It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrant Deportations Up Under Obama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No doubt illegal immigration is still an issue but this Federal government has stepped up its efforts and paid more attention, certainly more than the previous administrations. The only reason why illegal immigration has gone back into the core of our attention is because of politics. The only reason that AZ law was introduced was for political purposes, to gain votes for November to the Republicans, this is why it was conveniently put through during the midterm election year. Looking back to 2002 and 2003 when the immigration problem was just as worse, most folks and future tea party protesters were too busy focusing on liberating Iraq for Freedom.

People follow the issues political opportunists conveniently bring up, especially on this forum.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I've worked retail and restaurant waiting tables. I currently do tech support for a living. I deal with people who have no clue how to operate their 1000+ dollar piece of equipment. I deal with people who have no idea how to operate the equipment they need to do their job. I deal with business travelers who are tired, irritated and sometimes drunk. I get called all manner of bad names and belittled at nearly every turn. I don't even make the 15 an hour I mentioned either. I make slightly below that.

To get me out in the hot sun, away from this nice air conditioned office where in my down time I can browse the internet it would take much more than the 15 an hour I mentioned. Would I do that if I had no other option? You bet your ass. However a lot of people who are unemployed are unemployed from jobs that pay considerably more than the 9 an hour they offered. These were jobs with benefits and 401k plans, vacation days and paid sick leave. Unless you're truly desperate, which thanks to the unemployment extensions most people aren't, very few people will take on those jobs at that rate of pay.

To the poster who mentioned my price for produce would go up, not at all. What I don't grow myself (on my apartment porch mind you) I purchase from local growers that are family owned and run that do not hire illegal immigrants or guest workers.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The best way to end it is to take away the incentive people have to hire them. fine them left and right, reform welfare to keep undocumented immigrants from getting it, punish people who hire illegals. If there is no demand then there is no reason for illegals to keep coming.

Too much common sense.

reply to post by Southern Guardian

The only reason that AZ law was introduced was for political purposes, to gain votes for November to the Republicans,

I too believe it is just politics. IMO, politicians from State and Feds are all alike. Job security and power are very important to them.

reply to post by Hypntick

However a lot of people who are unemployed are unemployed from jobs that pay considerably more than the 9 an hour they offered. These were jobs with benefits and 401k plans, vacation days and paid sick leave. Unless you're truly desperate, which thanks to the unemployment extensions most people aren't, very few people will take on those jobs at that rate of pay.

Very good point you make. I know that in some communities, the 9 an hour is basically all that is left. Many higher paying companies have taken their business elsewhere.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by jam321
Why didn't 1500 Americans sign up for these jobs?

Because wages in the farming sector became suppressed due to years of unbridled illegal immigration.

Several farmers I lived around when I was stationed at Ft. Bliss, Texas said that American Citizens wouldn't do the job no matter what they payed them.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am going to surprise some people and be relatively "conservative" on this issue.

I think we do need to toughen up on illegal immigration. They are taking jobs from Americans because they work cheaper, often below the wage stated by their employers.

I have advanced degrees but have often waited tables or worked in fast food while searching for a better job. When there was nothing else available in my field I have worked as an adjunct professor for $500/mo. (Nope. That is NOT enough to live on your own, much less support a family; I was lucky enough to be able to rent a small room in a relative's house.)

I do think there's some truth to the belief that some people won't take a job that they feel is "beneath" them. In this country we tend not to treat minimum wage workers with much respect. When I was a waitress I frequently encountered customers who thought I must be stupid and/or a failure in life because of my job and treated me accordingly. If you aren't tough you can begin to feel very inferior. My mother used to say "Any honest work is honorable" and I believe we as a society should behave accordingly.

That said, there's another possible solution that hasn't been seriously considered on this thread. That is raising the wages for the lowest-paid workers to an amount they can actually live on.

Yes, that increase in cost may be passed on to the consumers. You have to weigh that against the fact that as people make more they consume more, which is good for the economy. The other possibility is that maybe (gasp) the increase in salaries may cut into the profits of some of their employers a little, and the head honchos might not make a gazillion dollars a year. Employers will always pay the least amount they can and still find workers to fill those jobs. That's business.

I think once a job actually pays enough to support a family we will find more Americans taking those jobs.

There will always be some people who will be above honest work if there's not enough money or prestige to suit them. But historically Americans have never been afraid of hard work. Pay them decently, give them decent benefits, and they will work for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join