It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigrant Deportations Up Under Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Yep, Feds aren't doing their jobs.
Yet, we have the most security we have ever had on the Southern Border and now we have more deportations than the last administration.

In a bid to remake the enforcement of federal immigration laws, the Obama administration is deporting record numbers of illegal immigrants and auditing hundreds of businesses that blithely hire undocumented workers.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency expects to deport about 400,000 people this fiscal year, nearly 10 percent above the Bush administration's 2008 total and 25 percent more than were deported in 2007. The pace of company audits has roughly quadrupled since President George W. Bush's final year in office.

www.cbsnews.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

I also believe that Obama's method of auditing, rather than raiding, businesses is a great plan. Basically, ICE goes over I-9's and checks them against the system. If discrepancies are found, employers have to give the employees a certain time to fix the discrepancies. The employee is fired if they cannot fix the discrepancy.

Here is an example.

Throughout last year, ICE auditors examined forms known as I-9’s, which all new hires in the country must fill out. ICE then advised Gebbers Farms of Social Security and immigration numbers that did not check out with federal databases.

www.nytimes.com...

The only thing I don't understand is this part from the article above.

After completing a federally mandated local labor search, Gebbers Farms applied to the federal guest worker program to import about 1,200 legal temporary workers — most from Mexico. The guest workers, who can stay for up to six months, also included about 300 from Jamaica.

Why didn't 1500 Americans sign up for these jobs?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Because wages in the farming sector became suppressed due to years of unbridled illegal immigration.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You bring up a good possibility.

But from a source I found the minimum wage was about 9 Bucks. Is $9 really low for Americans who are unemployed?

The agency’s website also does not identify employers, but showed that WorkSource Okanogan County listed 300 jobs on March 15 for thinning, pruning and harvesting in Brewster, with a guaranteed minimum wage of $8.87 an hour.

Two nearly identical ads were posted in early April for 980 more workers.

www.wenatcheeworld.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Because wages in the farming sector became suppressed due to years of unbridled illegal immigration.

I try not to make generalizations in most cases. However, I am truly starting to believe (or perhaps always have) that most Americans believe they are above working labor and that minimum wage jobs are beneath them. I believe that most Americans believe they are "due" something more. I also believe the welfare system is set up to support this belief.

I don't agree with illigal immigration, but I do believe that the migrant/guest worker programs will and are necessary because "we" won't do it ourselves. The whole system sux.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It's not a possibility. In the town of Brewster where these farms are headquartered, 60% of population are Hispanic. Put 2 and 2 together...

But from a source I found the minimum wage was about 9 Bucks. Is $9 really low for Americans who are unemployed?

It just may be, if you consider that you need to relocate to Brewster which also costs money. Just check the map.

Gebber Farms got a honorary mention in Wikipedia, in the article on illegal immigration.

Back to the OP: good job, Mr. Obama, but I consider it a down payment on a consistent deportation policy, which we need more of.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

9 an hour is to low to farm. That is rough outdoor labor, when you can get 9 an hour or more working in McDonald's or Wal-mart. Hell 9 an hour in general isn't even remotely enough to take care of one person in livable conditions, unless of course you're living 10-15 in a house. Depending on area of the country, I would expect closer to 15 or more an hour for tough physical labor like that. At least at 15 an hour you could support yourself in somewhere other than a ghetto.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Oh boy, this is gonna "stew the teabag" for a bunch of folks. What you know, Obama is tougher on illegals than Bush was, what a surprise.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
However, I am truly starting to believe (or perhaps always have) that most Americans believe they are above working labor and that minimum wage jobs are beneath them.

Somehow, I see many, many people who don't look remotely Mexican, working jobs that pay not much in excess of minimum wage, in Suffolk County, Long Island. Am I hallucinating? I also strongly suspect that most landscaping business are hiring illegals outright (because of cash nature of this business and difficulty to control hiring of day laborers), because I haven't seen a single person working there who wouldn't look Hispanic.

