It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A HUGEE blow to skeptics: 100 million earths..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

"A leader of the Kepler planet-hunting team has created a slow-moving scientific stir by telling an audience at a high-tech conference that our galaxy could harbor 100 million Earths, based on the space mission's raw data. The resulting buzz focuses not only on the findings, but also on the means by which they came to light."

What does this mean? It means yet again, that those who proclaim 'the world is flat' days are numbered. That not only is life common, that they have & are here already. Studying, watching & even interacting with us in some way that we cant understand.
Any number of species out there who have a million years of evolution on us has the technology to traverse space, not using rocket engines or breaking the impossible speed of light barrier but in some other fashion we cant even imagine. It seems anything is possible in this amazing universe and those who will not open their eyes will be laughed at in the upcoming revolution!

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSZOMBIE

Way to blow something out of proportion.

It's a very interesting and exciting article.

your commentary, not so much.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Sounds like he was refering to the drake equation. It also sounds like more and more scientists are jumping on the bandwagon for disclosure.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Good thread s&f. It seems this disclosure thing is going to be spoon fed to us in little peices of information here and there...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Actually he wasn't, you should watch it and see what he's referring too..its data from the new Kepler telescope..not an equation

Originally posted by Spike360
Sounds like he was refering to the drake equation. It also sounds like more and more scientists are jumping on the bandwagon for disclosure.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Out of proportion? 100 million habitable planets potential for life is HUGE obviously, its not out of proportion.

Originally posted by Chadwickus

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Im ok with that, yet even with the hard data people will proclaim its nothing, I guess just for the sake of argument or fear lol

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Good thread s&f. It seems this disclosure thing is going to be spoon fed to us in little peices of information here and there...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Uhhh you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't believe there is life in the universe, that aliens are visiting earth is a different story. There is absolutely no evidence for that, makes quite a good cover for black projects though.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSZOMBIE

What does this mean? It means yet again, that those who proclaim 'the world is flat' days are numbered. That not only is life common, that they have & are here already. Studying, watching & even interacting with us in some way that we cant understand.

Really?

How do you get all of this from the article?

Of course, you know what my next question is going to be!

Proof?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSZOMBIE
Out of proportion? 100 million habitable planets potential for life is HUGE obviously, its not out of proportion.

Originally posted by Chadwickus

I don't see this as such a hugee blow to "skeptics", considering that the potential for life, past or present, on multiple bodies within our own solar system alone exists - something most "skeptics" here would probably concede.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think that much of the OP's confusion and hyberbole arises from the way that Nasa/Kepler have used the term "earths". They do not mean that these newly-discovered exoplanets are known to harbor life, or even that they could necessarily support life. Simply that they are roughly the same size as planet Earth and in a similar orbit.

Most of the exoplanets discovered before Kepler were super massive gas giants orbiting close to their parent stars.

Having a large sample of smaller planets in our galaxy does increase the possibility that life could form outside of our solar system. But it in no way confirms it.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is great and sceptics that frequent here in the Alien
and Ufo forum will have to eat their words, when you wheel
out:
The Grays
The Reptilians
The Mantis-like leader
The broken debris from Roswell
and all the guys who come here talking about their
membership of The Galactic Federation.

Unless all those 'I am an alien' or 'Here's absolute proof' threads
are rubbish... and THIS one is the true information.

I await with anticipation.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I agree with what has already been said several times, I don't think even the most hardened of sceptics would deny the possibility that life exists elsewhere in the universe. To make the jump from that to believing that Earth has and is being visited with alarming regularity (given some of the supposed UFO threads on here) is fallacious.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

A HUGEE blow to skeptics: 100 million earths..

Why is this a 'HUGEE blow' to skeptics??

When you say 'Skeptic', I assume you mean someone who does not believe every post they see on UFO's and Aliens and rationally and logically question what is written?

The definition of Skeptic is:

'One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.'

and can be found here.

Attention should be paid to the 'generally accepted conclusions' part of the definition.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

none of the kepler team, which includes 4 SETI scientists, thinks we are being visited by ET in spaceships.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
No, this is NOT a huge blow to skeptics. At least not true skeptics. You're twisting words around; this is a fairly large dent to deniers. We skeptics, though, still have yet to see direct proof of extraterrestrial life. We don't know the proper chances of life beginning, of that life becoming sentient life, etc. etc. So this doesn't prove anything -- it just makes the chances higher.

Not to mention that all that have been directly found are 100 or so exoplanets of an earth-like size and orbit, which leads to the likelihood that there are a whole lot more.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Solasis]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Thanks for share this.

An official confirm that Life is everywhere in our galaxy and so different from how we can immagine.
S&F

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
From personal observation of many many posts on this type of topic, here are some definitions I've come up with.

Skeptic: someone who sees with wide open eyes. They are open to having their minds changed but not open to being buffaloed. They want proof that UFOs, aliens, black projects, etc. exist and won't blindly follow the crowd.

Believer: someone who sees UFOs and aliens in every photo, video or article. They refuse to believe that people can or would accidentally misidentify or deliberately hoax. They rarely look to an earthly explanation for what they think they see.

Unbeliever: someone who will never believe in UFOs, aliens, black projects etc. even should they land on their own lawn.

Even though I've had some sightings, I myself am still a skeptic. I can't identify what I saw. I won't jump to conclusions about that which I can't identify.

Regarding the OPs post I have always believed in the possibility for earth type planets in our ... ahem.... galaxy (thanks to xxcalbier for pointing out my error. Edit

[edit on 28/7/2010 by SeenMyShare]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
hmm.. so why is this big news ?

Considering there are biljion galaxys.... each galaxy contains billjions of stars... so I think a miljion earth like planets is verry likely..

Afcourse It doesn't mean that al those planets ( or maybe even none.. ) contain life....

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
well seenyshare I am very glad you believe there's a earth type planet in our SOLAR SYSTEM (quote un quote) if there wasn't a earth type planet in our SOLAR SYSTEM we wouldn't be here lololol

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join