It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A HUGEE blow to skeptics: 100 million earths..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Yeah well too freakin’ late. Tribes of earthlikeworms have already confirmed life out there based on that one slip-up. I bet you zillions more will in the ignoreons to come. It’s a too sweet glowing hot lookin mama of a cherry not to pick.

This one I prophet to be sticky.

We’re doomed.

[edit on 30/7/10 by D.Wolf]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The universe is probably teaming with life. Some like us and some that we cannot even begin to understand or acknowledge. By the way, we are actually in the boondocks of our galaxy. I wonder how that played a role in our "less then favorable" development ??

To me, people who insist that there is no life out there are idiotic. Wherever there is light there is life, the universe is littered with light, stars, solar systems, and planets and who knows what else. Get serious, we are not alone, however left on our own....

[edit on 31-7-2010 by Madara]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Cheers for the laugh....your 1st post here was spot on.
-----------------------------------

I can't see how they can conclude so quickly that these may be "habitable" planets? Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Regarding the "Drake's Equation": to me, it is such a simple one that it is just too unrealistic to be anywhere near valid in it's present form or even with some modern day additions. I felt that about it when I first encountered it in Dr Carl Sagan's "Cosmos".
Just one or two additional factors could move a decimal point many places but in reality I think the factors truly involved are huge and an equation would be incredibly long. The Drake's Equation seems a real simplified way to think about it.

I think the finding of all these "earth" like planets is going to make things less optmistic for those who believe in life out there and the addition of these planets with no more evidence than we have right now will prove frustrating.

Still.....NASA and others must be rubbing their sweaty little hands together and smiling at more fuel for the funding.

So, now we have this news, as a Skeptic I feel no different really. No blow, and NOT 100 million "earth's" in my opinion but just more balls of dirt hurtling through a void with no apparent purpose.....weeeeeeee!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Madara
The universe is probably teaming with life.

"probably", or do you maybe mean "possibly"?

To me, people who insist that there is no life out there are idiotic.

And to me, people who insist these "is" are even more idiotic because it is they who so far have 0% proof for it, only the possibility.

Wherever there is light there is life,

And wherever there is light there is also no life. Our solar system is the proof of that. With one planet inhabited and all others so far devoid of life, it shows that life is not a guarantee just because of a ball of fire in the vicinity.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
its hardly breaking news...anyone who doesnt believe in ET life is unbelievably close minded.

think about this next bit carefully:

if there are 1 trillion stars in our galaxy alone...each star has a number of planets around it.

100 million earth like planets is actually a TINY amount compared to how many there could possibly be. 100 million is a small fraction of a trillion.

now...we can barely see outside our galaxy...but we do know there are trillions of trillions of other galaxies out there.....each with trillions of stars...some tens of trillions more than ours....each star with those darn planets.

the chances of another planet having life as intelligent as us is almost CERTAIN!

now...consider the universe is 14 billion years old. a civilisation only needs to be 1 or 2 thousand years ahead of us to be GREATLY more technologically advanced...and during a 14 billion year time period...2 thousand years is like the blink of an eye...its so easily possible its dam near impossible to not have happened.

and that little description ive just gave you doesnt even begin to explain it.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

if there are 1 trillion stars in our galaxy alone..

sorry there isnt estimates range from 100 billion- 400 billion. Most astronomy papers recently use the 100 billion figure.

now...we can barely see outside our galaxy...but we do know there are trillions of trillions of other galaxies out there.....

i dont know why poeple go on about other galaxies. how are we going to detect life there? or send a probe there? or communicate with another civilization who lives there? also the upper estimate ive seen is 300 billion galaxies. not trillions.

Mr sasselov has misled everyone with this "100 million" potentially habitable planet number. He doesnt make it clear if he's scaling his stats to the whole galaxy and for all types of stars but i think he is.

We can cut that number by 80% becuase 80% of stars reside in hostile areas of our galaxy. They are outside the GHZ (galactic habitable zone) so that brings us down to 20 million. Now M stars are problematic for complex life so if we take a conservative approach we should only count G type stars. The current estimate is 1 out of 20 stars in the GHZ are G type like sol.