I believe that most Americans believe they are "due" something more.

I don't know any Americans with this kind of attitude.

I also believe the welfare system is set up to support this belief.

I had to visit the Social Security office a few months ago, and the crowd looked overwhelmingly Hispanic. Your point?

[edit on 28-7-2010 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I had to visit the Social Security office a few months ago, and the crowd looked overwhelmingly Hispanic. Your point?

Point should be obvious - your location is not my location. What you see is not what I see. Come back with the breakdown of unemployment benefit demographics across the US and then we'll talk about who is and who is not working where, for what and why...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The agency’s website also does not identify employers, but showed that WorkSource Okanogan County listed 300 jobs on March 15 for thinning, pruning and harvesting in Brewster, with a guaranteed minimum wage of $8.87 an hour.

Two nearly identical ads were posted in early April for 980 more workers.

www.wenatcheeworld.com...

Some may find that pay beneath them, others may disagree with the hours. Do you know what type of hours were mentioned in the ad?

Depending upon where you live even $10 an hour can be barely enough to scrape by, but for anyone who is unemployed it should be more than enough incentive to work, especially if its for a job the illegals actually do take.

Star and Flag, it's always good to see some hard fact in a topic full of rhetoric. The administration still undermines the position that is reported here though, by pursuing suit against Arizona's laws while apparently ignoring sanctuary cities.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't generalize, but I got the whole"they took our jobs" mentality slapped out of me by reality years ago. I don't even think it's because illegals (and legal immigrants) are somehow above laziness. I think it's simply because most Americans are not forced to do certain things. Growing up I had to clean the house, cook dinner, etc. This wasn't even that long ago (I'm 28). I know so many people my age who never had to do chores. They never had to work. Most people my age would never consider working on a farm (that I know anyway).

My father works at a local paper and plastic cup making plant. He fixes machines and basically just walks around waiting for something to break down. He will sweep the floor or help out in other areas. A few weeks ago there was a lot of flack going around because 711 was threatening to pull their contract and go to Solo because demand wasn't being met by the plant. So, in light of this the plant owner Tony was coming down to knock heads. My dad didn't really care that much because he's pretty frank when he comes anyway. My father thought it best to make sure everything was clean for his arrival though. Dad was out there sweeping up cigarette butts from the entrance. The rest of the workers thought he was insane and told him. One person even told him "I'm not sweeping a floor i'm not a janitor".

You'd think it was going to kill them or something. There are a few people my age who will get out there and do dirty work, but they are accustom to doing it because of the way they grew up. Most people seem to be wanting white collar jobs these days.

Jam, you know you are wasting your time right? If you don't feed the hysteria people won't listen.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
reply to post by jam321

9 an hour is to low to farm. That is rough outdoor labor, when you can get 9 an hour or more working in McDonald's or Wal-mart. Hell 9 an hour in general isn't even remotely enough to take care of one person in livable conditions, unless of course you're living 10-15 in a house. Depending on area of the country, I would expect closer to 15 or more an hour for tough physical labor like that. At least at 15 an hour you could support yourself in somewhere other than a ghetto.

Too low to farm? Well, if the pay was 15 dollars an hour I assure you that you would be paying considerably more for produce.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
reply to post by jam321

9 an hour is to low to farm. That is rough outdoor labor, when you can get 9 an hour or more working in McDonald's or Wal-mart.

Have you ever worked a retail job? I know I'd have taken 9 to work outdoors away from customers who think they're owed everything for nothing; who treat stores like day-cares and pay no attention to their children running amok amidst the merchandise.

9 for picking fruit that doesn't talk back, doesn't complain that they can't read the return policy or coupon stipulations, doesn't tell me how much they paid elsewhere.

Color me a misanthrope but I'd have taken that job.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Do you know what type of hours were mentioned in the ad?

