It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday shelters making a comeback

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Doomsday shelters making a comeback

www.usatoday.com

Jason Hodge, father of four children from Barstow, Calif., says he's "not paranoid" but he is concerned, and that's why he bought space in what might be labeled a doomsday shelter.

Hodge bought into the first of a proposed nationwide group of 20 fortified, underground shelters — the Vivos shelter network — that are intended to protect those inside for up to a year from catastrophes such as a nuclear attack, killer asteroids or tsunamis, according to the project's developers.

"It's an investment in life," says Hodge, a Teamsters union representative. "I want to make sure I ha
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aolnews.com< br />
Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Doomsday Digs Growing in Popularity

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Remember the HAPPY DAYS Episode when Mr. Cunningham is pressured in to buy a make-shift BOMB SHELTER?

I remember watching and laughing so hard at how foolish peolpe were in the past.

Well, Just imagine how incredibly hard future generations will be laughing at us.

If you would enjoy a laugh in the present regarding this issue. Please follow the Link to STEPHEN COLBERT'S Report On DOOMSDAY BUNKERS:
STEPHEN COLBERT - DOOMSDAY BUNKERS Video

Also below is that wonderful HAPPY DAYS Episode - "Be The First On Your Block" embedded from YouTube in 3 parts. ENJOY!!!
PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: To Embed Videos

[edit on 7/28/2010 by EyeHeartBigfoot]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Excellent post. I will be watching the Fonz after this reply

The following got my attention from reading the article.....

The shelters range from $400,000 to a $41 million facility Radius built and installed underground that is suitable for 750 people, McCarthy says. He declined to disclose the client or location of the shelter.

A location that can hold up to 750 people.... 41 million... Did the "elite" invest in such shelter or is this a marketing trick ?

Also the fact that they have the 2012 clock on their site is kind of strange.

I love the idea of having a shelter myself and to have a self sustainable area to call my own. Working towards having most appliances in the house running on batteries powered by solar energy at the moment. Learning survival skills and gathering a collection of documentation with basic knowledge on machinery and farming etc.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by no special characters

If someone spent 41 million for a survival shelter you can bet it was with your tax money sent in the hopes that all this would be unneccesary. This most likely being the case, I'm sure that everyone that had their money used to build such a survival shelter already was invited to go there to survive govt mistakes when the time comes

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I might start digging one myself. We had one when I was a kid. Whether it would have helped or not, who knows, but it sure was nice knowing that it was there...just in case. Made a great playroom too and hideaway.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Maybe we could get The Fonz to hit our government and economy with his fist and it will start working again just like he did with the ole' jukebox at Arnold's.

My whole issue with these Doomsday Product/Idea Buyers is: If all some people do is worry about surviving any upcoming Doomsday scenario they do not seem to be really enjoying their current life and all that it has to offer. So, if these Hail Bringer's Of Doom People have no life now prior to "Insert Your Favorite Earth Go Kaplowee Scenario Here" what is it exactly that is so appealing to trying to get a life on a Post-Apocalyptic Earth?

The Fonz needs to tell these people to "Sit On It".

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyeHeartBigfoot

Maybe we could get The Fonz to hit our government and economy with his fist and it will start working again just like he did with the ole' jukebox at Arnold's.

My whole issue with these Doomsday Product/Idea Buyers is: If all some people do is worry about surviving any upcoming Doomsday scenario they do not seem to be really enjoying their current life and all that it has to offer. So, if these Hail Bringer's Of Doom People have no life now prior to "Insert Your Favorite Earth Go Kaplowee Scenario Here" what is it exactly that is so appealing to trying to get a life on a Post-Apocalyptic Earth?

The Fonz needs to tell these people to "Sit On It".

Yeah, lets depend on fictional charactors to prove our case.
No problems now, those silly politicians spending tax money to save themselves, really, a non issue. Dont worry be happy and keep sending in your money people!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by mordant1]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It's highly likely that the 750 person shelter was built by Mormons in the Salt Lake City area, or somewhere nearby. The Mormons are all about being prepared for end times, and the LDS church has the money to do it.

