

True enough..I was recently in Tasmania, the most southern point and I didnt see any signs of sea level rise..All the shorelines look the same as they were years ago...

Remember Tassie is very close to antarctica....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Funny how I just came back from a visit to Holy Island, and not a sign of sea level rising. Not even a teeny weeny itsy bitsy toty wee bit.

You can eyeball a six millimeter rise? A centimeter? An inch? Most likely not.

You can tell the difference in shore line, high tides, low tides and such over the last fifty years at a glance?

That is pretty good.

But extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof if you are a debunker, and if not, it at least requires proof of some kind.

Because if, just if, you are wrong and misjudging, claiming nothing is happening is very nearly criminally negligent.

Crying fire when there is none is bad, but so it telling everyone to take their seats, there is no problem, when the theater is on fire.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Let's look at glaciers for a moment.

Grinnell glacier, Glacier National Park, USA, which has receded almost out of sight. Photographed by a park photographer in 1911 and by Gary Braasch in 2000. Estimates by US National Park Service scientist Dan Fagre are that all but a few of the 30 glaciers in this Northern Rocky Mountains park will be gone by mid-century.

Glacier Ururashraju, at about 15,000 feet in Cordillera Blanca of Peru. Photographed in 1986 by Peruvian glaciologist Alcides Ames, whose studies and direction allowed Gary Braasch to rephotograph it in 1999. Retreat of about 500 M. Ames studies confirms the very rapid deglaciation of the Cordillera Blanca, which is the most ice-covered mountain range in the tropics.

Perhaps the most dramatic glacier withdrawal has been in the Alps, where it has occured in full view of residents, tourists and scientists. This is a 1859 etching of the Rhone glacier in the Kanton of Valais, Switzerland, when the ice filled the valley right to the tiny crossroads of Gletsch. In 2001 the glacier was nearly out of sight, 2.5 km distant and 450 M higher. (Ciceri etching courtesy Stefan Wagner, from Uber die Furka [1999, Limburg a/d/ Lahn, Germany].)

The Pasterze, Austria's longest glacier, was about 2 kilometers longer in the 19th C. but is now completely out of sight from this overlook on the Grossglockner High Road. The Margaritzen-Strausee, a dammed artificial lake, now is in the place where the glacier terminus was in 1875. Measurements of the Pasterze began in 1889 and it has been pulling back the entire time, in approximate step with regional temperatures that have been increasing. The glacier is now about eight Km long and loses about 15 meters per year. However in 2003 the Pasterze decreased 30 meters in length and 6.5 meters in thickness. [1875 image, photographer unknown, is courtesy H. Slupetzky, from the University of Salzburg archives. Gary Braasch photo made Aug 14, 2004]

Glaciers in the Northwest United States have also been shrinking. Studies by the Climate Impacts Group at University of Washington show regional temperature has been 1.5° F warmer in the 20th century, with rising snow lines, decreasing mountain snowpack, and earlier spring runoff. These photos of Mt. Hood Oregon comparing late season snow and ice only 18 years apart indicate the problem: much less late summer ice from which the region gets water for irrigation, drinking, and fish habitat.

Images and data from: www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org...

There is little doubt from these images that the glaciers are melting. I don't see how anyone can argue they aren't. And if they are, then where is the water going? It might only be a gradual rise, but it is there. Look at coastline maps. Coastlines are receding. This isn't theory. It is fact. It is happening. The data in the above report confirms what these images show.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In my view there are 2 separate questions:

1. Is the Earth warming? (Or cooling)

2. If Earth is warming (Or cooling), is it due to human activity? ie CO2.

First they called it Global Warming, then it became Climate Change.
Climate is not static, it keeps changing all the time.

It seems some places are warming and some cooling.

Some of the most accurate weather forecasting is done by following solar activity.

At the end of the debate, all you need to do is follow the $$ MONEY $$
Green this, carbon that, ETS, Kyoto etc etc, all about reducing carbon and making a few very very rich.

Why isn't there as much protest in the world about other REAL issues, for eg. Nuclear waste, toxic chemicals etc...

There is as much info and disinfo in both PRO warming CO2 argument as their AGAINST.
And money ultimately swings science! People can be bought.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Is that the same for ALL glaciers????

I heard some were increasing in size...

Did you miss them ones???

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Right. Just like they declared 2010 to be the hottest year on record, after having the coldest winter 'ever', and the year wasn't even over yet! I'm in Florida and I can tell you without exception this is the coolest summer yet in 8 years.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It's not about individual cases for cold winters, nor is it about some glaciers expanding. It's about the overall trend.

People seem to deny climate change because they are afraid it will increase their taxes hugely. I don't think this is true at all, but if you must be careful to avoid what's known as 'green-wash'. Simply demand effective action:

Source: Projected Costs of Electricity, IEA, 2010.

Nuclear, wind, and maybe gas usually have acceptable prices and fight climate change...