No. Looked for exact ad but couldn't locate it.

but for anyone who is unemployed it should be more than enough incentive to work,

I would think so, but I have many members of my own family who won't do certain jobs no matter what they pay. They are even less incline if they are receiving unemployment.

The administration still undermines the position that is reported here though, by pursuing suit against Arizona's laws while apparently ignoring sanctuary cities.

I agree with this. But even within a sanctuary city, ICE is always on the prowl.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Key word . . . expects.

Second paragraph of the quote.

So he is doing 10% more than Bush, who was abyssmal.

Settling for the lesser of two evils, again.

You people never learn.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Jam, you know you are wasting your time right? If you don't feed the hysteria people won't listen.

Jam321, converting people one at a time.

The thing is that one has to at least try to make others understand.

We have the most security we have ever had on that border. Yet, there is no established or defined goal on what border security is.

IMO, keeping everyone out at just one of our border is just about impossible and will be costly. Especially when you consider we are sacrificing the security at our other borders and waterways in order to secure the Southern Border.

IMO, there are better ways to handle illegal immigrants.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'd farm for $9 an hour. I need a job, so I could care really what it was. And thats basically been my outlook my whole life.

I was a brick laborer for 7.50 an hour, and at the time that was the highest paying job I had ever had, that was tough work.

$9 an hour comes to about 1400 before taxes for a month. Probably 1100-1200 after taxes.

Taking the last house I had and those bills...

Rent = 500
Utilities = 250

Thats $750 out of roughly 11, leaving just about $350 to feed a family of 4 through the month, not to mention living expenses.

It would be hard to provide for my family with that job, but I wouldn't turn it down because it didn't do enough. Something is always better than nothing, and its always easier to find a job when you already have one.

I will say though, that for many people I know rather they consider themselves skilled labor, or just an average person, feel many of the wages they are offered aren't worth their time, so they don't take the job saying it would be an insult to work for that wage, but have no problem being being insulted by hunger and poverty.

At some point people have to put their pride aside. I had to, and it was a tough pill to swallow. I ran my own business, and went from that to getting turned down for jobs at McDonald's.

At this point, I'd work for any amount of money that would put any food on the table, or the floor if it didn't pay enough to afford a table.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

reply to post by antonia

IMO, keeping everyone out at just one of our border is just about impossible and will be costly. Especially when you consider we are sacrificing the security at our other borders and waterways in order to secure the Southern Border.

IMO, there are better ways to handle illegal immigrants.

I'd agree with that. You are never going to solve the problem on the supply side. It's akin to the way we try to combat drugs in this country. Just completely backwards. You cannot stop people who really want it. The best way to end it is to take away the incentive people have to hire them. fine them left and right, reform welfare to keep undocumented immigrants from getting it, punish people who hire illegals. If there is no demand then there is no reason for illegals to keep coming.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

At this point, I'd work for any amount of money that would put any food on the table, or the floor if it didn't pay enough to afford a table.

When I Loss my high paying manufacturing job, got stripped of my unemployment for going back to school, I took every freaking job I could to make money to pay my bills and take care of my kids.

Of course, my jobs had to work around my education because I was determined to get my 4 year degree.

No job is too low for me when it comes to taking care of my family.

for your post

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't agree with illigal immigration, but I do believe that the migrant/guest worker programs will and are necessary because "we" won't do it ourselves.

That doesn't mean we aren't capable of doing them of course. But what you have stated above has no doubt created debate.

“The basic problem is that there is insufficient concern in Congress for low-wage workers in the United States. There’s not an active lobby for $9-an-hour gardeners, people like that,” said Ross Eisenbrey, vice president of the Economic Policy Institute, a Washington think tank. “Employers were hoping to get foreign workers for low wages. They got what they asked for.”

Not so, says Bruce Bachand. His Orlando-based company pays up to $12.50 an hour — well over the prevailing wage of $8.79 — to get higher quality landscapers from Mexico.

www.joplinglobe.com...

Like you said, the whole system sux.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join