It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Details of 100m Facebook users collected and published

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

Originally posted by thomas_
reply to post by Extralien

The funny part is that now there are probably 100m users wanting to see The Pirate Bay shutdown as well since it's there where the info is available to the public.

No, the Pirate Bay simply hosts the torrent file. After the torrent file is released, shutting down the site does little to stop the torrent and usually nothing, since other torrent sites like BT Junkie will start distributing their own copies within hours for a particularly popular file like that one. I mention BT Junkie because they are generally next in line when The Pirate Bay goes down.

And thank God, if there is something the government does not want people to see through broadcast there really is just about nothing they can do to stop a torrent.

I understand how torrents work. And I understand that once up it goes viral and nothing much can be done. But that's not the actual point.

The point is that since BBC has put the PB page image in their article I guess most of the uninformed people (the same ones that left their privacy settings wide open in FB) that don't understand how these things really work will eventually indirectly blame PB for acting as a tracker for such thing.

So in the end the focus will leave Facebook and the author of this data collection and put The Pirate Bay once again on the front pages questioning the validity of their existence for helping spread such "bad things".

This will do great for "institutions" that want arguments and the public behind them to shutdown torrent trackers and implement the necessary blocks on the ISPs to prevent these services from ever working again for the vast majority.

And don't be so silly to think that the government can't do much to shutdown these things. They still have the ability to create laws and enforce companies to follow them. And since you still need a service provider to access the internet they can indeed block these things if they really wanted to. They just can't do it while the vast majority of the population would take such action as censorship, fascism causing havoc and nothing but problems for them.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Look people are posting photos on facebook and don't know things like GTC's. These 100 Million people are Idoit's at it's best. And in 10 years or so they will never find a job again because of the picture from facebook that shows them drunken as 16 year old - is still available on the net. I am a senior IT-Supporter and I have no such account because I know the GTC's.

I know some composers (not me) that posted their tracks on facebook and now they lost their right on that Soundtracks - because posted means for facebook gifted.

It's possible Facebook uses his sound for an advertisement or so, and he can nothing do.

GET IT - Internet is not a save place! If you have an unique username like me - google it and you will wonder what you find.

You can find everthing I posted on the WWW since 1997 here:
lmgtfy.com...

Be careful people, and learn that you private live is all you really own and have.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by cushycrux]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
If you know how to use the security settings in Facebook then your profile is quite safe & nothing to panic over. I've got it set to what I want to reveal and it works exactly how I have set it.
According to the article cited on the link on the site I downloaded the torrent from, this is true, but only if nobody has you listed as a friend (or if every single person listing you as a friend has bulletproof security).

According to that article, the friend feature bypasses your security settings, which is scary, so if someone has you listed as a friend, and they don't have their security set, then I can go into their profile, look you up as their friend and I am no longer blocked by your security settings.

That's what the article claims, I haven't tried it. I just tried to go back to that article on skullsecurity.org to pull a quote from it, but the page isn't loading. Maybe their server is overloaded?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thomas_

The funny part is that now there are probably 100m users wanting to see The Pirate Bay shutdown as well since it's there where the info is available to the public.

More like its a false flag to get Pirate Bay into even more trouble... OR sue 100m facebook users for visiting an illegal file sharing website...

Personally I hate torrents - Someone needs to upload this to RS

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

Torrent is the best. I loaded someting (legal) 1.78 GB in 15 Minutes! (2.8 Megs/Sec.) - at least faster then my CD Burner LOL.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have a Facebook account. I am not worried about this because I carefully selected my privacy settings.

The privacy settings are my second line of defense. My first line of defense is carefully selecting what I put on my Facebook page.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The emails collected will be used for email bots.

No doubt.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I can't stand Facebook.. I get those irritating requests too, people ask me to join, I tell them it's a CIA front, a data mining operation set up to rob them off their privacy, mainly for shock value to irritate them back but also because it's more than likely true, there's connections and even without that I would pretty much take it for granted..

If I wanted to control the people that's exactly what I would do, bigger than life cult leaders like TPTB is capable of far more insidious stuff than just that.

Yet people seem to think powerful leaders are all smiles and sunshines, even though people always call politicians liars. Is that not doublethink? I'm a bit 'hazy' right now.

Most people seem to have tendency of projecting their good will on the rest of humanity, failing to realize that power corrupts, and that the more power you've got, the stronger the thirst for more becomes.

Now in that world, you don't get ahead unless you lack scruples.
Intelligent and power hungry people will gravitate to these elite positions naturally.

Kinda went off there, screw Facebook, I'm out!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kliskey
More like its a false flag to get Pirate Bay into even more trouble... OR sue 100m facebook users for visiting an illegal file sharing website...

Personally I hate torrents - Someone needs to upload this to RS
I haven't tried these download links but here's a Google search of them:

www.google.com... _occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

You probably have to click "quote" on this post, then copy and paste that link into your browser for it to work.

For me the first three results are the related files, all 11 files were uploaded there but the skullsecurity page which listed all the links is down now. You may be able to refine the search to narrow it from 636 results to just the 11 files in the torrent. Someone posted all the filenames earlier in the thread.

