It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron Backs India's Bid for Seat in UN Security Council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Cameron Backs India's Bid for Seat in UN Security Council

www.ndtv.com

"India matters to the world because it is not only a rising power, it is a responsible global power," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It would be a more interesting world if we get India' on the UN Security Council. India, a nuclearly armed, non-signatory to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, who is often the voice of reason.

The current permanent 5 members of the council are listed below and were drawn from what were viewed as the victorious nations of WWII. Permanent members have the power to veto any substantive resolution.

* China
* France
* Russia
* United Kingdom
* United States

All nuclearly armed too, I might add. Brazil, Germany, India, and Japan are also vying for permanent membership.

Japan and Germany contribute the second and third largest amounts of funding to the UN. Guess who the first is.

Brazilian and Indian troops make up a very large number of troops sent on UN-mandated peace-keeping missions.

I have wondered in the past month or so how the last vote to sanction Iran would have gone had India maintained a permanent seat then.

The other 10 of the current 15 seats on the UN Security Council are rotated out yearly...five at a time for two-year terms.

www.ndtv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Hague was hinting at building up relations with countries like India when he took over the Foreign Office.
Obviously he meant it.
This looks like a very deliberate long-term policy shift.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
It's probably time for a change. A shake up. I never quite understood the value of the permanent seats in recent years. Maybe they should all be rotated.

[edit on 7/28/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

This makes perfect sense now that that colony has come of age.

It is time for India to be about it's father's (the empire) business.

Plus it connects that dots about the US future attack on Pakistan.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
Plus it connects that dots about the US future attack on Pakistan.

Absolutely. Wheels well in motion. Pakistan was always on "the list." Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, the baby-stans...all for India and China's $$$.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
As mentioned by another poster, Cameron is looking to shore up trade deals with the visit and backing India's bid for a seat on the UN Security Council is perhaps a sweetener.

However, with India's growth rate set to rise and continue, they are a very important player on the world stage and integral to helping flailing American and European economies.

I maintain that the geo-political power axis is firmly on a swing to the East, with China and India quickly becoming the worlds leaders. That might be twenty years away, but time sure goes quick.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Ten years ago they said it was 50 years away. It sure does move quick.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
India is the oldest democracy. They should be on the council.

Brazil is to become a superpower and is a regional power in South America. It should be in it too.

Japan... Japan is bankrupt... but they are fair. They should be in the council too.

Maybe put an african country too? To be fair? Maybe a representative of the African Union could represent Africa on the security council...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I know, I have read many different projections, but the shear scale of their economic rise and political influence is incredible. It won't be long until Mandarin becomes part of Western school curriculums!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Ugh I had enough trouble with Latin.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

And there are occasions I struggle with English. Latin, my dad can give sermon in Latin. Long story, but it is a cool language to hear. Very emotive.

top topics

join