It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What your phone app doesn't say: It's watching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Aut_YVjVCeXODhrqoisl2gKs0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'Qwc2t1NzBtBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwNzI4L3VzX3RlY190ZW NoYml0X2FwcHNfcHJpdmFjeQRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEwBHBvcwM3BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDd2hhdHlvdXJwaG9u

Your smart phone applications are watching you — much more closely than you might like......Lookout Inc., a mobile-phone security firm, scanned nearly 300,000 free applications for Apple Inc.'s iPhone and phones built around Google Inc.'s Android software. It found that many of them secretly pull sensitive data off users' phones and ship them off to third parties without notification........The data can include full details about users' contacts, their pictures, text messages and Internet and search histories. The third parties can include advertisers and companies that analyze data on users.

So be careful what apps you download. Some can send personal and sensitive info to 3rd parties. I'm betting there are a ton pf people that wouldn't want someone else , be it a company or not, looking at their photos or texts.

This just seemed right up ATS alley ... with the conspiracy angle and all.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Since cellulars (and landlines?) are routed through an israeli company, I assumed that all phone talk was surrendered by agreement. There's narus, omnivore et al working ceaselessly to report to the mock government, that calls you a terrorist if you don't agree with the 96% owned jewish media, going through your keyboard as well....

Now someone wants to dish out the data for marketing purposes?

Mmm. Maybe if you work real hard to buy a lot of stuff, the gov will let some of your treasonous chatter slide?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I always knew they're watching me

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Might want to use the [url=][/url] BB code for that link there.

Anyway, that's basically the definition of a type of malware, in't it?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'd like to add something that I bet a lot of smart phone users don't know is that these phones record digital information that is attached to any picture taken with the phone. Iphones are probably the one of the worst. Firefox users can download free add-ons that will allow you to view the time, the date, and even the gps location the photo was taken. A lot of the time you can even see if the photo has been through photoshop or paint and been modified.

Don't think you're in the clear either if you're using a digital camera only, many of these record the same details as well.

Something to think about for those of you posting pictures of yourselves or family online. There are "EXIF" scrubbers out there that can remove the information stored in these digital files though, so you might want to find one.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I choose not to use a mobile phone (cell phone) so it doesn't affect me

But more to the point - who are these people who spend their lives allegedly monitoring our phone calls, our computers, etc. ?

Do they exist ?

With the average person making umpteen mind-numbing calls each day (each hour ?) and with the content being of interest to only their tiny mind, how would the masterminds ensure their alleged army of listeners didn't suffer burn-out after one day ? I mean, have you heard the emptiness of most of the calls made ? Have you studied those who make them -- such as the 'Seeking 5 seconds of Fame' types who stroll along supermarket aisles, pretending to be unaware of their CAPTIVE audience as they discuss whether or not to buy the satay or soy sauce ? LOL

If there DO exist armies of people crouched over headsets as they listen to the utter humdrum and garbage which passes for the majority of mobile phone calls --- then we need only find out where the world's largest insane-asylums are located. Find the asylums -- and the phone-monitoring barracks have to be close by. Hand in hand they must be

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
I choose not to use a mobile phone (cell phone) so it doesn't affect me

But more to the point - who are these people who spend their lives allegedly monitoring our phone calls, our computers, etc. ?

Do they exist ?

With the average person making umpteen mind-numbing calls each day (each hour ?) and with the content being of interest to only their tiny mind, how would the masterminds ensure their alleged army of listeners didn't suffer burn-out after one day ? I mean, have you heard the emptiness of most of the calls made ? Have you studied those who make them -- such as the 'Seeking 5 seconds of Fame' types who stroll along supermarket aisles, pretending to be unaware of their CAPTIVE audience as they discuss whether or not to buy the satay or soy sauce ? LOL

If there DO exist armies of people crouched over headsets as they listen to the utter humdrum and garbage which passes for the majority of mobile phone calls --- then we need only find out where the world's largest insane-asylums are located. Find the asylums -- and the phone-monitoring barracks have to be close by. Hand in hand they must be

yup...you are so right...i have always advocated having a couple of gigs of moderately with 128 bit AES ,encrypted files called secret information on your hard drive or something similar so they can try downloading and hacking into it...only to find it is a collection of mind numbing conversations cell phone conversations plus some text and pdf files and pictures from mytrailerpark.com... of of gaptoothed ,squint eyed rednecks.

just imagine having to decode all the crap..print it, analyze it only to find it is total crap.

best defence against the endless pointless snooping.give them to something to bite on.keep them busy.

turn their brains into mushy soup...

best post ever.

mytrailerpark.com...

[edit on 9-8-2010 by nobodysavedme]

[edit on 9-8-2010 by nobodysavedme]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Worst summer job ever I'm glad all those interns get to listen to teens like totally gush over how totally hot so and so is. Like text messages yes I get that they are stored just hit control F and search a phrase. Same with emails and digital stuff but your phone calls yeaaaaah I'm guessing they don't monitor that very closely if at all.

top topics

join