I don't think it's illegal to visit TPB, it's only illegal to downoad or upload illegal torrents, and it appears this torrent is perfectly legal, there was no real "hacking" involved.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

TBH i think FB is just another way of getting everyone's info onto some database just like a Police record if you will.... except everyone here is participating of their own freewill without actually knowing it....

And some thugs and peodo's have been caught out on it so it is a good thing in some respects, however i'm not on it myself....

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Keeping on the subject of uploading and downloading legal data.

Torrents can be very slow as you are relying on those that already have the file. On top of that, sometimes you only get to 99% of a file before the person holding the file decides to turn off his PC

Rapidshare and other server based storage allow for superfast download rates (I currently get around 10mb/s) and unless the server crashes (which has never happened yet, touch wood) you can always get access to your files.

I mainly use it for backing up my photos - Which currently (in RAW) take up around 20GB, so much more useful then storing on my PC where I can't access from anywhere in the world.

But this thread isn’t the correct place to discuss such matters

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I don't think it's illegal to visit TPB, it's only illegal to download or upload illegal torrents, and it appears this torrent is perfectly legal, there was no real "hacking" involved.

Site such as TPB and W-BB are legal to view. They are a means of free speech and are in effect just forums for like minded people to talk about stuff.

Even posting how-to's or discussing the concept of downloading is perfectly legal.

But actually committing the deed is apparently frowned upon

[edit on 29/7/2010 by Kliskey]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Double post

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Torrents can be very slow as you are relying on those that already have the file.
Not exactly true. I downloaded just as much if not more from people who didn't have the file yet, only parts of it. And you'd be surprised how fast a torrent downloads with 6000 people in the swarm! It actually would have been slower for me to download it from a site like Hotfile or Rapidshare because I use only the free option which is slow.

The only pain about torrents is, having to seed back what you download. Some people don't but I always do, and that takes a while.

But if the swarm is small I agree torrents can be slow. You won't have any speed problem with the torrent that's the subject of this thread now though. I'm showing 3416 seeds and 9805 leechers in utorrent.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
I have a Facebook account. I am not worried about this because I carefully selected my privacy settings.

The privacy settings are my second line of defense. My first line of defense is carefully selecting what I put on my Facebook page.

Same here. My kids are on Facebook and I don't post anything there that I wouldn't want an employer or my kids to read. Same with my LJ accounts.

And I have several different aliases and a very common (real) name.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I honestly don't care if facebook or any company gained access to the personal information I have placed for anyone to read on my profiles.

I'm not in the least offended that they know what my favourite movies are, what I do in my spare time- What foods I like, or what books I've enjoyed.

Everyone gets so riled up over these things- That our "Privacy" is being invaded. Well; not exactly I'm afraid.

I hear a lot of people using the argument "Yeah, well this is just the first step!!"

Good.
I wish the government could read my mind every moment of every day- Or better yet, that a marketing firm could.

I'd probably:
Enjoy more movies, as they'd know what my demographic likes most
Enjoy television adds more
Get more out of my vehicles or appliances, or technology

The list goes on.

So, if Facebook pirates want to know what brand of socks I buy, or what I like on my sandwiches, let them.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
reply to post by Kliskey

Torrent is the best. I loaded someting (legal) 1.78 GB in 15 Minutes! (2.8 Megs/Sec.) - at least faster then my CD Burner LOL.

No, usenet is still the best. I can download almost anything. Always at my full download speed which is 60mbit. My mate hasa 120mbit connection and gets a whopping 12MB/s sec. You'll never get that from a torrent.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
WOW what I want to know is what is the info for? SO they have my email address, so they know my hometown. Whatcha gunna do with it? Nothing. That would be my guess.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
WOW what I want to know is what is the info for? SO they have my email address, so they know my hometown. Whatcha gunna do with it? Nothing. That would be my guess.

Oh didn't you know? The police can find your exact address just by browsing through that list!

According to one confused poster anyway

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
If you put it out there it is fair game.

How simple is this concept?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

reply to post by cushycrux

Keeping on the subject of uploading and downloading legal data.

Torrents can be very slow as you are relying on those that already have the file. On top of that, sometimes you only get to 99% of a file before the person holding the file decides to turn off his PC

Rapidshare and other server based storage allow for superfast download rates (I currently get around 10mb/s) and unless the server crashes (which has never happened yet, touch wood) you can always get access to your files.

I mainly use it for backing up my photos - Which currently (in RAW) take up around 20GB, so much more useful then storing on my PC where I can't access from anywhere in the world.

But this thread isn’t the correct place to discuss such matters

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I don't think it's illegal to visit TPB, it's only illegal to download or upload illegal torrents, and it appears this torrent is perfectly legal, there was no real "hacking" involved.

Site such as TPB and W-BB are legal to view. They are a means of free speech and are in effect just forums for like minded people to talk about stuff.

Even posting how-to's or discussing the concept of downloading is perfectly legal.

But actually committing the deed is apparently frowned upon

Torrents never go offline as long as one or more people are seeding. I never had a problem. And I meant 2.5 megabyte/sec not megabit/sec. That's 8 times more. And you have to pay on RS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join