[edit on 29/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Surface data shows warming because thermometers are placed near cities and suffer from the URBAN HEAT ISLAND EFFECT.

However, weather balloon data and satellite data (Litzen at MIT) show that temperatures have been cooling especially during the recent prolonged solar minimum.

Now NASA is telling us to beware of record solar activity in 2012 and a disruption of the the Earths magnetic field by alignment with the galactic plane producing a solar storm Carrington Event. Basically a Carrington Event would be a solar storm that would act like a high atmosphere nuclear explosion producing an EMP which would fry every transistor in North America and send us back into the stone age.

First, because of the long solar minimum the sun will not be at solar maximum n 2012. Second, the who thing about the Earth aligning in 2012 with the axis of the galaxy on the winter solstice of 2012 makes no sense because the period of the cycle of the precession of the equinoxes is 26,000 years. So, I dont see how the alignment of the Earth with the galactic plane in winter 2011 could be statistically different that the alignment in 2012.

If anything happens like a Carrington Event in 2012, it was because the globalist generated an EMP and are blaming it on the Sun, or they use HAARP to affect the Earths magnetic field just as a random X-Class flare stikes the Earth thus weakening our magnetic shielding from what should be a benign event.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
please disregard. I don't want to get too far into global warming.

[edit on 29/7/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Hello All

I find the whole Global Warming arguement a BIG distraction from Human Responsibility......

I'm always going on about how people should be more responsible and I think this report should Indicate to all that the Human Population needs to get it's act together, wether it costs us or not..

The Most Convincing Arguement / point of view on this subject is in a couple of Videos I have linked below..

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

SORRY - i can't embed these but if you watch these and then ask yourself the question about Global warming I think 99% will agree the Conclusion is Undeniable...

Apologies if you have seen these before, if not these are definately worth watching !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I do believe man is having an effect on the climate, the problem is we are can't really do anything about it. It's too late, we have gone too far. we have more important things to be concerned with like saving our economies and drilling for more oil and burning more coal to keep the system going. China and India are now starting their industrial revolutions and are not going to listen to westerners telling them not build as many power stations.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
reply to post by webpirate

Is that the same for ALL glaciers????

I heard some were increasing in size...

Did you miss them ones???

You are indeed correct. there are some glaciers that are reportedly increasing in size. In the Himalayas, there has been some reported increase in size. Also Norway and New Zealand have had some increase in size: environmentallegal.blogs.com.... The fact remains though that as a whole, glaciers are retreating across the globe.

Larger Image

This map of mountain glacier mass balance changes since 1970 shows thinning in yellow and red, and thickening in blue.

I am not in any way in this thread attempting to predict a cause to the warming, and reduction in glaciers. But it is happening. It is a documented scientific fact that cycles of cooling and warming have occurred throughout the history of the earth.

In addition to retreating, those remaining, on average are having a noted reduction in their thickness.

Larger Image

Global glacial mass balance in the last fifty years, reported to the WGMS and NSIDC. The increasing downward trend in the late 1980s is symptomatic of the increased rate and number of retreating glaciers.
Retreating Glaciers

As for where someone noted above that thermometers are placed in cities with urban heat, NOAA's report, as I noted in the OP, shows the indicators of warming as:

Seven indicators are rising: air temperature over land, sea-surface temperature, air temperature over oceans, sea level, ocean heat, humidity and tropospheric temperature in the “active-weather” layer of the atmosphere closest to the Earth’s surface. Three indicators are declining: Arctic sea ice, glaciers and spring snow cover in the Northern hemisphere.

Air temps over oceans, ocean water temps, tropospheric temperatures, and humidity indicators are no where near cities.

I am not out looking for ManBearPig. I'm just presenting the evidence as found.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Those are great videos, and allow me to embed them for you:

But I don't understand how you can say that Global Warming is "a big distraction from human responsibility".

Global Warming is all about human responsibility. The only people making it into a distraction are the denialists trying to claim Global Warming is all about "Al Gore tryin to tax muh air that I breathe" and so forth.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

mc_squared

Firstly, thankyou for embedding those videos... They are Very entertaining and informative and probably deserve a THREAD of their own...

The bit i said about "a big distraction from human responsibility" was really meant to be relating to the arguement about is global warming real or not??
In my opinion it is but I see lots of news stories, Scientist's being ridiculed etc etc and when you watch those videos you realise that the arguement about wether global warming is true or not melts away and leaves you in the knowledge that we MUST ACT regardless..

Cheers again for the help

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicenico

LOL .. yea yea .. I'm a criminal.

Instead of attacking anyone who doesn't buy into your blinkered view why dont you explain where the water has gone.

Your saying the sea level has risen ..... ok then. Go on tell us how much has it risen. I don't see it has risen in 50 years where I stay. So you go ahead and tell us how much it has risen in fifty years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join