It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heroic Dog Saves Soldiers in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Heroic Dog Saves Soldiers in Afghanistan

Dog to be reunited with soldier he saved from suicide bomber.

Rufus (shown here) saved a group of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan by startling a suicide bomber who was targeting their combat outpost in the middle of the night. In February, Rufus and two other strays living near the toops, started barking when they heard an intruder approach the sleeping soldiers. Rufus grabbed the bomber's leg while the other two alerted the troops. Surprised and compromised, the terrorist detonated the bomb too early, killing himself but only injuring a few U.S. soldiers. One of the dogs was killed in the blast and the two others were seriously injured but nursed back to health. Later this week, Rufus will be reunited in Atlanta with Chris Duke, one of the soldiers he saved, the New York Post reported. (Courtesy Nowzad Dogs)

[Source]

Related story...Sgt. Chris Duke Reunited With Rufus, Stray Dog That Saved His Life In Afghanistan

[Please delete if this has already been posted...I didn't see it out on ATS.]

Sorry, but I ♥ dogs

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, what an awesome story - S&F
I too am a dog lover, as you can see by my avatar

If you ever have some time, you should read "Jock of the bushveld" or get the movie, but the book is better. It tells the story of a loyal English Bull Terrier back in the 1880's in South Africa.

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope we get see pictures of the reunion between Rufus and the soldier!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Thanks for the tip on Jock

Still looking into pictures of the two of them.

Here's another story...with pictures of a puppy. Apparently there were three dogs...Rufus and Target, who were both wounded, and Sasha, who died. [Link]

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I ♥ Rufus!
I ♥ Rufus!
I ♥ Rufus!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You are right, I s&f the op and salute the other dogs and truly feel for the loss. Heroes comes in many shapes and forms and sometimes from the most unexpected.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hello All

Fantastic story . ... wether the dogs knew the bomber was a 'baddie' or were just reacting to an intrusion to their territory, who knows..

But Nice to hear a home was found for these animals by the Soldiers who were directly affected....

Attached is a link about another Dog hero from Afghanistan, called Treo and Sadie. Both worked with British forces and helped saved many lives..

www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.pdsa.org.uk...

Best Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

How very cool that they got medals. I had no idea how many lives these dogs save. Real heroes, for sure. Thank you so much for posting those stories. Peace.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Update: The dogs are here...they've been reunited.

Video with the complete story is here.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Bless these heroic dogs. Surely there should be humanitarian campaigns to adopt these strays off the streets of Afghanistan. Obviously, these selfless acts by man's best friends tell me that bombers are no good and their acts of violence should stop right now.

Good boy, Rufus!

[edit on 2010-8-03 by pikypiky]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Interesting....

But what you do not know, .... what you possibly could not fathom, .... is that this iraqi dog was actually a canine spy.

... and if you could translate his barking that night you would hear " Now you will die american swine "

..... and they treat him like a hero, ... pppffff

Mission accomplished comrade, .... now he will get a first class ticket the ole US of A.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

IntastellaBurst

Oh dear !!! Have you thought about fictional writing as a career ?

Your imagination might be your success !?!

Cheers
PurpleDOG UK

top topics

join