It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Details of 100m Facebook users collected and published

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
Oh didn't you know? The police can find your exact address just by browsing through that list!

According to one confused poster anyway

HELLO people the police could find your exact address before facebook or the internet was ever thought of.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Facebook are correct.

The privacy settings are quite simple and easy to use, so I don't know why some people find them confusing. Those who haven't set any of their information to private can't complain about this. It serves them right in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You pay like £4 a month which is hardly an amount to be concerned about

But yes, downloading as a free user means that you are limited to a certain speed.

With torrents you have to download certain software - Which, just like the premise of this thread, can obtain your details with out you knowing

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
If you put it out there it is fair game.

How simple is this concept?

I am pretty sure that concept spawned the entire New Age movement

You are correct though. I never did understand why people will freely fill out forms without thinking where the data goes.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Facebook has changed their security and privacy settings 4 times in the last year, and each time they set every ones settings back to "default" which means almost everything is visible to every one. And when they changed it, they didn't bother to notify the users, that they changed it, till about 2 months later each time.
Luckily most times, me or one of my friends would see something in the news about it, and post it to let everyone know to go check their privacy and security settings.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

I imagine it's to sell the info to spammers. Who else would buy it?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

This is why i don't have a facebook account, or twitter or bebo or any of that other nonsense. The simple fact is that people are making it easier and eaiser for their ID to be stolen. Not only that but some people are exposing themselves to trobule in future. Imagine someone harbours really racist views when they're 18 and posts such things on their account.

Well like many young people they may grow out of such views but it's still there, for everyone to see in future, including prospective employers.

Stay anonymous online, it's the sensible thing to do.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lizzyhock
Facebook has changed their security and privacy settings 4 times in the last year, and each time they set every ones settings back to "default" which means almost everything is visible to every one. And when they changed it, they didn't bother to notify the users, that they changed it, till about 2 months later each time.
If that's true, then that kind of annihilates arguments like this one:

Originally posted by Discotech
If you know how to use the security settings in Facebook then your profile is quite safe & nothing to panic over. I've got it set to what I want to reveal and it works exactly how I have set it.

I mean, who is going to re-check their security settings constantly just to see if it's been reset to default?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
big surprise, could have seen this coming a mile away

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Yup, no guarantee that the settings are going to stay set if they sometimes do what has been described.

I can imagine people coming back from holiday or have been off line for a period of time for a vast number of possible reasons, only to find all their data has been seen, read, copied, chewed up and spat out by everyone..

If FB has the ability to reset all settings at the press of a button, what else can they do?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
WOW what I want to know is what is the info for? SO they have my email address, so they know my hometown. Whatcha gunna do with it? Nothing. That would be my guess.

you would be surprised to know what somone could do with a single email address

[edit on 29-7-2010 by icemax2005]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It's simple.. you don't put anything about yourself on a social networking site that you wish to remain private.

That sums up my opinion, too.

If you make your private life public, you shouldn't complain about the public knowing about it.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Information on these sites can still be accessed even after an account is deleted!! Any information you leave on a deleted account is still available..sooo...

If you have an account at a social site and decide to delete it, do NOT just close the account.

Go through each and every page of your profile deleting all information, pictures too. Be sure and save your changes, leaving a completely blank profile.

Then delete your account.

Edit...Don't forget your friend list!!

[edit on 30-7-2010 by SheaWolf]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This is funny. I post something on the internet on some public site and I'm worried about that info which I wrote not being safe..

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Fortunately I never had a Facebook account but I had a shocking experience trying to sign up for Twitter when they asked for.....

MY PRIVATE E_MAIL ACCOUNT PASSWORD!!!! (yes I'm shouting with all caps because I'm shocked)

I finally figured out a way to sign up without giving them that password, but I'll bet some people give it to them.
Twitter may not make it public but we've all seen hackers get into private systems before so why increase your risk by giving out private information?

lolwtf? When was Twitter asking that?

If hackers wanted access to your e-mail then they'd go straight for your e-mail host.