Which brings us down to 1 million potentially habitable planets in our galaxy.

Not so impressive as 100 million is it? but a damn site more realistic.

Still his presentation was so vague and incompetent we dont really know what he was talking about. Even i was confused and im into this stuff. If he was talking 100 million potential planets in the GHZ only around G type stars that would be pretty cool but i dont think he was.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Even though we need a G type star to produce the wave length of light to produce complex life we can continue to reduce that number for many others factors. Our planet would look like Mars if our core solidified too soon as Mars' core did. Complex life would not exist on earth without a moon either. Our moon stabilizes the earth to produce constant seasons and without it we would wobble back and forth from hot to cold and back very quickly as it spins.

The earth is a delicate balance and Venus is a great example that this type of balance should not be taken as a common event. Venus is hotter than Mercy with its out of control greenhouse effect. Even when we suggest that a planet may have all it needs to produce complex life does not mean it would be teaming with space traveling aliens. I’m not even sure if intelligence is a good evolutionary trait since it is basically the one trait that allows one species to destroy all life on a planet. I think it might just die out as other bad traits do…hehe

As I always have said, aliens would either have always been a part of us from day one of humans’ existence or we are very alone by the spear odds of two species ever meeting in the vastness of space.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
...As I always have said, aliens would either have always been a part of us from day one of humans’ existence or we are very alone by the spear odds of two species ever meeting in the vastness of space.

In that sense, we are alone -- just like a man on a deserted island is alone, even though there are 6 Billion other people on this planet.
However, I believe there are probably other intelligent beings out in the universe somewhere

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

if there are 1 trillion stars in our galaxy alone..

sorry there isnt estimates range from 100 billion- 400 billion. Most astronomy papers recently use the 100 billion figure.

now...we can barely see outside our galaxy...but we do know there are trillions of trillions of other galaxies out there.....

i dont know why poeple go on about other galaxies. how are we going to detect life there? or send a probe there? or communicate with another civilization who lives there? also the upper estimate ive seen is 300 billion galaxies. not trillions.

Mr sasselov has misled everyone with this "100 million" potentially habitable planet number. He doesnt make it clear if he's scaling his stats to the whole galaxy and for all types of stars but i think he is.

We can cut that number by 80% becuase 80% of stars reside in hostile areas of our galaxy. They are outside the GHZ (galactic habitable zone) so that brings us down to 20 million. Now M stars are problematic for complex life so if we take a conservative approach we should only count G type stars. The current estimate is 1 out of 20 stars in the GHZ are G type like sol.

Which brings us down to 1 million potentially habitable planets in our galaxy.

Not so impressive as 100 million is it? but a damn site more realistic.

Still his presentation was so vague and incompetent we dont really know what he was talking about. Even i was confused and im into this stuff. If he was talking 100 million potential planets in the GHZ only around G type stars that would be pretty cool but i dont think he was.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by yeti101]

ofcourse uve only seen an estimate of 300 billion galaxies...compared to the size of our universe.....we cant even see outside our back garden...there arent just trillions of galaxies out there...but trillions of trillions probably. we can only see a few...and i mean...a small few.

as for contacting life in them? did i mention that? i said that the numbers we humans know at the moment doesnt even begin to compare to whats really out there. we can not even comprehend it.

as if your trying to argue with me saying how there must be life on other planets...the numbers when talking about the universe (not our galaxy) are so big its a certainty just an un proven one.

heres something to help you visualise it.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Silicis n Volvo]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATSZOMBIE
Out of proportion? 100 million habitable planets potential for life is HUGE obviously, its not out of proportion.

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by ATSZOMBIE

Way to blow something out of proportion.

It's a very interesting and exciting article.

your commentary, not so much.

Take it an order of magnitude further.

They are talking of one Galaxy.

There are likely 170 billion galaxies, some posters on here have
sound evidence for MUCH more.

en.wikipedia.org...

Those are just the ones we can see in the Observable Universe
which happens to be the same distance in all directions.

en.wikipedia.org...

So one might say it might be the limit of our equipment that
might show that it is bigger than we think.

In the life span of three men we went from horses to space shuttles.

We need a super telescope at La Grange Point 5.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join