It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit Claims College Ordered Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Lawsuit Claims College Ordered Student to Alter Religious Views on Homosexuality

www.foxnews.com

A graduate student in Georgia is suing her university after she was told she must undergo a remediation program due to her beliefs on homosexuality and transgendered persons.

The student, Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree
in school
counseling at Augusta State University since 2009, but school officials have informed her that she'll be dismissed from the program unless she alters her "central religious beliefs on human nature and conduct," according to a civil complaint filed last week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thepoliticalcesspool.org

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
While I do not have the same beliefs that she does, I fully support her having them.

Many things have gone heywire lately in this country, but last I checked, it is still a free country and we are, or should be, allowed to believe how we will...

I think what makes this particularly egregious is this is a State School, NOT a private institution; at least that is what I get from the article...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I would respect anyone who held fast to the religious belief that illness is caused by demons but I would still expel them from a medical program if they refused to rethink that concept. Sometimes religious beliefs get in the way of the science you want to study. At that point, what is a school to do? Grade on a faith curve?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by c g henderson

The student, Jennifer Keeton, 24, has been pursuing a master's degree
in school
counseling at Augusta State University since 2009,

Same link..

School Counseling..

I would imagine once she gets her degree, any potential employers can evaluate her and her beliefs; this is not the duty of the school...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I could see this and pass on it if it were a private school of her choosing but this is nuts coming from a state school.

You'd think with the 'quality' educations these state and public schools are dumping out they would have better places to focus their concerns.

It's okay if Johnny can't read as long as his personal beliefs fit ours.

I see this is their major 'concern'

The Code of Ethics prohibits counselors from discriminating based on a number of factors, including gender identity and sexual orientation. "Counselors do not discriminate against clients, students, employees, supervisees, or research participants in a manner that has a negative impact on these persons," the code says.

Right. Because there arent any bigot professionals out there who smile as they treat you then ridicule you when you're gone?

[edit on 28-7-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Same link..

School Counseling..

I would imagine once she gets her degree, any potential employers can evaluate her and her beliefs; this is not the duty of the school...

Not sure what you are repeating what she is going to school for.

Anyway, that makes no sense. A school should graduate someone with faulty understandings of the field they are in because of religious beliefs and then let employers sort it out later?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

This story makes me want to PUKE!

Here is why...

Evelyn Beatrice Hall [wiki]

Evelyn Beatrice Hall, (1868 - 19??), who wrote under the pseudonym S.G. Tallentyre, was an English writer best known for her biography of Voltaire with the title The Friends of Voltaire, which she completed in 1906. Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," (which is often misattributed to Voltaire), as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs in her biography on him. Hall's quote is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

Personal Disclosure: OL has had same sex relations and I would have no problems with her being in my class or even counselling me! If I respect her... why would she not respect me back as a good christian???

P.S. I have little faith in FoxNews but the principle stands on its own!
Thanks for bringing this to my attention semperfortis

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I have to say I'm siding on the side of the University. Yes you can hold your moral and personal beliefs BUT from what I read into the article is that she is imposing her beliefs and views where she shouldn't. As a counselor you MUST BE unbiased at all times. If a teen comes in who is gay and needs help you don't try and change them but rather support them. I am 100% for gay/lesbian/ bi- sexual rights, it is not a choice to be homosexual. I know many people who have had same sex partners and its people like her that really make their lives difficult. I'm also assuming she was given warning by the university and this problem was addressed and she was told to leave her personal beliefs at the door because not everyone has the same beliefs.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I would not have a problem with her being in my class either. I would have a problem with her being my child's counselor. I would hate to think I have to go looking into someone with a master's degree in order to find out if they actually understood what they learned or were exempt from any human behavior classes because they had a religious belief about particular aspects of human nature.

I guess people are missing the fact that she wants to be a school counselor. This particular religious belief actually kind of relates to the education necessary for that.

It is kind of like giving a phd to someone who refuses to understand STDs for religious reasons.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE ARTICLE: ["disagreement in several class discussions and in written assignments with the gay and lesbian 'lifestyle,'" as well as Keeton's belief that those "lifestyles" are cases of identity confusion.]