Originally posted by Byrd
Same here. My kids are on Facebook and I don't post anything there that I wouldn't want an employer or my kids to read. Same with my LJ accounts.

And I have several different aliases and a very common (real) name.

But now you posted this on ATS and now your employer will know that you have something to hide.

[edit on 30/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
lolwtf? When was Twitter asking that?
It was a few years ago, an astronaut said he would be sending tweets from the space shuttle and I wanted to read them. The idea of getting your e-mail account password is they would go into your e-mail account contacts and automatically set up your twitter contacts from that list or something like that. Here's a Yahoo answers page explaining it:

Question About Twitter. Why Do They Need My Email Password?

As far as I know the best answer is correct, but it wasn't that easy to figure out how to sign up without giving them that password, it wasn't quite as simple as unchecking a box to opt out or something like that, it took some effort to figure it out!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
It's simple.. you don't put anything about yourself on a social networking site that you wish to remain private.

That sums up my opinion, too.

If you make your private life public, you shouldn't complain about the public knowing about it.
That is SOOO true! I've looked at this list of 100m facebook users and it's not so damning, but there are worse things that can result from using facebook that highlight exactly what IRM just said:

There's an app you can embed on your website to automatically display facebook search results which might be embarrassing to some people:

Embed Facebook Searches Anywhere

I wonder if Donny Lavean ever found out who it was???

I don't know if that's the funniest thing I ever read but it's close!

Originally posted by icemax2005
Or a list of e-mail accounts:

Rogue Marketers Can Mine Your Info on Facebook

Got an e-mail list of customers or readers and want to know more about each — such as their full name, friends, gender, age, interests, location, job and education level? Facebook has just the free feature you’re looking for, thanks to its recent privacy changes. The hack, first publicized by blogger Max Klein, repurposes a Facebook feature that lets people find their friends on Facebook by scanning through e-mail addresses in their contact list.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It's similar to how some social networking sites use your e-mail contact list to send out invites to your friends. The password shouldn't be save anywhere. It just accesses your contact list temporarily to copy it. But I guess they should've also added an option to use a saved contact list or to let the person add contacts manually.

[edit on 31/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DGFenrir
But I guess they should've also added an option to use a saved contact list or to let the person add contacts manually.
In my opinion they should never ask for it in the first place. The other answer on Yahoo answers points out:

Don't give it to them.
The idea is that their systems will log into your email account, read your address book, and look for matches with Twitter accounts.
Of course, to do this, they have to have your private password so they can prove to your email service that they are you.
Handing over your password is both foolish and a violation of the terms and conditions of your email service.

The whole idea of a private password is that it's supposed to be private, and giving it to anyone else may very well violate the T&C of the e-mail account as they claim, however I suppose this might depend on who your e-mail account is with. I just read the gmail terms:
www.google.com...

6.1 You agree and understand that you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of passwords associated with any account you use to access the Services.
6.2 Accordingly, you agree that you will be solely responsible to Google for all activities that occur under your account.
6.3 If you become aware of any unauthorized use of your password or of your account, you agree to notify Google immediately at...

I would think that under item 6.2, if Twitter got hacked and someone started spamming with your e-mail account with the password they got on twitter, gmail could come after you even if you weren't the real spammer. 6.1 sort of sounds like they don't expect you to be giving out your account password to twitter or anyone else.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Inspired by this I decided to code some nice # myself...

And what's scary is that I am able to get access to SEVERAL HUNDRED new profiles each day my program is running! And with access I mean FULL access!! I have their password and can # their lives up if I want... (but luckily I'm not that evil)

But this just demonstrates how these social networking sites can be severely misused, that they don't have good enough protection against hackers at all! That they gamble with their users lives actually; because a hacked profile CAN ruin someones life...

And if a mod want proof that I'm not making this up then just contact me.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by icemax2005

Originally posted by mrsdudara
WOW what I want to know is what is the info for? SO they have my email address, so they know my hometown. Whatcha gunna do with it? Nothing. That would be my guess.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by icemax2005]

Send some emails? God forbid anyone ever gets a hold of your email address and actually...emails you.. GASP!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join