It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of Earths? Talk causes a stir

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Alan Boyle writes: A leader of the Kepler planet-hunting team has created a slow-moving scientific stir by telling an audience at a high-tech conference that our galaxy could harbor 100 million Earths, based on the space mission's raw data. The resulting buzz focuses not only on the findings, but also on the means by which they came to light.

The conclusions drawn by Harvard astronomer Dimitar Sasselov totally make sense, based on the composition of our own solar system. If we look at the eight dominant planets, four of them are Earth-scale, two are Neptune-scale, and the other two are big gas giants. (And then there are hundreds or thousands of smaller worlds like Pluto.)

During his July 16 talk at the TEDGlobal conference at Oxford, Sasselov observed that the preliminary results from Kepler were following that pattern. So far, planetary candidates "like Earth" - those that are no more than twice as wide as our own planet - make up the largest category in Kepler's database, according to a chart Sasselov used to illustrate his talk. The proportion is significantly more than that for Neptune-sized, Saturn-sized or Jupiter-sized candidates. (These observations came just after the eight-minute mark in the video embedded above.)

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

An artist's conception shows NASA's Kepler probe observing a distant solar system. In reality, Kepler does not make direct observations of alien planets but detects transits by looking for a characteristic dip in starlight intensity.

Of course there are Millions of Earth like planets out there, to think we are alone in this vast Cosmos is the ultimate arrogance. If there are millions, maybe billions of Galaxies out there other then our own they more then likely are similar to ours and inhabited, the inhabitants may not look or be like us but in my opinion I believe they are there.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I always figured that there were many "earth-like" planets out there; we just couldn't see them with the technology we had. I have been waiting for some results to come in from Kepler. Before Kepler, we had not identified a single earth-like planet. Now, they seem to rule the galaxy. Here is a nice graphic showing the approximate number of planets discovered and their approximate size.

Image courtesy of Discovery.com

S&F OP

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Yep pretty obvious to me anyway, I don't believe in the big bang. It makes perfect sense to me that 'space' was here forever and will be here forever. So it's size is unlimited.

People say 'o there has to be an end!' Ok so what if there is and end? Then somethings after that, is it just whiteness? Then whats after that and that etc etc it goes on forever!

And for anyone who doesn't believe there is other life out there, you are an ignorant fool. Do you believe god created us too?? Jeez get outta the fairy tale and into the real world. Maybe then we could take this planet back!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm not surprised. There's a common thought among Sci Fi writers like Roddenberry, Aismov, Clark, etc... that the universe is peopled with intelligent life as is our galaxy. They are out there waiting for us to make contact or reach a certain technological stage (hydrogen fusion?). Then we can come out and play and join the team.

The only question remaining is it possible to leap the vast distances between the stars and that is still an unknown.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by airforce47
I'm not surprised. There's a common thought among Sci Fi writers like Roddenberry, Aismov, Clark, etc... that the universe is peopled with intelligent life as is our galaxy. They are out there waiting for us to make contact or reach a certain technological stage (hydrogen fusion?). Then we can come out and play and join the team.

The only question remaining is it possible to leap the vast distances between the stars and that is still an unknown.

And it will be forever unknown, unless some agency with $$ atempts to develop it. And NASA does not have the
to try it, because it can't be done with rockets.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
For every Earth sized planet in the galaxy, there is a pea sized human brain here on Earth.

Some of us didn't need verification from Kepler to know that Earth was far from extraordinary. It's like the child who thinks he's/she's super duper special... the center of his/her parents universe.. until his first day of school when he/she meets hundreds of kids just like himself/herself.

IRM

[edit on 28/7/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I am in total agreement with that, I don't need Kepler either to verify that there are other planets out there and more then likely more intelligent then us, we will never make it past a type 0 civilization.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
We need to change our ways fast.
We can't even coexist with the different races on our own little planet.

If we indeed get to a point where we start to make contact with these other worlds, there are some big chances we will engage in war against them for dominance.

If we haven't changed our ways by then, i really hope we lose.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaden_x
We need to change our ways fast.
We can't even coexist with the different races on our own little planet.

If we indeed get to a point where we start to make contact with these other worlds, there are some big chances we will engage in war against them for dominance.

Some of those Planets may already have the ability to contact us but and that is a big but, why would they, if they have the technology to contact us they also may have the technology to monitor what is going on here and running as fast as they can the other way.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

we will never make it past a type 0 civilization.

I sincerely hope we do...

IRM

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
If there are millions, maybe billions of Galaxies out there other then our own they more then likely are similar to ours and inhabited, the inhabitants may not look or be like us but in my opinion I believe they are there.

What if they indeed look like you? Or to be precise, you look like them. And those earths are extremely similar to this one? Gravity, day length, climate.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

you need kepler to tell you how common earth size planets in earth like orbits around stars like our sun are.

would you like to take a guess now?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I didn't know which book, but I did once read information that NWO's goal is one govern for the planet. Why, because they can contact with other aliens in space. One phase in that book did mention that none of aliens want to make a deal with a planet that have diversity governments. Is it true?

However, I can relate that to Star Trek series. I have notice that most of time that captains from the series usually check the planet's governs and if there are two or more in one planet. The captains tend to leave it alone until there are one govern. I wonder is it a hint that NWO is a good thing as we hear all negative about NWO?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hello there. Please contribute to the previous discussion:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for understanding. Thread closed.

top topics

join