1st- This is a Fox news article reporting on a white, blonde woman in Georgia, having 'disagreements' in class discussions. OK. Universities do NOT do this crap over a civil debate. That is toned down legal speak, but even as that is speculation on my part, it goes on to say she is turning in writing assignments that list this as 'Identity Confusion'. For Christ sake. This isn't a belief system. This is higher education. If she were in - whatever, Geology - and was asked to discuss the Precambrian Period, right? And she turns in a paper that says 'Duh, Earth didn't exist until 541,993,000 years later" SHE WOULD FAIL. Its not belief in College, we have moved on to accepted scientific theory. A part of which 'God doesn't like dude on dude action' is not acceptable.

2nd- Freedom of speech is not Freedom to slander. I'll be brief here cause I have one more quick point. Here are the 5 points to consider for slander. a) Actionable words, such as those imputing the injured party: is guilty of some offense, suffers from a contagious disease or psychological disorder, is unfit for public office because of moral failings or an inability to discharge his or her duties, or lacks integrity in profession, trade or business (its a choice, its in their head, its psychological, its immoral)
b) That the charge must be false; (its unproven at a minimum)
c) That the charge must be articulated to a third person, verbally or in writing (lol, honestly dont know what this means, sry guys, I'm no solicitor);
d) That the words are not subject to legal protection, such as those uttered in Congress; (how many laws are on the books to protect gays from discrimination right now?) and
e) That the charge must be motivated by malice. (certainly not motivated by acceptance, is it?)

3rd and Lastly, The Commonwealth of Virginia, and Please click on the link to verify so you can say you did, has decided that homosexuality is no longer covered by discrimination laws (recent as of Sep 2009).
Seriously, process that.
-The Winn Dixie Boss Who came out?-
-The contractor who works on Norfolk Naval base-
-The accountant at H&R Block for 17 years-
All of them can be fired for being big fat homo's and guess what, Virginia has Zero issues with that. So before we get all upset about Miss Jenny Keegan getting kicked out, lets maybe realize the Gays two states over they got it pretty rough too. Then again, maybe they CHOSE too, I dunno, not a big fan of Whang except mine own. Don't forget to click on the PDF: www.law.ucla.edu...

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by c g henderson

I guess people are missing the fact that she wants to be a school counselor. This particular religious belief actually kind of relates to the education necessary for that.

You dont need to be unbiased to coerce the students into sex and file paperwork.

Maybe school counselors are different now or something but in the 80's and 90's they were a waste of space. At least at the schools Ive been affiliated with over the decades.

Counseling is largely a pseudo-science anyway. As are all of the "social" sciences. There's a reason psychology is almost as popular a major as communications among the "daddy made me go to school" types. Just sit back and let the students figure out their own issues. You should never be giving advice to anyone. Call the cops for signs of abuse or suicide. Everything else is confidential. It's not rocket science.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by c g henderson

Explanation: St*r for you!

But I have to agree with semperfortis on the issue you raise...

Who I am now going to disagree with!

The school COULD be a non state school and instead a privately run christian school and she would therefor require an insight into say some christian spiritual matters that a student may be unwilling to disclose to others in authority!

Personal Disclosure: Yes indeed! Let any potential employers evaluate her and her beliefs!

P.S. If I was her work experience councellor, I would recommend that she steer clear of secular schools for potential employment prospects which leaves quite a plethora of wealthy and willing Religious Scholastic Institutions to be a honeypot for her busy bee'ness!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Holy S***, guys. HAHAHA! I am so sorry for getting all legit and serious. I did not realize she was in the Guidance Counselor Education Program, HaHa! Jesus. I was seriously defending the university just on the merit of having set specific standards and maintaining them.

