It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NHS should use term fat instead of obese, says minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This news comes from the BBC today!

www.bbc.co.uk...

Governments trying to control what language we use? Are we already living in an Orwelian state?

To me this sounds like the foundations for Orwell's 'Newspeak'.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chemistry

chemistry

Personally
I think the term 'FAT' should be used as it is both factual and descriptive.

The Governments were trying to control our speech and lanuage by using the term obese.
Obese was a medical term, coined by the media and political correct 'do-gooders' who didn't want to offend any Fat people...... Maybe people need to be told that they are Fat and not pretend they have a medical condition....

We all know that MOST overweight Fat people are that way because they abuse their bodies by consuming too much........ I shall call them 'Fatties' from now on...

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK

Maybe people need to be told that they are Fat and not pretend they have a medical condition....

........ I shall call them 'Fatties' from now on...

And probably get hit with a prosecution for a hate crime

You can't win!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Geez they're synonyms. Either word means the same thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

PuterMan

So sue me !!

Where's the Hate or the crime in calling someone Fat ??

It's an observation and some of my friends are Fat ??

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

What term is more offensive to people who are overweight?

If somebody is called fat, does it keep them from eating more calories than if they are called obese?

Both terms mean the same thing, so to me there is no difference. Obese sounds more like a medical term than fat does. Being called fat, sounds more like a slur.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by chemistry

Governments trying to control what language we use? Are we already living in an Orwelian state?

To me this sounds like the foundations for Orwell's 'Newspeak'.

I think you've got it the wrong way round.
"Obese" was Newspeak- at least, it was partly about being PC , and partly just a matter of medical jargon.
So the comment is an attack on Newspeak and a demand for plain language.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Actually, obesity is not a medical condition, it is a poverty condition.

When one can only spend so much on food, the cheapest foods are the corporate controlled crap foods with no or little nutritional value. Non nutritious empty calories.

I myself have been putting on a few pounds now that I cannot afford my fresh fruits and veggies as often. Use to buy only fresh food but now I am getting low on funds having to go for the cheaper pre prepared crap.

Oh well, no big deal, Obamacare will kick in shortly and I will get my doctor to prescribe fresh fruits, breads, dairy, vegetables, and meat. I will take my prescription to the grocery store and fill the prescription. Either that or I will be placed in the death panel line. And be processed into Soylent Green.

Then all you people can eat me!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

endisnighe

Interesting take on it - Soylent Green - that thought disturbs me a little..

Back to the Term Obese or Obesity

Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems.[1][2] Body mass index (BMI), a measurement which compares weight and height, defines people as overweight (pre-obese) when their BMI is between 25 kg/m2 and 30 kg/m2, and obese when it is greater than 30 kg/m2.[3]

Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases, particularly heart disease, type 2 diabetes, breathing difficulties during sleep, certain types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.[2] Obesity is most commonly caused by a combination of excessive dietary calories, lack of physical activity, and genetic susceptibility, although a few cases are caused primarily by genes, endocrine disorders, medications or psychiatric illness. Evidence to support the view that some obese people eat little yet gain weight due to a slow metabolism is limited; on average obese people have a greater energy expenditure than their thin counterparts due to the energy required to maintain an increased body mass.[4][5]

The primary treatment for obesity is dieting and physical exercise. To supplement this, or in case of failure, anti-obesity drugs may be taken to reduce appetite or inhibit fat absorption. In severe cases, surgery is performed or an intragastric balloon is placed to reduce stomach volume and/or bowel length, leading to earlier satiation and reduced ability to absorb nutrients from food.[6][7]

Obesity is a leading preventable cause of death worldwide, with increasing prevalence in adults and children, and authorities view it as one of the most serious public health problems of the 21st century.[8] Obesity is stigmatized in much of the the modern world (particularly in the Western world), though it was widely perceived as a symbol of wealth and fertility at other times in history, and still is in some parts of the world.[2][9]

Thankyou Wiki

Regards
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
DISRAELI:

I understand your point, but I don't like the idea of ministers controlling what language public sectors workers must use. Where could this lead? Will teachers have to say 'cooling off time' intead of 'detention', will it become so commonplace for people in power to tell us what to say that we will just accept it?

I don't like the idea of minimising vocabulary. We use vocabulary to think. With limited vocabulary we have a limited capacity to think for ourselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
PurpleDog UK:

Good point! Obesity is measurable (you can use BMI to determine the numerical severity of it). Saying someone is fat can be a matter of opinion. What some people think are 'average' or even 'slim', other people may think are 'fat'

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Well, fat (um obese) people make more soylent green.

I just gotta thought, did the writer of Soylent Green get his idea from Hansel and Gretel?

One other thing to mention, over the years I have seen several severe injuries. Bones, muscles, tendons all kinds of wicked injuries. I was never squeamish, until I saw an injury with the fatty tissue exposed. Little white balls like mini pearls. I just about lost my lunch when I saw that. I do not know why.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I did a little market research today whilst i was working and asked the following question of 22 people..

"would you rather be called Fat or Obese?"

Now the people I chose were on the 'tubby' side and the results were interesting......

17 said - Fat
3 said - Obese
the other 2 did not answer.....

So there you have it

FAT is an aceeptable descriptive term for people who are big boned...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm all for tough love, but I think that, as far as people who are overweight is concerned, it might be counterproductive.

I know I've read that some people eat for comfort or due to depression. If you make them feel worse, then they'll just comfort themselves with food.

On the other hand, if you make it socially acceptable, then they'll continue to eat more because it feels good.

Do I care that the government is trying to dictate what people can and cannot say? Not really.

In your private life, you can pretty much say what you want(in the US). However, as a representative of the government, they should be within their rights to limit what you say to provide a unified front and protect everyone legally.

I'd think people here would be behind this. I saw a thread about someone getting fired for calling watermelon "Obama fruit". The consensus was that the racist remark was definitely grounds for firing the employee. Is it bad that the law allowed the company to limit the speech of their employees? Should Obama be able to go on TV and call everyone "crackers" without repercussions?

[edit on 29-7-2010 by Mayson]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
I did a little market research today whilst i was working and asked the following question of 22 people..

"would you rather be called Fat or Obese?"

Now the people I chose were on the 'tubby' side and the results were interesting......

17 said - Fat
3 said - Obese
the other 2 did not answer.....

So there you have it

FAT is an aceeptable descriptive term for people who are big boned...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

HA! Mate that is brilliant, I was joking around with my superior here today about this very story and he said he'd prefer if people would call him "Plump" because it sounds jolly.

When you think about it though, language is an odd thing. The BBC has coined many figures of speech and added a lot to the public lexicon as well. The government does the same because it is in the public eye. Even after privatization, the national symbol for trains is still the British Rail logo. Since it is pervasive it is adopted.

For the government to use in order to shame fat people into loosing weight I actually think is quite funny, not any sign of Big Brother.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hello All

Having become single in the past few months after 11 years .. boo hoo. it was for the best I have since joined a dating website and I have to say that the Government minister who wants to call Obese people FAT is WRONG...

The word they should use is CURVACEOUS because that's what all the current weight Challenged crowd use on the dating site i've joined....

Just a thought

PurpleDOG UK

top topics

join