It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people find the idea of something under there bed creepy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think I mentioned this earlier somewhere. I used to have this feeling that something was going to grab me when I went to get in bed. The more I though about it the more real it seemed to get. However once in bed I felt totally safe. Its our mind making our subconcious think there is real danger. Which in turn hightens the senses and adrenaline. It seems to create a cycle that becomes scarier the more we think about it.

Also like someone else posted, under the bed is a place we rarely visit, so who's to say nothings there?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Thats why i sleep on the floor

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I think I heard somewhere that being afraid of dark places, particularly dark places directly below you is an instinctual fear; that in primitive times dark places signified danger.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
As some have eluded to, could it harken back to our 'cave man' days? Our ancestors slept on the ground, now we are raised until we have a gap underneath us. An unprotected space? Comming from behind? I read that the reason rocking babies puts them to sleep is because it mimmicks the way our ancestors were migratory, and the rocking simulates the walking motion. just as an example of our programming.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Reminds me of that old movie with Fred Savage, Little Monsters i think it was called. they had a whole network where they could go under anyones bed and terrorize em, hehe.
funny little movie now that i think about it again. dang, i feel old now

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think I tend to agree that these things maybe left over instincts from our more wild days. The dark was not a welcome time in the eyes of those living in that time.

I've even heard there was a theory that generalized anxiety disorder maybe caused by overactive instincts also left over from our cave dwelling days.

Oddly I also sleep on the floor.. I've been doing it for years, I never really thought twice about it till now... hmmm

top topics

<< 1   >>

join