OF COURSE THIS WOMAN CAN NOT BE A GUIDANCE COUNSELOR! HaHaha. I am seriously tearing up right now. Who are the kids coming to see her? The ones with their stuff together? The honor role students, the prayer group and Chess Club? Or is she going to be getting the unwed, underage pregnant girls? The 'sexually confused' boys who looks at Kevin in glee club and gets a weird feeling in his stomach. How about the Tomboy who walks in, doesn't like girls or boys, just feels odd. like...like..."well, it like this Miss Keegan, I spend a lot of time thinking about what it would be like if i had a penis. Like, you know, a dick. Like I wish my clitoris was bigger just so i had an idea. Do you ever have those thoughts Miss Keegan?"

So. yeah. Caught my breath. Ha. A choice. And you know what, it might be. But holy crap, at 13, 14, 15- to these kids it sure feel like anything BUT a choice. The one place in the entire educational system, over any other that must have an open mind is that guidance counselor, for they are the easel up which the student paints their future. (I totally just made that up. Somebody please give me props. or deflate my ego. I have been up for way too long.

Regards
Deeds203

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
From your second link the article starts of very with her being a 24 year old White, Christian woman.
www.thepoliticalcesspool.org... school/

ennifer Keeton is a 24 year old white, Christian woman working on a master’s degree in school counseling at Augusta State University in Georgia.

Why does race have to do with anything about this?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I dunno, you could have seen youth (24 year old), race (white), sex (woman), religion (Christian), or education (college student). This story is about her view on homosexuality being a lifestyle choice.

What does race have to do with it, Rebel?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Deeds203

Exactly! What does race have to do with it? The link original poster and I included clearly states the student was White. Why does the person make the claim for? Does Gay marriage have to deal with race now?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

no...no. sorry. my subtext didn't get through. I was hoping you would give some sort of reason as to what factors this would have been about. Such as

White/middle age/christian/male living in TN would be more likely to think that being Gay is a lifestyle choice than say;
Cuban/adolecent/non-religious/male growing up in Miami would think maybe it's just who you were.

I was literally asking you. But truthfully, I mean if you care to, read my 2 posts. This has jack all to do with any of that. This is a closed minded girl who was trying to get into the 'guidance counselor' field. Like social work. You don't do that for the money. If she was going into this thing to try and make a change, and the thought going in was "oh, well, just stop having the thoughts/feelings your having", I'm glad she is out.

The first post was more direct. I gave descriptive criteria also to try and align the typeset of person with the news source. I can't speak for anyone else, I'd imagine that was their intent as well. It's pretty much the religious people that have a HUGE issue with believe its 'human nature' to dig man on man.

and for real, i just don't get this issue. but thats another post i guess.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
After reading the posts and articles, it is a definate split on the fence here for the correct course of action. Both sides are correct in their aspect and view when it comes to this issue. On the side of the student, having faith and allowing for it to motivate her, and guide her to help people is a good thing, and that is a noble in itself, however, the profession that she has choosen, will cause for her to meet all kinds of people from different walks of life. Her views could end up causing more damage than good, leading one to believe that maybe, just maybe, this is not the correct, cause then the question may be did her advice or views lead to the death of a clinet, or a student. The school has a responsiblity to teach and give students the skills. Now there are questions, if I were a judge, I would want to have answer, and one of them, what is your job going to be after you get a degree, will it be in a more religious institution or area of the country where your views would be in line? How would you deal with a person who is gay and or just come out and finding that they are gay, would you go against the accepted medical view that such is not a sickness, but how a person is born? What will be the age of person you are hoping to work with? These kinds of questions will need to be asked for the judge to make a determination. And it should be interesting to hear the responses. You see if she wants to work with the general public, then her views could result in someones death, and would not the school have a dutry to prevent such actions? Did she do the assignments as they were put out, using the sources that was stated in the circulum, or did she just take more of a narrow view of such, using scripture along with the different sources for such.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It really depends on how verbal she was about her views. I neither want a homophobe nor a homosexual shoving his views into my face every day. We see all of these partisan journalistic hit-pieces every day but have no idea what the context was. HOW did she express her views? WHO is discriminating against her? WHAT is the backstory? We dont know.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Deeds203

Well I'm not religious at all. To be honest I didn't read the article at all. I just read the first sentence in the second link which pointed out race. Which to me is ridiculous bring race into a subject. Don't Whites always get upset when Blacks bring race into a issue?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join