It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Uncover 'Bulgarian Machu Picchu'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

July 21, 2010
Bulgarian archaeologists have uncovered a unique residence of the rulers of the Odrysian Kingdom, the state of the most powerful tribe of Ancient Thrace.

The residence is located on the Kozi Gramadi mount in the Sredna Gora mountain, close to the resort town of Hissar in central Bulgaria, at about 1 200 m above sea level.

“The residence of the Odrysian kings is a monument unrivaled in scope in Southeastern Europe. I am convinced there is no other fortress-sanctuary dating back to the 4th-5th century BC which is so well-preserved,” said Dr. Ivan Hristov, head of the archaeological team and Deputy Director of the Bulgarian National History Museum.

The Bulgarian archaeologists call the Thracian fortress “the Bulgarian Machu Picchu” because of the similarities in the organization of the two ancient cities.

The construction of the residence near Hissar is believed to have been started by the Thracian ruler Cotys I (384 BC - 359 BC)

The team led by Dr. Hristov has uncovered the remains of the palace of the Odrysian kings Amatokos II (359 BC - 351 BC) and Teres II (351 BC - 342 BC).

The latter is the last Thracian king who fought Philip II of Macedon (359 BC - 336 BC).

The Odrysian kings' residence-fortress is made up of terraced structures leading archaeologists to call it the Bulgarian Machu Picchu. Photo by BNT

www.novinite.com...

Interesting discoveries everywhere these days, archaeologist are very busy, in many cases they are discovered by lay people who report them to Universities. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, the more the land erodes ancient artifacts are showing themselves, Giza and Egypt are not in the main any longer, one day something will be found that is much larger and more amazing then Giza.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sun Aug 1 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Odd they don't have more pictures. But by the one picture they have, Machu Pichu is MUCH more significant (looking) than this one square is.

Hopefully they'll have some more pictures soon.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

22 July 2010
A team of archaeologists recently discovered a unique residence of the rulers of the Odrysian Kingdom - a union of the ancient Thracian tribes that lasted between the fifth and the third centuries BC, in central Bulgaria.

Called “the Bulgarian Machu Picchu” by Bulgarian archaeologists because of the similarities in the two ancient cities’ organization, the site is located at 1,200 metres above sea level in the Kozi Gramadi mount, close to the resort town of Hisar in the outskirts of the Sredna Gora mountain range.

Tomb

www.balkantravellers.com...

Tried to find more pictures then the two that are posted here, doesn't seem to be any, at least for now.

Mod Note: Please surround all externally quoted Text with the EX tags

[edit on Sun Aug 1 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I love it.

As the Fifth Sun comes we are learning about the previous four instances of man.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Cool find! I've been to Bulgaria before..great country, great people, great food! Their history is very interesting. I'm actually planning a trip to Eastern Europe now...I will definitely make a stop in Hissar to take a closer look at this site.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Historymajor

Lucky you, hope you take lots of pictures that you can share with us when you return. I have spent a lot of time in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, last time I went I wanted to go to Spain but didn't make it, went to Israel many years ago, my daughter, son in law and two young grandchildren went to Spain in March for 10 days, they fell in love with Barcelona. They were going to do a day trip to Morocco but were advised against it because of the problems there.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Rather misleading 'Machu Pichu'?? .... but a nice archaeological find none-the-less

[edit on 28/7/10 by Hanslune]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I believe in the theory that ancient civilizations had reached the peak of their achievements just prior to their crash and burn.

I think most of us agree that we're at that point now. Forums like this one - are records of events, and ideologies of our civilization at the fulcrum of a great and unique cycle.

I wonder whether our accounts and records will be discovered in whole, or in just mysterious fragments by future civilizations 1000 - or perhaps 50 years from now? Or will we be just one more addition to the "legend of Atlantis?"

P.S. While I was Googleing a spelling and a definition, I discovered this site. Fits right in with this post.

www.joelkotkin.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by starrmtn001

Hard to know starr, they are finding things all the time, doubt that it will be everything..thanks for the link and thanks for posting.

new topics

top topics

join