There's gotta be a way to find out. It would be damned hard for a group of 750 people (or so) to keep it a secret.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hello Again!

Just to clarify my previous post. I am not claiming anyone who wants to survive should "Sit On It" just the ones who let the possibility of doomsday consume their lives.

By nature we all want to survive. I am no different but more importantly I enjoy living for today, planning wisely for the future and try to remain rational regarding doomsday.

Just remember, it has been right before doomsday arrives for thousands of years and yet mankind is still here.

I would probably be more inclined to pay very little for the shelter and spend most of my budget building a Mad Max car just in-case I ran into Humungus, Mighty Wez or The Toecutter!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I would say the movie 'Blast From The Past " would be a better representation of how to live in a Shelter..

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Actually, such a shelter ... at a reasonable expense and effort ...is not a bad investment. For instance, depending on the area, one might face tornadoes...severe storms... and in this world, nuclear options are more likely everyday.

Our family has the old fashioned shelter... the root cellar. Works great, plenty of room and its always stocked. We're putting stuff up now for this coming winter.

Considering the community that frequents this site, survival shelters seem reasonable. In a town several miles from me, a cement producer has switched the bulk of his production from water well caps and septic tanks to storm shelters... basically a large septic tank with a hatch and ladder.

Some may laugh at a survival/storm shelter, but we used to laugh at the idea of a closet Muslim becoming president and destroying the USA from within.... really, how believable is that?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
There's usually a room you store all your emergency supplies in anyway...and the generator and crank lights and radios and such. If you have a basement, it's not that expensive to put in a few extra things. Kind of hard to prepare for any eventuality on the average budget, but you can do a lot for relatively little. In our particular house the basement was poured concrete wall that were pretty thick. My dad and grand dad reinforced the ceiling, put in a metal door and some filters on the pipes and air vents, put in a stove and some shelves and cots. I can't remember it all. All the canned and jarred food was down there, and glass 5-gallon water bottles. Who knows how it would have done if we had really needed it...but I'd guess it would have kept us ok for a month or so, if the air kept flowing, that is.

A lot of rich people have safe rooms that are similar, I guess but generally intended for the long term.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

the Insane thing is that the " shelter" has been a concept of seriousness since the 60's. not much has changed. the threat of war, terrorism, or just paranoid..
But ,.. ya can always say ,. ya just never know.
I for one am ready for whatever

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
There is definitely as market for paranoid ATS'ers that for sure!!! There are so many "Preppers" on here who buy stuff but dont think about where the money is going and who they are supporting by buying those goods.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
It's highly likely that the 750 person shelter was built by Mormons in the Salt Lake City area, or somewhere nearby. The Mormons are all about being prepared for end times, and the LDS church has the money to do it.

maybe I'm wrong here but isn't it their
belief that they will ascend before the end times??
And if so, there will be nobody left to use
the shelter ....... then why build it ????
just asking

edit for spelling, dang fat fingers

[edit on 28-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
but over-all this article is a fine example
of the average Joe thinking and believing
something bad is gonna happen in the
near future. Masses more would be
building them if they had the finances.

However, underground bunkers are gonna
offer very little protection from a 1,000
ft tsunami. So they may be pi$$ing in the
wind so to speak.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

star for the humungus/toecutter reference alone.

i'm thinking, yeah, the road warrior car idea ain't bad. actually a preferred alternative to slowly rotting away in a time-released tomb would be going totally nomad. unless you really knew what you were doing, or hired an engineer, you'd be digging your own grave.

doomsday, shmoomsday. who wouldn't want thier own bunker on any given day? i'd just move in. wear camo all the time. the wife will love it...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
There is definitely as market for paranoid ATS'ers that for sure!!! There are so many "Preppers" on here who buy stuff but dont think about where the money is going and who they are supporting by buying those goods.

Ok I'll bite, who are they supporting? Mexican drug dealers? Izzies? Rabs?Who are these evil people being supported by preppers? Enquiring mnds want to know

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

This is a great episode from the Twilight Zone...

www.cbs.com...

There are commercials on this video,sorry about that.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by mamabeth]

new topics

top topics

join